Hms Alert by Maarten [COMPLETED BUILD]

Ropes look nice Maarten. Did you cut the bitumen in turpentine? It looks like you were able to wipe off the excess very well creating some nice tinting of the grooves.
I dilluted some bitumen with turpentine. Put it on the rope with a brush and then pulled the rope trough a piece of toilet paper. The poly rope is far less absorbant then cotton so you partly wipe it off and it remains in the recessed areas creating this effect. For tarred ropes you can just apply the bitumen with less turpentine dillution and not wipe it off.

The breach ropes for the guns are next on the list.
Again made from Gutermann Mara 220 coloured with bitumen.
I fitted the breach ropes with rings and rig bolts, eye splices etc before glueing the ring bolts into the bullwark.
View attachment 357362
View attachment 357363
View attachment 357364

Also the railing rope is fitted.
View attachment 357365
View attachment 357366

All the tackles for gun carriages I am working on. Making tiny hooks for @zoly99sask tiny blocks, work in progress, but that is for next time.
Baby steps, but with a great outcome, Maarten. And indeed, the rope have a very natural appearance.
Regards, Peter

Viewed in isolation these steps may be described as "baby" ones, but their overall effect on the ship is significant. She is looking magnificent, Maarten.

Thx Peter, Heinrich for your feedback.
Again baby steps :).
The first gun is fully rigged.
For the 3 mm blocks I have made hooks of 0,4 mm brass wire and burnished them
20230215_204041.jpg

Then I made 3x120 Mara ropes and coloured with bitumen. For rigging the blocks I made a default setup that all ropes are equal in lenght.
20230217_170234.jpg

The first carriage I rigged for reloading, fully pulled backwards.
20230217_171436.jpg

I also made a set of tools for the gun, comparable to HMS Victory.
cannons-on-board-hms-victory-in-portsmouth-england-uk-AEEHYC.jpg

20230219_130605.jpg

And all installed on deck.
20230219_130921.jpg

Two more items I added today are the cathead tackle on the PS side. To give some weight to the block I put some CA on the ropes.
20230219_162724.jpg

As the ship just anchored I thought it would be fun to add a sounding lead which they used before anchoring to measure the depth.
I found a Dutch 17th century sounding lead from where I got my inspiration to make one.
urn-gvn-NISA01-BZN2-977-medium.jpeg

Still head some lead in stock from which I cut a tiny piece.
20230219_164354.jpg

After some hammering to get the shape I wanted I added a knotted rope with a knot at every Fathom (everything 6 feet) or 38 mm in scale.
20230219_172727.jpg

On the inside all ropes lashed on the bullwark.
20230219_172756.jpg

Last edited:
Two more items I added today are the cathead tackle on the PS side. To give some weight to the block I put some CA on the ropes.
View attachment 358392

As the ship just anchored I thought it would be fun to add a sounding lead which they used before anchoring to measure the depth.
I found a Dutch 17th century sounding lead from where I got my inspiration to make one.
View attachment 358396

View attachment 358393

After some hammering to get the shape I wanted I added a knotted rope with a knot at every Fathom (everything 6 feet) or 38 mm in scale.
View attachment 358394

View attachment 358395
That lead with the Fathom-knots is a nice detail, Maarten. Gives me a deja-vu. Ones played in the Brassband on my tuba the piece of music “Forty Fathom”. That went lower and lower to the lowest register of a tuba with the 'pedal notes'.
Regards, Peter

That lead with the Fathom-knots is a nice detail, Maarten. Gives me a deja-vu. Ones played in the Brassband on my tuba the piece of music “Forty Fathom”. That went lower and lower to the lowest register of a tuba with the 'pedal notes'.
Regards, Peter
My deja-vu was last night at midnight, when the brassband was still going on in the streets here. ROTF #carnaval

Regards, Peter
40 fathom, thats 73 mtrs. On Alert we are not reaching that depth :)

View attachment 358392

View attachment 358396

View attachment 358393

View attachment 358394

View attachment 358395

Hi Marteen,
Very well done! the whole work looks amazing. Just a thing: It seems to me the block of the anchor's two ways train tackle doesn't simulate properly the pulleys inside. Four simple holes instead of two continous slots would have possibly worked better... IMHO. Cheers!

Hi Marteen,
Very well done! the whole work looks amazing. Just a thing: It seems to me the block of the anchor's two ways train tackle doesn't simulate properly the pulleys inside. Four simple holes instead of two continous slots would have possibly worked better... IMHO. Cheers!
Thx for your comment, much appreciated and I fully agree with you, but actually in the block there are pullies mounted which are part of the kit. These pullies are on the small side for the width of the block and maybe I could have better replaced them by my own made pullies.

I wrote "pulleys" instead of pullies... sorry for the crab. I see, Marteen. The guns train takles are perfect, indeed.

20230124_212029.jpg
Do you use a hollow syringe needle to burn the treenails here? Just curious about your tools/process?

Do you use a hollow syringe needle to burn the treenails here? Just curious about your tools/process?
The treenails are indeed done with a 0,6 seringe which I soldered into a gas heated soldering iron, works perfect.
See my post about that here.

Back