WHAT ABOUT LATHES....

I happen to have an old 1950:s lathe made by the swedish company Asbrink from Malmoe. It was given to me by an literaly old friend just a couple of years before he passed away. It is a highly treasured pice of equipment both from a practical and a sentimental point of view.

View attachment 196296
This is really a high value lathe - in every aspect - and I guess also a high weight lathe..... -> 200 kg?

A lovely lathe, almost like a Myford.
Yes I think it is very closly related to the Myford series of lathes. The main difference I think is the bed. I belive that the main difference is the bed. My lathe have a prismatic bed, but I belive that Myfords bed is flat.

This is really a high value lathe - in every aspect - and I guess also a high weight lathe..... -> 200 kg?
Yes, I think that the weight is somewhere around 200 kg. We had to be two persons to lift it. I also had to use my hydraulic garage jack to be able to lift the jack and bench when leveling out.

Look for a Jet BD 8 lathe quite compact but sturdy probably in Canada to buy. Precision and, importantly, durability, you will be satisfied

jet-bd-8-1.jpg

Look for a Jet BD 8 lathe quite compact but sturdy probably in Canada to buy. Precision and, importantly, durability, you will be satisfied
That comes "from a galaxy far, far away" per Star Trek, compared to my small hobby lathe that just sits like a baby on my small desk work bench for which I ask very little and receive the same. Rich (PT-2)

I have two lathes...a 1965 South Bend 9" and a smaller Sherline with a 3C headstock....that way I can use the same 3C collets on both lathes. Photo of my South Bend is below, and here is a link to the Sherline page with details of the 3C headstock:
That is larger one is in its own galaxy far beyond my own small "hobby" lathe. Looks like you can do some serious work with it.
Rich

That is larger one is in its own galaxy far beyond my own small "hobby" lathe. Looks like you can do some serious work with it.
Rich
Yes Rich, the 9" is far bigger than required for model shipbuilding...but as they say, you can make small parts on a big lathe, but you cannot make big parts on a small lathe!...HaHa. I'm fortunate in that during the 20 years I have owned this lathe I've been about to obtain all the tooling I need to do most any lathe operation needed. Here is a photo showing the tooling rack I made for the lathe. On important thing when considering a lathe or mill, regardless of size, is that one should allow fully half the budget to apply to the purchase of various tooling...without tooling the basic lathe or mill is very limited in capability.
Lathe tooling rack-2021.jpg

Yes Rich, the 9" is far bigger than required for model shipbuilding...but as they say, you can make small parts on a big lathe, but you cannot make big parts on a small lathe!...HaHa. I'm fortunate in that during the 20 years I have owned this lathe I've been about to obtain all the tooling I need to do most any lathe operation needed. Here is a photo showing the tooling rack I made for the lathe. On important thing when considering a lathe or mill, regardless of size, is that one should allow fully half the budget to apply to the purchase of various tooling...without tooling the basic lathe or mill is very limited in capability.
View attachment 233329
Have to admit my Montana youth days exploring the praries for arrowheads. You have an impressive collection of Clovis points on the wall. Rich

I have a Taig. Great little lathe and more of a “makers” lathe as all the parts are sold separately too. Some people make crazy machines with them. It comes I handy haven’t used it for wood yet but for plastic, brass and alum upon turning it works great. Wish they made a keyed scroll chuck for it though.

Attachments

• 2405762C-F958-4647-9B29-608CF29EE689.jpeg
    2405762C-F958-4647-9B29-608CF29EE689.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 10
Back