Wood for HMS Victory 1:50

I am very happy to hear that you are leaning toward pear wood. I do like maple and have used a lot of it in the past, mostly for smaller features like stanchions, pin rails and such. But pear wood is awesome for a POF or POB unpainted model. At this point in my life, when I start a new ship model, I think in terms of how long this model might survive in the world. Don't know why, but I am constantly thinking I need to use material and techniques that will allow it to be around for at least 200 years. Of course that assumes that the model falls into the right hands and that I will live long enough to finish building it in the first place.

Yeah pear wood. And I absolutely agree with Nigel on using a little boxwood and ebony if you can find the good stuff. Can't wait to see your build log!

One on the right looks nicer
A mí personalmente me gusta el de la izquierda, me parece más compacto que el de la derecha, pero luego eres tú el que finalmente tiene que decidir, un saludo, joserraitu

I personally like the one on the left, it seems more compact than the one on the right, but then you are the one who finally has to decide, regards, joserraitu

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of boxwood...last year I got a 3" x 4" x 3' boxwood billet. I then sliced it into 3" x 1/4" planks. From these 1/4 inch planks I cut frame parts for a frame model of the Roebuck hull in quarter scale. (Actually still working on this...it is an on again off again side project) Very nice wood to work with!

This photo is a 1/4" boxwood plank. Notice the fine grain and consistent color.

IMG_1566.jpg

Since I mentioned how I used the boxwood planks here are two sideways photos of the Roebuck project using boxwood for the frames.

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

Last edited:
Hallo @Miroslaw57 ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
I am very interested how far you are with the preparation of your interesting project of the 1:50 HMS Victory -
Did you organize now already the necessary timber?
and which type of wood you will build her now?

Speaking of boxwood...last year I got a 3" x 4" x 3' boxwood billet. I then sliced it into 3" x 1/4" planks. From these 1/4 inch planks I cut frame parts for a frame model of the Roebuck hull in quarter scale. (Actually still working on this...it is an on again off again side project) Very nice wood to work with!

This photo is a 1/4" boxwood plank. Notice the fine grain and consistent color.

Since I mentioned how I used the boxwood planks here are two sideways photos of the Roebuck project using boxwood for the frames.

Nice, Jim! Why have you been hiding this from us?

Currently I am at the point where I have to choose the material, I am going to work with to build the hull,

I am torn between oak and maple.

I made 2 samples and I wonder what people think about those materials, which in your opinion is better to build the model in 1:50 scale?

Or maybe I should abandon maple and oak and go for something entirely different?
View attachment 151889
La mejor madera para construir maquetas de barcos, es la madera de PERAL, pues no tiene apenas poros y es muy manejable
Jriturriarte@hotmail.com

The best wood to build ship models is PERAL wood, as it has hardly any pores and is very manageable
Jriturriarte@hotmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Back