Wappen von Hamburg I - 1667, Scale 1/50

Hallo Community,

Here I would like to introduce my new project which I intend start now.
It is the Brandenburg convoy ship “Wapen of Hamburg I ” of 1667 according to the Corel plan set in the scale 1/50.

After a long search, I finally could buy a set of fittings and plan set of the Corel kit only which serves as the base for my construction. The book by Wolfgang Quinger is meant as an additional reference.

The start of construction and further details will follow soon.

IMG_0377.JPG

Great project Udo,I will look forward to following the build.Why did you choose to just buy the plans and fittings and not the kit?From the builds I have seen on the net,the kit is far from a straightforward build.Will you follow Corel's design regarding the split bulkheads so the lower deck can be detailed?

Kind Regards

Nigel

Tanks Nigel and Zoltan

the reason for my decision to go for the plans and fittings only is Corel's choice of wood. They are using lots of dark and heavily grained sorts of wood. For my build I have ordered American maple which I want to use for most of the construction.

The plans are excellent, almost every single piece has been drawn what makes it easy to construct. Mainly I will stay with the Corel design but probably some deviations in details.

Thanks for the clarification Udo,I fully understand your decision.This also gives you the option to spill planks rather than trying to produce a more convincing planking pattern with the rather huge straight planks Corel supplies.

Kind Regards

Nigel

It is looking very promising - Hope to see much more of your built!

Hallo Community,

It is the Brandenburg convoy ship “Wapen of Hamburg I ” of 1667 according to the Corel plan set in the scale 1/50.

After a long search, I finally could buy a set of fittings and plan set of the Corel kit only which serves as the base for my construction. The book by Wolfgang Quinger is meant as an additional reference.

View attachment 90276
Hallo Udo,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

It's time to blow the dust off this topic......

Before starting to glue the bulkheads to the false keel, I want to construct and adapt the stem and keel parts. The kit parts have been slighty modified towards the W. Quinger drawings.

As the kit has been designed in that way that the stem parts are to be mounted on top of the planking, I'am installing a rabbet strip of 2mm thickness to simulate the planking.

Meanwhile the first lower gun deck furniture is under construction.

The lower anchor bitt is ready, waiting for staining and finishing.

I'am still not sure about the finish and components to be used for finishing but tending to go for minwax golden oak for most of the parts and as a contrast some dark stain for stem, whales, etc.

IMG_0395.JPGIMG_0381.JPGIMG_0396.JPGIMG_20210425_163837[1].jpgIMG_20210425_100125[1].jpg

Stem construction has been completed, keel parts are provided.

Next is to start the hull construction with alignment and glueing the bulkheads.
During the waiting time for the glue to set I will taper and finish the stem.

Meanwhile a decision of the final wood finish of the darker parts has been made.
The anchor bitt got a coat of a chestnut stain and a brownish wood oil, followed by one coat of clear satin.

IMG_20210508_113132.jpg

IMG_20210508_172600.jpg

IMG_20210509_085620.jpg

IMG_20210509_085644.jpg

IMG_20210509_085726.jpg

Very good move, that you prepare already now the base for the masts - later it would be much more complicated to prepare the necessary additions.
As I remember the fore and main mast of the Wappen von Hamburg is more or less rectangle (90°) to the keel, only the mizzen has some inclination, or?

Hallo Community,

View attachment 90276
Have buildt it to 80% in the 1980,and then give it away(got children)

The lower sub gun deck from 1.5mm plywood sheets have been prepared and installed.
The bow filling pieces are cutted from Abachi wood, sanded to shape and equiped with gunport frames from Maple wood.

The stern construction has been completed, the plywood pieces are slightly modified in order not to block the rudder opening in the Transom bulkhead.
The plywood was cut out in the position of the rudder opening and a piece of maple inserted. The wale below the opening has been prepared and painted prior to the fixation of the transom bulkhead.

IMG_20210627_102953.jpg

IMG_20210627_103010.jpg

IMG_20210627_103043.jpg

IMG_20210627_103020.jpg

IMG_20210627_124735.jpg

IMG_20210629_170104.jpg

Back