ZHL Soleil Royal

To be honest, once the wooden walkway is added above the guns and the two boats are added, you won't see much of the guns anyway. Overall, you're doing great on a challenging model.

To be honest, once the wooden walkway is added above the guns and the two boats are added, you won't see much of the guns anyway. Overall, you're doing great on a challenging model.
I appreciate that, thank you. I agree with you on that. I am however taking this opportunity to better myself as I want to do the Caldercraft Victory next. After the two and a half hours it took me to get one cannon done, I figure I am in need of much practice.

I made some smaller hooks out of 28 gauge wire. Shortened my seizings and used 2.5 mm blocks and it looks much better. That 1mm difference in blocks led to much more cursing, but I think it is the solution. I am having trouble threading these tiny blocks, even with needle threaders. Any suggestions?

0BB55EF8-D142-428F-AF10-2B1BBBCB2F92.jpeg

I made some smaller hooks out of 28 gauge wire. Shortened my seizings and used 2.5 mm blocks and it looks much better. That 1mm difference in blocks led to much more cursing, but I think it is the solution. I am having trouble threading these tiny blocks, even with needle threaders. Any suggestions?

View attachment 352077
If you have springy hobby forceps, you place those upside down in a set of "helping hands", and hold the block in the forceps, then stiffen the end of the thread with CA glue, then cut the end of that stiff thread at a 30 degree angle so it's really pointy, put on your magnifying headset so you can see better, THEN attempt to either tie a strop around the block or thread it through. I am getting used to making gun tackles with 1.5mm blocks! You really have to have steady hands, also, and LOTS of patience. I usually listen to music or new talk shows on YouTube while I work. Since my model has 102 guns, I REALLY have to remind myself that the tiny detail rigging will come to an end someday. :D Whatever you do to add detail, it will slow your overall progress speed, but the result at the end is VERY impressive. So, take your time doing the details. That's what makes your model seem impossible to those who don't build models like this.

If you have springy hobby forceps, you place those upside down in a set of "helping hands", and hold the block in the forceps, then stiffen the end of the thread with CA glue, then cut the end of that stiff thread at a 30 degree angle so it's really pointy, put on your magnifying headset so you can see better, THEN attempt to either tie a strop around the block or thread it through. I am getting used to making gun tackles with 1.5mm blocks! You really have to have steady hands, also, and LOTS of patience. I usually listen to music or new talk shows on YouTube while I work. Since my model has 102 guns, I REALLY have to remind myself that the tiny detail rigging will come to an end someday. :D Whatever you do to add detail, it will slow your overall progress speed, but the result at the end is VERY impressive. So, take your time doing the details. That's what makes your model seem impossible to those who don't build models like this.
Yes, I am looking at the work load ahead and it’s going to be a lengthy process rigging these cannons. I have to keep telling myself to take my time and do each one correctly because of the wow factor at the end. This site and its members helps push me in the direction of quality rather than quantity and it’s definitely paying off.

I appreciate that, thank you. I agree with you on that. I am however taking this opportunity to better myself as I want to do the Caldercraft Victory next. After the two and a half hours it took me to get one cannon done, I figure I am in need of much practice.
Out of the frying pan and into the fire! I'm going the other way. I'm doing boats now: the Galilee Boat, otherwise known as the Jesus Boat.

Either that or use thinner thread. I always use the ca trick too.

How does it work?
Couldn’t find a video applicable to model ship building so I’ll try to explain the best I can.

First, depending on what you’re seizing, make the appropriate loops with your thread. In this case, I’m attaching a hook to a block, so I will make a double loop851D92DB-05A8-4537-864D-554C48E91D9C.jpeg
Next, place the double loop in the channel of the Tie Fast tool

A8B6EC07-43C1-43D6-9D0D-C63412550897.jpeg
Insert the seizing thread in the same fashion and secure both with thumb
30C9D21D-8C99-4E19-A2AD-161750AACF2D.jpeg
Take the seizing line down through the notch in the end of the tool and wrap around the double loop your desired number of turns

4CE48EB5-A3D3-491D-95A2-404378D7D516.jpeg
Secure the loose end of the seizing line with your pointer finger and insert a needle threader in the end and through to loops you just made with the seizing line. Put the loose in of the seizing line in the needle threaded and pull through.

5C59A3B2-313F-45A4-B5A9-5C2B4911701B.jpeg
7642B5C2-1EA3-4131-9BB0-70678979853A.jpegCarefully pull the seizing loops tight, organized, and toward the end of the tool. With a swift motion, pull the loose end off the seizing line off the tool and tight around the double looped thread

BF433B6A-53A2-4E8D-BBD2-C0F2985EE915.jpeg
0891D321-0A57-4CFC-AEBE-EB956895EAEF.jpeg
Trim off the loose ends and you’re done. This can be applied to attaching blocks to yards or in any direction you can make use of it. Cuts down on lots of cussing as well.

Finally got the first row of cannons complete. I am quite happy with it and am glad I hit the rewind button and changed out to smaller blocks thanks to the suggestions of the members. I am also excited to switch gears and get some of these walkways and belaying pin racks going!

4F2E283D-0A33-46BC-9642-E6336037C6BF.jpeg

2B28F56C-3B1A-4FFC-B0C8-CB32C21E87B0.jpeg

Finally got the first row of cannons complete. I am quite happy with it and am glad I hit the rewind button and changed out to smaller blocks thanks to the suggestions of the members. I am also excited to switch gears and get some of these walkways and belaying pin racks going!

View attachment 356056

View attachment 356057
Good. Excellent cannons. The smaller blocks make a huge difference visually. It often the small things which make the difference (pun intended ;)). I think the red cannons make an impact with their contrast with the wood finish. Cheers Grant

Back