Whipping shroud pairs

Although the Serv-o-matic looks very nice (apparently their site is down due to maintenance work) in cherry wood, I plumbed for the Domanoff solution and ordered the full version with endless rope and motor. Now awaitung delivery.
Stay safe.
Trevor.
I had the same down for maintenance when I tried to order and the price went up when the shop opened. After using it for while I modified the turning handle by adding aluminum push pins to better fit my fingers and easier turning. I also modified the left output side with an extension of wood and a smooth turning groove so that longer lines being served could lead on to two wood spools for larger diameter take-up than the small nails. I'll have to look up the Domanoff as I am not familiar with that machine and the lengths that are feasible. PT-2 (RIch)

Rich,
Going by the responses on this site and the resonance in general concerning the Domanoff solution this device seems to be a good choice. I paid 145 € including shipping and Pypal fee. This price may vary according to the exchange rate USD to GBP or to EUROs. The price quoted on the Domanoff site is currently 160 USD.
If not already done so have a look at his site at https://shipworkshop.com/products/tools/sm4 for more info on the different variants of his serving machine.
Hope that helps (HTH).
Trevor

Rich,
Going by the responses on this site and the resonance in general concerning the Domanoff solution this device seems to be a good choice. I paid 145 € including shipping and Pypal fee. This price may vary according to the exchange rate USD to GBP or to EUROs. The price quoted on the Domanoff site is currently 160 USD.
If not already done so have a look at his site at https://shipworkshop.com/products/tools/sm4 for more info on the different variants of his serving machine.
Hope that helps (HTH).
Trevor
Thanks for the pricing. I did look at their site and options but still am not sure what each one or combination do. I hope that this will "serve" you for many builds to come and repay the price. They offer many more options for production than the Serv-O-Matic. RIch

I highly suggest using good quality beeswax. 1) it keeps the fuzzies down 2) the wax keeps the line stiff and acts sort of like a sticky so that the line will not come springing back off.
I'll second what @Donnie said. Also, some sort of mechanism for serving is well worth the investment in time savings if your modeling budget allows for it. These can be made from scratch easily enough, but I splurged (on my librarian budget) for the Domanoff SM4 Rope Serving Machine and haven't regretted it. The gearing is quite precise, and It works very smoothly (much more so than the Serv-o-Matic in my experience). That really speeds things along.

If you have the interest in making your own, this post at MSW gives a good view of the necessary arrangement of parts The main thing is that the core rope itself should be rotated consistently, without twisting instead of turning, letting you feed the marline (serving line) around it as it rotates in place.

Here is another really nice home-built server, with a little demo.

Also, @WarrLight , I notice that the line you are using for the serving (wrap) is quite large. It appears to be roughly the same size as your shroud rope. The marline would be a tarred twine and would be a fraction of the size of the shroud being served. See this image of the stay from the USS Constitution, and you can see the small size of the marline serving in comparison to the diameter of the served rope:

26-IMG_3141[1].jpg :

Also, @WarrLight , I notice that the line you are using for the serving (wrap) is quite large. It appears to be roughly the same size as your shroud rope. The marline would be a tarred twine and would be a fraction of the size of the shroud being served. See this image of the stay from the USS Constitution, and you can see the small size of the marline serving in comparison to the diameter of the served rope:

View attachment 192638 :
Excellent illustration of the question in issue. thanks. Rich (PT-2)

I bought this one and I wasn't too happy with it. Laser cut wooden gears and brass tubes, clips to hold thread... Domanoff is more expensive, but seems to be much better machine.
I did modify the action sides with metal push pins on the faces of the right side turning arms and a wood output curved to lead to wood spools for the longer lines takeup. The wood gears are not as smooth as I would like but have so far not been a problem. Other machines may be more efficient but for the cost and my own use Syren is OK. Rich (PT-2)

Back