Window on the ship's hull - how to imitate the window glass

Can somebody tell me what is good way to imitate the glass on the window. I have made the frame of the window (Al pipe with inner diameter 6 mm). Is there some plastic mass to drop it in the frame?

DSC00827b.jpg

Premuda 16.jpg

Last edited:
For me, any rigid transparent packaging will do. I usually paint the back side in black (not the conventional, but unrealistic blue, brrr!). If the window requires glass in lead, I glue black coloured curtain fabric diagonally on the front, with PVA glue.

Happy modeling

Hi, Jean-Pierre! I used FIMO EFFECT (white translucent) to immitate the window glass. It is not transparent, I will see how it will look like.

DSC00862.JPG

Some more info on what I shared

Specifications:

Size you can choice : 18mmx18mm

Thickness: 0.006" (0.13 - 0.17 mm)

Zoly, thank you for the advice. Yes, this solution can be also tested. And the cutting is tricky, I agree. :)

I just discovered this thread so sorry for the late reply.
The best method I have used to imitate glass on ships is the disc of the old floppy discs.
It is highly reflective and dark and looks good at the smaller scale.
These days they're getting harder to find (unless you kept a few from the 'olden days')

I always use transparent foil that is usually used for overhead projectors (you know when you make presentations with permanent color markers on the foil to project it.

They are so easily cut to any shapes, transparent like a real glass, thin enough and in the same time thick enough to imitate glass window, could be glued by pvc or acrylic glues, and once fitted into the frame- indistinguishable from the real glass. Such foil windows could be even curved to imitate curved glass or windows without problems. In addition, if you have more small windows in a row, you could cut appropriate strips of the foil, glue it from the rear side of the multiple frames and thus simplify the procedure.
I always prefer transparent or semi-transparent materials for windows which give the hint if the inside, giving the depth to the models (if possible by construction) than opaque materials that just imitate glass.

Last edited:
I just discovered this thread so sorry for the late reply.
The best method I have used to imitate glass on ships is the disc of the old floppy discs.
It is highly reflective and dark and looks good at the smaller scale.
These days they're getting harder to find (unless you kept a few from the 'olden days')
Thank you John! I have a lot of floppy disks, just must to remove the dust. I will try with these disks and see how it looks like.

One thing you have to remember when making window glass from clear plastic or actual glass for that matter is that back in the time frame when wood ships such as we build sailed the seas the glass was blown glass which meant it had inclusions such as air bubbles and waves which also meant it wasn't very clear like we have today.
I learned this when I volunteered my help to renovate an old home from '1702' the windows had mixed glass of original and new and looked really bad. We had to find an old school glass smith to remake all the window glass for that house so it would match what was original. So if your going for that true Authentic look not just any plastic or glass will do. Over the years I have searched for the decent plastic to use as old blown glass and the best I have found comes from the packaging of BSI CA glue and Accelerator. I have used this glue for years to build Planes, Ships, Rockets ect. so I have amassed a nice collection of this plastic. included are some picture of the Plastic from that packaging as well as some clear plastic from other packaging. hope this helps.
BSI package
20180906_085623.jpg
BSI Package
20180906_085712.jpg
Random Package
20180906_085814.jpg
BSI
20180906_085745.jpg
Random
20180906_085703.jpg

the glass was blown glass which meant it had inclusions such as air bubbles and waves which also meant it wasn't very clear like we have today.
I have to agree with Joe on the lack of quality of glass in these times.
Depending on your scale that your are doing, i.e. 1:64, I simply lay the widow frame on a flat glass covered in petroleum jell and pour white glue into the frames. The results are quite good. On larger scale i.e. 1.30, I glue cellophane to the window frames and then pour white glue.
As you know white glue dries almost clear and there's a concave appearance around the edges to simulate the period processes back then.
Happymodeling
Greg

Back