Whydah Galley 1715 scratch build research- Ragnar

Searching for plans and details to start this project. All help, hints, or tips to find information are welcome. If you have an interest in this topic please join in.

Ragnar

A starting point.

Books and sources of interest:
Whydah Galley - "Wikipedia"​
Whydah Pirate Museum Cape Cod, MA​
"Black Flags, Blue Waters"- Eric Jay Dolin ISBN 978-1-63149-210-5​
Update: "The Lost Pirate Kingdom" Netflix series episodes #3 and #4 has a Whydah Galley story line.
Other scratch build books:
"Lofting" - Allam H. Vaitses ISBN 0-937822-55-8​
"Building a Working Model Warship" HMS Warrior 1860 - William Mowll ISBN 0-86176-019-1​
"Modelling the Brig-of-War Irene" - E.J.Petrejus - printed in Holland​
"Ship Models How to Build Them" Clipper Ship Sea Witch 1846 - Charles G. Davis ISBN 13: 978-0-486-25170-7​
"How to Make Old Time Ship Models" -Edward W. Hobbs - printed in Great Britain​
" Model Ships From Scratch" - Scott Robertson ISBN 1-55750-589-6​
"Building Ship Models" Patterns and Instructions for a Clipper Ship and a Whaler George B. Douglas, Joseph T. Higgins ISBN 0-486-40215-0​
"The 50-Gun Ship" HMS Leopard 1790 Rif Winfield ISBN 1-84067-3656​
"The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships" HMS Victory - C Nepean Longridge ISBN 0-87021-077-7​
"Building the Wooden Fighting Ship" HMS Thunderer - James Dodds & James Moore ISBN 0-87196-979-3​

Worth-a-Look Books:
"Prisoner of War Ship Models 1775-1825" Ewart C. Freeston ISBN 0-85177-468-7​
"Cross-Sections Man-of-War" - HMS Victory - Stephen Biesty ISBN 1-56458-321-x​
"The Period Ship Handbook" Keith Julier - ISBN 1-55750-678-7 (Solid Tips & Techniques)
"Period Ship" Kit Builder's Manual - Keith Julier - ISBN 978-1-59114-662-9 (Solid Tips & Techniques)

Ragnar

Last edited:
Another possible basis could be a 1719 Establishment Sixth rate.

The gun carriages would be of the bed and bracket type and the rig would very likely have a spritsail topmast on the bowsprit.

Regards,

James

Hello jamesjn82,
I have been looking at the Establishment period in a book called "The Sailing Frigate" a history in ship models by Robert Gardiner. I am seeing frigates all though they are fit to row as a galley. Is this common for the time period?

Thank you for your advice on Success (1712). I plan to investigate right after the Holiday.

Thanks again,

Randy Erickson (AKA Ragnar)

I have got that book, its a good reference and yes the establishments had oars on the lower decks for rowing. The Whydah fits between these designs (Success 1712 & the 1719 Establishment Sixth rates).

Threedecks is a useful reference but has no dimensions for the Whydah.

I will PM you over the next few days.

James

Not sure of the source for this picture, but the vessel looks a lot more like the 1719 establishment sixth rates. Gun carriages look like the correct "Bed and Bracket" type and the guns recovered look to be mainly of the 1690 naval pattern.

The book Anatomy of the Ship: Blandford may be of use (though the gun carriages shown in the book are the newer more documented type ca.1732)

The last picture could also be used as a base, you would need to omit the lowest gun ports which would then give you total of 28 and that deck could have more sweeps added. The source and nationality for this vessel is unknown.

James

91c9a1c29ad8a00498f9d9c4a8f594d3.gif.f6a7cbd6344ed75e8d16e24fd6a52d45.gif

Wealden Cannon.jpg

WhydahCannonMouldings_01.png

WhydahCannonMouldings_00.png

Possibe Galley Ship.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks James,

I well look into using this last Drawing and omitting the lower gun ports.

Randy Erickson

How close are you to Yarmouth, Mass? You could visit the Whydah museum there (or perhaps contact them through their website). They have a lot of artifacts from the ship. Watched an interesting program the other night about their archaeological dive site.

Hello Winston,
I have visited the Whydah Museum, many artifacts from the ship but very little about the ship it self. I took a few photos of the mock up and the model on display. As I look over them they seem disagree. I did ask about the model and no added information was found. It is a fun place to visit and worth the time.

Randy Erickson

Hello Randy, that does really look as a great and intetesting project. You did start a real modelbuilding thriller for finding the sources. Thanks for sharing with us!

Hello Chris, thanks for your nice comments. Update: I have completed the half breadth view and detailing of iso progresses. I just found a Netflix series ( The Lost Pirate Kingdom) episodes #3 and #4 has a story line about the Whydah Galley. I am still finding differences in the way the ship was outfitted. I hope to come to consensus soon.

I've been reading "Life Aboard A British Privateer in the time of Queen Anne" by Captain Woodes Rogers.

A entry describing the vessels weighing from King Road, Bristol in company of 'Scipio', 'Peterborough Frigot', 'Prince Eugene', 'Bristol Galley, 'Berkley Galley', 'Bucher Galley', 'Sherstone Galley' and the 'Diamond' sloop bound to Cork, Ireland.

These "Galleys" must not be confounded with the lateen rigged vessels of that name of southern Europe; being simply small, low, straight ships of light draught easily moved by oars or sweeps in calms.

In Rogers' time a ship was said to be "Frigate built" when she had a poop and forecastle rising a few steps above the waist, and "Galley built", when there was no break in the line of her deck and topsides.

This entry was 1708 and it offers some insight into the naval architecture of what the Whydah would have likely been built with.

Regards,

James

Hello James, I will check into the library system here to see if the book you mentioned is available. Thanks for the tip.
I think a small spread sheet is in order to sort all the differences I am finding from one source to the next.

Regards

Randy

IMG_20230313_120940062.jpg

Hello James, I will check into the library system here to see if the book you mentioned is available. Thanks for the tip.
I think a small spread sheet is in order to sort all the differences I am finding from one source to the next.

Regards

Randy

Hello Again James, The digitized book is great, I started reading it and could not put it down.

Thanks Randy

Hello all Whydah fans, I have been looking for plans, drawings, and articles about Whydah for over four months. The more I collect the more differences I find. At this point I am thinking about finishing my drawings and naming the results as Unknown. Looking at 3 different models by others and searching historic records leads me to believe this ship is not defined in printed materials. I would like to share a one of the things I come across, if anyone cares to press on with there research.

Below is a very interesting Masters Theses written by Jessica A. Glickman while at the University of Rhode Island. A War at the Heart of Man: The Structure and Construction of Ships Bound for Africa is an Open Access Master's Theses.

Please take the time and learn from Ms. Glickman's efforts.

Attachments

• A War at the Heart of Man_ The Structure and Construction of Ship.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
Searching for plans and details to start this project. All help, hints, or tips to find information are welcome. If you have an interest in this topic please join in.

Ragnar
Hallo @Ragnar
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back