Wood for HMS Victory 1:50

Currently I am at the point where I have to choose the material, I am going to work with to build the hull,

I am torn between oak and maple.

I made 2 samples and I wonder what people think about those materials, which in your opinion is better to build the model in 1:50 scale?

Or maybe I should abandon maple and oak and go for something entirely different?
20200518_002035.jpg

Currently I am at the point where I have to choose the material, I am going to work with to build the hull,

I made 2 samples and I wonder what people think about those materials, which in your opinion is better to build the model in 1:50 scale?

Or maybe I should abandon maple and oak and go for something entirely different?
View attachment 151889
I’ve got to agree. The one on the right.

View attachment 151889
If you plan to build a 100 gun ship like the Victory in scale 1:50 -> it will be a huge model and also a long time period project - I guess you will work (some) years on this model..... POF or POB?
Therefore I suggest to invest a good quality timber for this project.
So honestly I would not take oak or maple !
In principle I do not like oak in general, due to the strong color differences in grain, and your example of maple is showing the different color embedded due to the yearly growth rings......
You are a so good and accurate model - visible on these two examples -> Why not think about cherry or even pear ???
Yes - more expensive, but for the long time you are working on this model......
Oak and maple also have an intention to shiver along the grain, so also here pear has a much better behavior and you will get better joints and edges.....
This would be my thoughts, if I would have to make the decision.....

Thank you for your replays, out of the 2 I would go with maple and with your help I would be reinforced with that decision. However, I think I will go to pear because I have just found a supplier while before I couldn’t.

@Brain077

Yes, I want natural timber finish

@zoly99sask

This forum is amazing, how could I miss the opportunity to use the build log? I want to start once I I’ll have something to show.

@Uwek

Your replay is like the final nail in the coffin because for a quite some time in the back of my head I had a thought that pear would be better but I couldn’t find it anywhere during the corona lockdown so I went with easily accessible oak vs maple.

Today I made a research again and I found supplier (only 40min drive) to get a huge beam of pear. It will have to be 50mm x 300mm x 4m

https://sykestimber.co.uk/timber/steamed-swiss-pear.html

So, tomorrow I’ll get there to buy and collect.

The technique I am going to use is definitely plank on frame.

Thank you again for your input.

In my opinion a very good decision - and I am happy for you that you will get all the timber from one source, so you have a similar color!
Great!
So we can hope to see your building log soon - We are very happy to read this information Thumbsup

I can only echo Uwe's comments.I am pleased you chose Pear.I feel you need to think how you will portray the vessel.If going for the Nelson chequer,you have the option of Boxwood and Ebony for the planking.Ideally the prow and sternpost would be best spliced at the waterline with Pear and Ebony to show the two colours.This is a decision that needs to be made early rather than later.Good luck with this massive project and look forward to following your build log.I would imagine Victory at 1/48 will be a similar size to my Saint Philippe at 1/36.BIGROTFROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

I love the colour from the maple, just out of interest What would be the Estimated cost for a full build. 1/50 scale. I’m hoping to move away from building kits, and start building from scratch, Cheers

Last edited:
Hmmm...there are a number of choices. My criteria for a 1/50 scale, to be true to scale, would be for a wood with little to no grain, consistent color, and soft enough to be workable but not so soft it loses sharp edges. Pear is a good choice. I would also consider basic boxwood. Having said this, a heavy grain is not true to scale. However, a heavy grain is gorgeous to look at. But...if viewing pleasure factors in, then choose a wood that is wonderful to look at! Anyway...just some wayward thoughts...

Last edited:
Back