Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

Those crows/cock feet are something I’m will permanently avoid.
Indeed, that bit was a big PITA. I think I might have set a IMG_2516.jpeg record on that lacing. The Admiral strongly suggestedI I work on my Railroad empire for a couple of days. She wasn't impressed by my knowledge of "bad words" in several languages ROTF

Jan

Rigging, I think you have either love it or hate it. I’m still trying to decide.

Another small bit of progress. The S’B side of the Foremast is done.

79DBCE5C-C3CB-41D8-90FA-E14866AC5019.jpeg

Given the forecast for the storm arriving this afternoon and not departing until late Friday I might be able to find some time to spent in the boatyard.

The forecast:

A5FD5414-EDE5-4B32-885F-97FD84704BFD.png

At this time of year it’s going to be heavy wet snow and hard to move. For my friends in the warmer climates check out the estimated snow totals.

Jan

Quick storm update.

About eight inches of wet heavy snow so far. Our Generator kicked in about two hours ago and I’m using my iPhone as a Hot Spot to access the Internet with my PC. So far there are 170,000 plus customers without power in our part of the State.

Jan

Rigging, I think you have either love it or hate it. I’m still trying to decide.

Another small bit of progress. The S’B side of the Foremast is done.

View attachment 439533

Given the forecast for the storm arriving this afternoon and not departing until late Friday I might be able to find some time to spent in the boatyard.

The forecast:

View attachment 439534

At this time of year it’s going to be heavy wet snow and hard to move. For my friends in the warmer climates check out the estimated snow totals.

Jan
Good morning Jan. I share your love/hat relationship with rigging. I mostly love it however there are times when it is enough to commit me to an institute… You live in a beautiful part of the world however those storms you have are insane. Cheers Grant

Good morning Jan. I share your love/hat relationship with rigging. I mostly love it however there are times when it is enough to commit me to an institute… You live in a beautiful part of the world however those storms you have are insane. Cheers Grant
Yup, great place to live, but we also have those pesky seasonal events. This storm and the one last week have done a number on Firs, Pines, Cedars, Hardwoods, etc. Our development is in a large Apple Orchard and this is the first time over 20 years that any of the trees have had significant damage.

Shipyard update time:

The Mizzen mast stay:

I had a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to start the lashing of this and the Mainmast stay.

IMG_4280.jpeg

Start the lashing from the top block or the bottom block? :rolleyes: With five holes in each block it was a tossup. If I started at the top block the lashing ended on the bottom block or staring at the bottom the lashing ended at the top block. I started at the top because I found I could keep better tension on the thread as I progressed. I don't know if it's right or wrong, but I can live with my method.

Next up is the Mainmast stay.

Jan

The Mainmast Stay:

While watching the countdown to the "Great American Eclipse", I managed to set up the Mainmast stay.

IMG_4287.jpeg

Unfortunately we were to far East of the full eclipse path and experienced only a brief darkening. However we were able to watch excellent TV coverage of the actual event.

Jan

The pesky deadeye continuance:

I have to admit I took a little break after completing the Mizzenmast deadeyes but I thought I’d start the Mainmast deadeyes. It didn’t take long before the cover came off the bad word jar, In less time than it takes to type this, two of the triangular deadeyes disappeared into the jaws of the floor rug. The Admiral and I (me on my knees) searched and searched, but the little buggers stayed well hidden. So it was back to the build and give it another go.

I managed to get this one done.

6F18C39E-E4D8-4CF3-9BD6-DAB65B68C608.jpeg

But when I picked up the next deadeye with my tweezers—yup, it’s down snuggling in the rug below my worktable laughing at me.

I think I see another “I’ve got to do something else session” coming up.

Jan

I have to admit I took a little break after completing the Mizzenmast deadeyes but I thought I’d start the Mainmast deadeyes. It didn’t take long before the cover came off the bad word jar, In less time than it takes to type this, two of the triangular deadeyes disappeared into the jaws of the floor rug. The Admiral and I (me on my knees) searched and searched, but the little buggers stayed well hidden. So it was back to the build and give it another go.

View attachment 441749

But when I picked up the next deadeye with my tweezers—yup, it’s down snuggling in the rug below my worktable laughing at me.

Jan
Eish Jan. You will find them when you not looking for them. Always happens to me….move on to another part and they will appear:D

View attachment 441749

Jan
Aai …… aaai ……. On your knees on the floor …… no picture made by your Admiral?
A little tip: put a little thread through one of the holes when it’s still laying on your cutting mat. With a half-knot, before you start handling it. I see on your picture that you already use some tape to hold a thread. Do that also with the end of ‘temporary deadeye thread’. Then it can at most become a ‘circus flea on a string’.
Regards, Peter

Aai …… aaai ……. On your knees on the floor …… no picture made by your Admiral?
A little tip: put a little thread through one of the holes when it’s still laying on your cutting mat. With a half-knot, before you start handling it. I see on your picture that you already use some tape to hold a thread. Do that also with the end of ‘temporary deadeye thread’. Then it can at most become a ‘circus flea on a string’.
Regards, Peter
ROTF, NO,NO, no pictures just sore knees. At my age it takes no time to get down on my knees, it takes much longer to get back upROTF

That is excellent advice for marking the deadeyes. Thank you very much for that.

Jan

ROTF, NO,NO, no pictures just sore knees. At my age it takes no time to get down on my knees, it takes much longer to get back upROTF

That is excellent advice for marking the deadeyes. Thank you very much for that.

Jan
I concur 100%. Getting to the floor is easy, it is getting up that causes my knees to protest. And they will protest for quite some time, as a reminder that I am no longer as young as I think!

Deadeyes and more deadeyes, the saga continues.

Ever so slowly I’m making progress.

04486F42-D532-4370-B9CE-7262DB5B2816.jpeg

Next on the agenda is item #8 in the rigging plan below. The last twelve deadeyes.

4671F3B6-9165-4719-A4E2-FFBFE8A506C5.jpeg

Rigging item “A” was a finicky bit of work. I think in hindsight that should have been done after the Top was glued to the Foremast and before the Foremast Shrouds were rigged.

Jan

Sneaking up on it, Jan! Seems that you have figured out a workable method...
I don't know about having found a workable method, I work at it until I finally get it. I'm still learning as I go. I've finally managed to figure out how to use tweezers in each hand to tie a knot. My fingers are just to fumbly and clumsy to work in tight spaces.

Jan

Back