1/350 USS Misssouri (or any Iowa class) by Joyyard

UPDATE: As part of my preparation to start my Joy-Yard Missouri project, I learned that the manual has been updated. The update is available online.
I have compared the update to the original and have a list of the changes of which I found nine.
No guarantee that I caught all the changes but if someone else purchases this kit, my list of changes is available at a small fee (just kidding).
Be glad to share the info.

Cheers, Harley

Kkonrath

Kurt Konrath
Staff member
Systems Administrator II
Blandford Group Build

I like all the PE parts showing the fine detail, but like Donnie said they need to be painted to match the ships natural color theme.

I have seen another large battle ship with PE added and left in shinny brass color and just didn't look right on finished ship.

We will be watching this build as you go.

Hi Richard, Now that I have begun working on this model IMHO it diffidently not for a beginner. I've been model building for at least six decades and, unless I'm losing to old age, doing justice to this kit is a real challenge. It's detailed almost to a fault. You might consider a destroyer or cruiser from the many popular manufactures.. I came back into plastic a couple of years ago from building wood sailing vessels. This is not your father's plastic kit. The paints and the adhesives are different. Nothing that I'm sure you can't handle but their is a relearning curve.
Enjoy, Harley

I am considering a plastic warship. (need something without sawdust to build in our new house.) While I have recently built some plank on bulkhead and plank on frame ships, I have not built a plastic model in 50 years. Are you, or is anyone who is experienced, able to estimate the difference in difficulty between this Joyyard and the Tamiya or Trumpeter versions?
Also, has anyone seen a youtube type build record of the Joyyard?
Much thanks,
Richard

Hi Richard, Now that I have begun working on this model IMHO it diffidently not for a beginner. I've been model building for at least six decades and, unless I'm losing to old age, doing justice to this kit is a real challenge. It's detailed almost to a fault. You might consider a destroyer or cruiser from the many popular manufactures.. I came back into plastic a couple of years ago from building wood sailing vessels. This is not your father's plastic kit. The paints and the adhesives are different. Nothing that I'm sure you can't handle but their is a relearning curve.
Enjoy, Harley

Tigerdvr,
I appreciate your advice. Can you explain the differences in paint and glue?
Thanks
Richard

Richard,
One could write a book (many books) on the differences. Just checkout Freetime Hobbies, Squadron, Hobbylink among others and you will options never available before. I used to mix my own colors. Now there are so many options it could make your head spin. Different types of glue for every occasion. The quality of the plastic and the molding processes is much better in most cases. And the world of photo etch (PE). Something not heard of not to long ago, is an integral part of today's model world. Check on YouTube for further info.
Cheers, Harley