ZHL MISTICQUE 1/36 Box Opening

Id sure be buying them if I could. Nothing else to support good companies and to marvel at the beautiful kits. Im nowhere near good enough to actually build these high quality kits yet, but it gives me something to wish for in the future.
Yes. One thing for kits is that they do not age unless wood worms or carpenter ants arrive. The stay the way they were put into the box and not undergoing annual upgrades like most tools, cell phones, computers, software, etc. . . . PT-2

Id sure be buying them if I could. Nothing else to support good companies and to marvel at the beautiful kits. Im nowhere near good enough to actually build these high quality kits yet, but it gives me something to wish for in the future.
Yes, It seems to me that you are an optimist as there is no future in pessimism. Having a forward looking stock of kits/builds is like "don't retire from something. . . retire to something!" It is a question of how many years we will be given in retirement or how long we have our vision and necessary senses to carry out a build or anything else. PT-2

The stay the way they were put into the box and not undergoing annual upgrades like most tools, cell phones, computers, software, etc. . . .

You are right - in principle ;)
But with special sight to the Asian (mostly China, but also Russia) Kits I noticed that they are continually reworked, refined and upgraded!

I love companies that always try to "better" their product and keep working for their customers! - and that's also very helpful for my "selfrestriction" in buying all the Kits I like and staple them at home ... I let them "mature" till I have time - and skill!! - to build them ;)
It's actually the first time now I bought two kits (Alert and LeCoureur) at the same time.

Remember...any and every kit is “one part at a time.” When you focus on the one part even monster kits become doable!

Remember...any and every kit is “one part at a time.” When you focus on the one part even monster kits become doable!
Yes, It becomes a question of how much time that we have so we have to enjoy every part and moment of the build along the way. I guess that many kits or monster kits keep our minds optimistic that we will have that time. PT-2

Yes, It becomes a question of how much time that we have so we have to enjoy every part and moment of the build along the way. I guess that many kits or monster kits keep our minds optimistic that we will have that time. PT-2
In clearing out a closet for something I came across an old Guillow's Stearman PT=17 trainer in balsa with a 28 inch wing span. . . still hangered in the box since 1967. I didn't do it because I started building model RC sailplanes which had 8 ft. wingspans and were more fun to fly than a 28-in wingspan Steramen gathering dust hanging from the ceiling. Oh yes, I notice that the box said "flying model kit" which would have to have been the old twisted rubber band propulsion system. Toss and crash!!!! No control after the toss off. RC was a lot more fun as controllable. PT-2

I remember building one or two of those rubber band powered flying airplane models! Yes...wind...fly...crash! One thing I remember is it taking forever to wind the multi strand rubber band to get enough torque to work. Fun times as a kid...
A more careful reading of the box says that the model can be set up for: .049 gas U-line. Being Balsa I don't know what stronger wood or plywood bulkhead is provided to not damage the nose when spinning the prop over and over in starting. PT-2

A more careful reading of the box says that the model can be set up for: .049 gas U-line. Being Balsa I don't know what stronger wood or plywood bulkhead is provided to not damage the nose when spinning the prop over and over in starting. PT-2
If I recall most balsa kits had a thin plywood bulkhead in the nose for mounting props or even the small engines...I remember screwing the fuel engines to the bulkhead And fitting a thin plastic cowling over it...which usually melted off the first long run of the engine...oh well...

If I recall most balsa kits had a thin plywood bulkhead in the nose for mounting props or even the small engines...I remember screwing the fuel engines to the bulkhead And fitting a thin plastic cowling over it...which usually melted off the first long run of the engine...oh well...
[/QUOTE
Yes, there is a thin white plastic "cowling" simulating a radial engine in the box, patiently waiting for a certified aviation mechanic to assemble and give it a coat of paint. Keep waiting old box. I have ships to build and imaginary voyages to sail and not stand turning around like a merry-go-round going nowhere except down eventually. PT-2

