ZHL MISTICQUE 1/36 Box Opening

The upper deck plan for falls to belaying pins, I think it is, is more confusing with all of the crossing lines from item number boxes to my old eyes. And, is that Russian in the lower right corner? I would have to have an enlargement to use as a checkoff chart to keep track of what I had done, am doing, and going to do. Possibly whiting out the done ones to reduce the clutter. Oh well, I am not doing the build and wish you well. PT-2

You could always forget the sails, it saves a lot of headache. Only built one big ship with sails, Wappen Von Hamburg. Perhaps worthwhile once, but I have avoided it since (Ships like La Reale, not in same league)
Even without sails bent it seems like the related rigging would still be present on a more complete model unless all of that is not included and then only the rigging related to the yards may be needed with the same falls and termination points. Just a thought. PT-2

I find that on most China model kits the weak spot has to be the building plans. 4 sheets for the Mistique is certainly not sufficient. I am looking at my Victory model HMS Vanguard, in my stash, the kit offers 20 full scale plans . The plans for my Le Requin also totally inadequate , especially the rigging part of the plans leave a lot to be desired. The only one that really shines is the extra booklet covering the rigging for the Royal Caroline in 1/30 scale
Victory Models must be just about the most detailed of them all , great job Chris

I find that on most China model kits the weak spot has to be the building plans. 4 sheets for the Mistique is certainly not sufficient. I am looking at my Victory model HMS Vanguard, in my stash, the kit offers 20 full scale plans . The plans for my Le Requin also totally inadequate , especially the rigging part of the plans leave a lot to be desired. The only one that really shines is the extra booklet covering the rigging for the Royal Caroline in 1/30 scale
Victory Models must be just about the most detailed of them all , great job Chris
Maybe they are giving you artistic license to go wherever you want with the kit,. . . or else it is retribution for tariffs loaded onto them. :) PT-2

I remember in my early trips to China about 15 yers ago and seeing Chinese model ship kits in a couple of shop windows and very reasonably priced as well. Never heard of Chinese ship model kits before then. I assumed they were junk kits and didn’t even bother to inspect them. They have exceeded in quality nearly all other existing manufacturers.

exceeded in quality

Not all of them, I picked up a real POS and upon inquiring about the lack of instructions, plans, or even a parts list the seller said most domestic Chinese kits do not have any. The builder is expected to know how to build it. I guess like everything there is a wide variety in what the producers term as quality.

Not all of them, I picked up a real POS and upon inquiring about the lack of instructions, plans, or even a parts list the seller said most domestic Chinese kits do not have any. The builder is expected to know how to build it. I guess like everything there is a wide variety in what the producers term as quality.
You are right. Should have qualified my post. Not all Chinese kits are excellent quality but there is a clear linear improvement and development in Chinese kits that many other long established makers don’t seem to be able to keep up with. All the recent improvements seem to be coming from relatively new makers and not just from China. Eastern Europe as well.

Id sure be buying them if I could. Nothing else to support good companies and to marvel at the beautiful kits. Im nowhere near good enough to actually build these high quality kits yet, but it gives me something to wish for in the future.
Luckily I have no yen to spend any more with the yen conversion factor these days but if you don't fish you can't catch fish and with the kits even a blind squirrel can find acorns occasionally. PT-2

There is nothing like shopping when and where you can handle the merchandice (spelling dice . . . take your chances on the roll. PT-2
This is not necessarily true...We have a great collection of kit reviews. where you can see what to expect from a kit and for the most part a kit manufactures. This is why we encourage members to share their findings so you don't have to roll a dice. ;) Unfortunately, it is near impossible to cover all kits in review, but we are trying...thought.

This is not necessarily true...We have a great collection of kit reviews. where you can see what to expect from a kit and for the most part a kit manufactures. This is why we encourage members to share their findings so you don't have to roll a dice. ;) Unfortunately, it is near impossible to cover all kits in review, but we are trying...thought.
No disrespect intended for those that you bring forth. I was just commenting in general when "shopping on line" or from catalogs where I have been disappointed from the results. I certainly agree that side reviews from SoS or other credible recipients are in order. PT-2

Back