What can be done to prevent seeing unwanted stuff through windows?

I am working on the hull of HMS Victory from a kit. Victory has many stern quarters windows. I plan making semi transparent windows with mica glazing. Behind these windows there will be internals which are better not to be seen. What is normally done by modellers to prevent seeing unwanted stuff through windows?

IMG_6593.JPG

Black paint.
I use blackboard paint. It is extremely matte ("flat") and creates a 'black hole' behind windows, in cargo holds etc.

You want frosted windows, the sort frequently used in 1st floor windows to prevent people from looking in from outside. That way, it looks like glass, but it's too foggy to make out the details inside. Internal light can still pass through the window.

Put in some walls and a bit of furniture. In the Discovery I put a map table, a dining table and a picture of King George III. It was not that difficult and a break from decking and carlings.

I use the material that that is used to tint automotive glass applied over the clear acetate for the windows. It is available from any custom automotive store and easy to apply as it is adhesive on one side.

1711552436385.jpeg

I would make up a mockup of the cabin area containing the windows, of cardboard. Not with accurately-sized windows or anything, but just with about the same total area of window to let light in/out. I have found that it is not possible to see inside detail of models with even clear windows if the inside is not lit. The same way it is difficult to see inside of house windows during the day, as it's darker inside. Anyhow, you could judge by yourself what if any detail you can see inside.

If that doesn't quite do it for you (the Victory certainly has a lot of stern windows), paint everything visible inside black. This will usually prevent any detail, like framing and bulkheads, from being seen in this dark area.

As a last resort, simply paint the back side of the windows black or dark gray. You still get the "glass" reflection (which also helps prevent seeing through), but it just looks dark inside.

I am working on the hull of HMS Victory from a kit. Victory has many stern quarters windows. I plan making semi transparent windows with mica glazing. Behind these windows there will be internals which are better not to be seen. What is normally done by modellers to prevent seeing unwanted stuff through windows?

IMG_6593.JPG
Y.T. I am surprised after following your build that you have not furnished a full set of furniture for the captain and officers. How in the world will they get along without their comforts?

Back