“Chaloupe pontée de Port-Louis” - 1:120 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I present a new model, although it is true that with its already advanced construction process.

As I made the hull using my usual technique, which I have shown on the forum several times, there is no photo of this part of the process. It should also be noted that the masts are only presented and are not final, neither because of their length nor because of the inclination with which they appear.

And now, by way of introduction, a brief historical overview of this type of boat. Until the end of the 19th century, in the region of Port-Louis, in Brittany, coastal fishing for roe sardines practiced in good weather was supplemented by winter trawling of other larger species. This task was carried out with solid open boats, of about 10 m. in length and 2.80 m. wide, with a draft of 0.70 m. The winter sea conditions are harsh in these waters, which makes it very difficult to work in the open air on these open boats, which is why, in 1882, a boss from Lorient took the initiative to equip his boat with a temporary deck, which is armed against winter and disassembled in good weather.

In turn, as coastal fishing became more and more scarce, fishermen went deeper and deeper into the open sea, and soon these removable deck boats began to be used for trawling in rougher waters, for which they did not present the adequate nautical characteristics. For this reason, in a short time the deck boats evolved, with a permanent deck, but they were made with the same shapes as the large open boats, retaining their main U-shaped section, but providing them with a planking above and solidly decked, fitted with a windlass and higher masts, so all the weight was added at the top and had to be balanced with ballast. But the maintenance of the main U-shaped section prevented placing this ballast (essential in a trawler) sufficiently low. In addition, the righting moment of a hull of this U-section has a high initial stability which decreases very quickly with pronounced angles of inclination, which makes these ships very sensitive high waves and sea blows. These decked boats, with an elegant appearance, showed that their nautical qualities were not adequate for the conditions of navigation on the high seas. Between 1891 and 1900, eleven of them were shipwrecked, resulting in the stoppage of their production and their replacement by small dundées, which prove to be much safer.

94C97AEF-61D9-4AAE-BBC7-E4848261785F.jpeg

9E29DAD8-E470-4518-A0E5-A3F8FADF492D.jpeg

9EF278A5-7ACE-454D-AFB2-0D9D96B95C37.jpeg

9A0E86EF-C960-4F80-BB34-C57C77446A86.jpeg

2C6A125E-8332-480C-9B95-0CB52F036C54.jpeg

1235C70C-C1FB-44D5-905D-B032994DB026.jpeg

20C46DD0-92CA-402B-993B-BD075CB6103F.jpeg

681F27FF-3E0F-41D3-9CE2-2063D6CFC8FD.jpeg

A954EA59-758C-4D7D-98BC-7C124C0BE746.jpeg

54C9052A-4D4D-4993-B9FD-EFC3B0F9E726.jpeg

18EEFE08-91B0-4B9A-973A-6AF9D024F9B3.jpeg

75EDA664-C983-47D7-8086-B2CD5FEEF0F0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I see the progress of one of your models, I am asking myself how you can do these details in this small scale .
Looking very good my friend Thumbsup

Wow - one More small Beauty -> i Love the rigging with the lateen sails in this red Color.
Many thanks for Shopping us this amazing Model.......congratulation

I present a new model, although it is true that with its already advanced construction process.

As I made the hull using my usual technique, which I have shown on the forum several times, there is no photo of this part of the process. It should also be noted that the masts are only presented and are not final, neither because of their length nor because of the inclination with which they appear.

And now, by way of introduction, a brief historical overview of this type of boat. Until the end of the 19th century, in the region of Port-Louis, in Brittany, coastal fishing for roe sardines practiced in good weather was supplemented by winter trawling of other larger species. This task was carried out with solid open boats, of about 10 m. in length and 2.80 m. wide, with a draft of 0.70 m. The winter sea conditions are harsh in these waters, which makes it very difficult to work in the open air on these open boats, which is why, in 1882, a boss from Lorient took the initiative to equip his boat with a temporary deck, which is armed against winter and disassembled in good weather.

In turn, as coastal fishing became more and more scarce, fishermen went deeper and deeper into the open sea, and soon these removable deck boats began to be used for trawling in rougher waters, for which they did not present the adequate nautical characteristics. For this reason, in a short time the deck boats evolved, with a permanent deck, but they were made with the same shapes as the large open boats, retaining their main U-shaped section, but providing them with a planking above and solidly decked, fitted with a windlass and higher masts, so all the weight was added at the top and had to be balanced with ballast. But the maintenance of the main U-shaped section prevented placing this ballast (essential in a trawler) sufficiently low. In addition, the righting moment of a hull of this U-section has a high initial stability which decreases very quickly with pronounced angles of inclination, which makes these ships very sensitive high waves and sea blows. These decked boats, with an elegant appearance, showed that their nautical qualities were not adequate for the conditions of navigation on the high seas. Between 1891 and 1900, eleven of them were shipwrecked, resulting in the stoppage of their production and their replacement by small dundées, which prove to be much safer.

View attachment 188117

View attachment 188118

View attachment 188119

View attachment 188120

View attachment 188121

View attachment 188123

View attachment 188124

View attachment 188125

View attachment 188126

View attachment 188127

View attachment 188130

View attachment 188131