Wooden Blocks and Other Parts

Those first two photos you show are yellowheart, Mike. The third looks like boxwood.
HAHA.... The all three are the same part!!! Just different angles with the camera. So it looks like Robert is getting Yellowheart!!!!

I will cut any wood you guys want... just don't ask me to pick it out for you.... HAHAHAHAHA...

For those of you looking for more on this type of stuff, I have migrated to an entirely new thread at the link below. Enjoy:

Thanks Ted...... Please keep following along on the Stern Decorations thread..... it is a long ride that gets much much better!!!

Hello Mike- I'm sending you a few wood samples in appreciation for the excellent gunport wreath. They should be interesting to work with. Should be there by the 16th. I look forward to you comments!

Once the CNC job has completed there is a pile of sawdust so fine it is almost like a powder

View attachment 162963

Vacuum away the dust and a nice 3D carving of a 1:32 gunport wreath is revealed. This fits the Jeff Staudt Battle Station plans.

View attachment 162964

The CNC machining is so precise the part remains attached to the billet via a paper thin sheet of wood that can easily be trimmed away with a knife. This provides a very safe method for shipment.... world-wide.

View attachment 162965
I was just going to ask how you remove the wreath from the billet. Question answered!!!

Several months ago, I began drawing and prototyping my own method for CNC machining scale wooden blocks in mass quantity. This has been a difficult and complex process as I am doing 6-sided machining of the blocks in 3D as well as drilling the rigging holes. My hope is to refine the process so that I can produce boxwood blocks by the thousands. As my CNC machine is a commercial high-capacity tool, once I have the process perfected I should be able to produce enough blocks to support MANY projects for SoS.

I look forward to collaborating with other designers, fabricators, and CAD artists to share ideas and offer my shop for production. Pro-Bono... ONLY FOR SOS MEMBERS.

Stay Tuned!!!
Hello Mike , this sure sounds great as a way to get away from those boxy looking blocks supplied by the kit makers. Will be looking forward to this coming great day.
Regards Lawrence

Here are some of my 3D CNC carving tests. Please note... none of these pictures have ever been published before. Also note the various scales and sizes. Some of the details are nearly microscopic.

View attachment 161305

View attachment 161307

View attachment 161308

View attachment 161309

View attachment 161311

View attachment 161312

View attachment 161314

View attachment 161316
@mrshanks,
I really like your results!
Could you tell me which tool you used for the smallest part?

Back