Oh, yes. . . also to continue toward completion: a steel cannon barrel that I turned in a shop 40 years ago (7 inch barrel bored for a 30 cal. ball) is waiting for a proper carriage, restraining rigging, a charge and the sound that it was made to make, somewhere between the other builds just coming into the ship yard. It will make for a good diversion and way to celebrate the launching of a completed ship. PT-2

Heinrich please consider that in most cases the European model kits are in a small scale. It makes a lot of sense to offer those scales for local consumption. In the US as well as Australia model builders have space to built larger models , 1/48 etc . No European manufacturer is making the effort to offer any large models but will bring out another Victory Hurrah

Heinrich please consider that in most cases the European model kits are in a small scale. It makes a lot of sense to offer those scales for local consumption. In the US as well as Australia model builders have space to built larger models , 1/48 etc . No European manufacturer is making the effort to offer any large models but will bring out another Victory Hurrah

All depends..... I am in USA, have 1.5 Acres of land but a standard house size and my wife is asking me all the time..... " Where the heck will you place them? "

My answer : Would you like to buy a bigger house....and then I run... Ha Ha Ha . :)

Its not about the country, its about the house you can afford. I spent 2 years living in Dilbeck (Brussels, Belgium). The house I was renting was the same house size I own now in USA, But almost no land arround. I was surrounded by bigger houses.

But I have to recognize that in average, outside the city, houses are bigger in USA than in Belgium.

Also I have to recognize that AL, Occre, Amanti, Corel, Mantua/Sergal and others have pretty big models too. 10 or 20 cm shorter will not change a space issue.

Cheers
Daniel

Ps: my solution to the space issue is to built them as Almiranty style. No mast and ropes or just the main masts. If you enrich the decks details you can have a superb model without all the space that the mast take. Think about it.

All depends..... I am in USA, have 1.5 Acres of land but a standard house size and my wife is asking me all the time..... " Where the heck will you place them? "

My answer : Would you like to buy a bigger house....and then I run... Ha Ha Ha . :)

Its not about the country, its about the house you can afford. I spent 2 years living in Dilbeck (Brussels, Belgium). The house I was renting was the same house size I own now in USA, But almost no land arround. I was surrounded by bigger houses.

But I have to recognize that in average, outside the city, houses are bigger in USA than in Belgium.

Also I have to recognize that AL, Occre, Amanti, Corel, Mantua/Sergal and others have pretty big models too. 10 or 20 cm shorter will not change a space issue.

Cheers
Daniel

Ps: my solution to the space issue is to built them as Almiranty style. No mast and ropes or just the main masts. If you enrich the decks details you can have a superb model without all the space that the mast take. Think about it.
That style also avoids cobwebs and dust if not moored under glass. PT-2

I remember building one or two of those rubber band powered flying airplane models! Yes...wind...fly...crash! One thing I remember is it taking forever to wind the multi strand rubber band to get enough torque to work. Fun times as a kid...
[/QUOTE
I remember the Kiel Kraft series as a child in the UK 60+ years ago. Balsa , tissue paper and "dope" -liquid glue brushed onto the paper as stiffener (probably illegal now). I see that they still can be bought , but not for the $2 I paid. I wonder if they still find the trees that mine always did ?

Welcome you.I have one question for the author of the topic.Tell us if there are plans in this set for placing the ends of the rigging on the deck.I am engaged in wiring the running rigging.Corel doesn't have a very detailed rigging scheme.There are some difficulties.

Welcome you.I have one question for the author of the topic.Tell us if there are plans in this set for placing the ends of the rigging on the deck.I am engaged in wiring the running rigging.Corel doesn't have a very detailed rigging scheme.There are some difficulties.

Hi Mr Deep. No problem at all.

I will take a look to the plans and will answer you latter this afternoon.

Daniel

Hi Mr Deep

Here are the 4 plans that came with the kit. I hope this will help you. Let me know if you need something else.

Best
Daniel

20200827_141656.jpg20200827_141543.jpg20200827_141409.jpg20200827_141107.jpg

Back