YQ Bluenose Ted R

Thanks transom fits where I have it. Their is a fundamental problem with the height of the deck beams at the last 2-3 locations. They are a little high because the beam supports were a little high at the same area. That said, with a little tweaking I think it's going to work.

Looking ahead at the planking instruction page 21. And making a regular inspection in my master garden.
I see the three plank pattern but does the first plank below part 31/32 go on in one piece.
All the photos I have found don't show a break in this plank.
Best regards
Ted
IMG20240626083603.jpg

For the planking below part 31/32 use page 21 as well (the edge of part 31 at frame 27 governs the distribution of the butt joints of the planks):

The part 31/32 does not follow the pattern indicated. All the photos on the instructions are so blurry or enlarge so poo I can't be really sure I'm going to do this right.
Ted

I understand the three plank pattern. I don't know what the plank length should be. I still have not been able to find a photo with enough resolution to allow me confidence in the plank length. The instructions are too blurry, the side views on the plans omit the butt joints. So far going through the build logs shows breaks on frames other than those listed in the instructions.
Please help.
Ted

Here is my spacing. I tried copying Deans @Dean62. I don't remember what lengths, but I do remember working it out where I used a two-board skip between aligned butt joints (except maybe a couple of three board skips at the bow area). I get a headache just thinking about it again. This would be very difficult to explain Ted. Draw paper strakes cut them out and practice taping them in place until you get what you're looking for.

IMG_2601.jpg
Good Luck!

Here is my spacing. I tried copying Deans @Dean62. I don't remember what lengths, but I do remember working it out where I used a two-board skip between aligned butt joints (except maybe a couple of three board skips at the bow area). I get a headache just thinking about it again. This would be very difficult to explain Ted. Draw paper strakes cut them out and practice taping them in place until you get what you're looking for.

View attachment 456138
Good Luck!
Thank you Daniel. That photo is exactly what I needed.
Ted

Thank you for the photo. I fully understand the concept of the three plank pattern I seems that the plank length varies per location.
At any rate I've got a plan and have started. So far it seems to be working.
Best regards,
Ted IMG20240628112508.jpgIMG20240628112450.jpg

I don't see any tapering of the planks until almost the bottom of the hull. Did you taper earlier that that? I'm at discovering installed with full planks.
Im really happy with the results so far.
Regards,
Ted

Here's my first plank where it was beveled, tapered and IMG20240629070724.jpgtwisted. A little heat from the plank bender and the pear wood twisted right into place.
Taking it slow. Had to shim out one frame where it was low but I'm really pleased.
Happy modeler,
Ted

I don't see any tapering of the planks until almost the bottom of the hull.
That’s correct, Ted. You only need 2 or 3 tappers nearby the keel in the front.
PS: Perhaps some more sanding on the outside of the frames to get a nice flow for the planks.
If a frame is a bit receding, you can fill it slightly to get the smooth line again. If necessary, use some thicker paper. As a stripe that is a bit smaller than the frame. You won't see anything about that later.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
That’s correct, Ted. You only need 2 or 3 tappers nearby the keel in the front.
PS: Perhaps some more sanding on the outside of the frames to get a nice flow for the planks.
If a frame is a bit receding, you can fill it slightly to get the smooth line again. If necessary, use some thicker paper. As a stripe that is a bit smaller than the frame. You won't see anything about that later.
Regards, Peter
I've been filling in with wood shims where needed. I'll stop now for a general round of sanding. All in all I'm pretty pleased considering that this is my first plank on frame model.IMG20240629133207.jpgIMG20240629133114.jpgIMG20240629133119.jpgIMG20240629133105.jpg

Nine rows of planking done on the port side. Planking ,complete on the starboard. It doesn't look exactly like the plans but every piece is chamfored, tapered and beveled to the best of my abilities. Actually looks pretty to me. I'm sure if I tore it out I ,would get it a little closer to the plans but I'm going with what is in place. His has really been a learning experience.
Best regards,
Ted

Almost 75% done with the planking. The three row spacings pattern is working great. I now understand how the rabbets work. Also figured out the portion of the planking that does off into the stern area.
If I were to build another of this model it would be much nicer and precise.
Happy modeling,
TedIMG20240630154145.jpg

What should I use for wood filler on the small gaps on the painted side of my model.
Best regards,
Ted

I'm down to the last two planks on the Port side. While not precise or perfect I am quite pleased with my efforts.
If course the next step is sanding and filling. I don't know what product to use for filling. I have a bottle of Model Lite, light weight filler I used on the VA Swift project
I am also aware of using wood glue in the cracks and sanding to fill the gaps with sawdust. Are either of these methods suitable or should I purchase something else?
Beyond the sanding stage will be finishing. All the models in the build logs seen to be really consistent as to color shades.
I don't know what brand of paint to use or the color. I'm afraid to purchase anything on Amazon and my local hobby shop always points me to something they have in stock.
I know model looks a little ragged and amateurish but I really want to get this right to the best of my abilities.
Btw, I don't have an airbrush.
Would one of you please take a moment and pass along the products and colors you used for finishing.
Thank you,
TedIMG20240702110340.jpgIMG20240702110003.jpgIMG20240702111756.jpg

Back