Kit review 1/350 USS Misssouri (or any Iowa class) by Joyyard

UPDATE: As part of my preparation to start my Joy-Yard Missouri project, I learned that the manual has been updated. The update is available online.
I have compared the update to the original and have a list of the changes of which I found nine.
No guarantee that I caught all the changes but if someone else purchases this kit, my list of changes is available at a small fee (just kidding).
Be glad to share the info.

Cheers, Harley

I like all the PE parts showing the fine detail, but like Donnie said they need to be painted to match the ships natural color theme.

I have seen another large battle ship with PE added and left in shinny brass color and just didn't look right on finished ship.

We will be watching this build as you go.

Hi Richard, Now that I have begun working on this model IMHO it diffidently not for a beginner. I've been model building for at least six decades and, unless I'm losing to old age, doing justice to this kit is a real challenge. It's detailed almost to a fault. You might consider a destroyer or cruiser from the many popular manufactures.. I came back into plastic a couple of years ago from building wood sailing vessels. This is not your father's plastic kit. The paints and the adhesives are different. Nothing that I'm sure you can't handle but their is a relearning curve.
Enjoy, Harley

I am considering a plastic warship. (need something without sawdust to build in our new house.) While I have recently built some plank on bulkhead and plank on frame ships, I have not built a plastic model in 50 years. Are you, or is anyone who is experienced, able to estimate the difference in difficulty between this Joyyard and the Tamiya or Trumpeter versions?
Also, has anyone seen a youtube type build record of the Joyyard?
Much thanks,
Richard

Hi Richard, Now that I have begun working on this model IMHO it diffidently not for a beginner. I've been model building for at least six decades and, unless I'm losing to old age, doing justice to this kit is a real challenge. It's detailed almost to a fault. You might consider a destroyer or cruiser from the many popular manufactures.. I came back into plastic a couple of years ago from building wood sailing vessels. This is not your father's plastic kit. The paints and the adhesives are different. Nothing that I'm sure you can't handle but their is a relearning curve.
Enjoy, Harley

Tigerdvr,
I appreciate your advice. Can you explain the differences in paint and glue?
Thanks
Richard

Richard,
One could write a book (many books) on the differences. Just checkout Freetime Hobbies, Squadron, Hobbylink among others and you will options never available before. I used to mix my own colors. Now there are so many options it could make your head spin. Different types of glue for every occasion. The quality of the plastic and the molding processes is much better in most cases. And the world of photo etch (PE). Something not heard of not to long ago, is an integral part of today's model world. Check on YouTube for further info.
Cheers, Harley

I have delayed starting a build log to concentrate on the kit itself. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut but I feel I must share some observations with folks that may be considering this kit.

Moderators, if this out of line I will understand any actions you deem appropriate.

First let me say this kit is my fourth plastic ship build since coming over from the wood world. Each of these builds has various PE levels and scratch build components. I have been involved in model building of one kind or another for decades.
Early on I found there were some errors in the instructions. Joy-Yard has provided an on-line version of their corrected manual. I found more errors that still existed in their updated version. Nothing unsurmountable, just unexpected.

It seems that we look at the kit features and then decide if we want aftermarket (AM) replacements. This kit is the opposite. There is so much detail that I, for one, have had to consider are the kit details worth the effort compared to similar AM offerings. I realize that is personal decision based on skill level. The 20mm Orlikons are an example. Eight pieces X 49 guns. The magazine is a separate plastic piece. Picture how small that is. I did a couple of samples and they are quite accurate.

I started making a list of the discrepancies and problems I ran into. It has become a constant puzzle of parts misidentified, on a different fret than the instructions call for, not shown on the instructions at all. One has to spend time searching the manual because the pictures, while many in color, skip around and if you expect to go 1,2,3,4, the manual shows 1,3,4,2, or 1,2, --, 4. If you compare the instructions to the picture of their completed model in the manual, they don’t match. I have excellent line drawings of the ship in the same time period as the model which look like their finished model is okay but disagrees with the manual.

I don’t intend on giving up on this yet but IMHO, Joy-Yard has obviously put a great deal of work into making this kit better than the others available. And while there are some very creditable features in this kit, the overall package just doesn’t cut it and isn’t worth the money. I could not, in good conscience, recommend the kit to a friend.
I have never written a review like this before and rather be raving about how great this kit is.

Again, this is just my opinion after two months of work on this kit.

Harley

Last edited:
Thank you for your review. Knowing some of your other builds, it has influenced my decision to give it a go for now and will be following your findings closely.
Richard.

I feel I must share some observations
I suspected this might be the case with this kit. Just far too much photo-etch to be practical. It could take years to build this model. I think I could build the old Tamiya kit with a few aftermarket accessories and end up with a model that looks 90% as good with probably 50% the effort. Plus they put all that work into the kit and did not even provide a waterline hull. Big miss. Just my opinion.

I agree with you concerning the having the waterline option. Maybe cost factored into their decision.
I have successfully converted full hull to waterline before in this scale but am still undecided if I will go that route with this build.

I suspected this might be the case with this kit. Just far too much photo-etch to be practical. It could take years to build this model. I think I could build the old Tamiya kit with a few aftermarket accessories and end up with a model that looks 90% as good with probably 50% the effort. Plus they put all that work into the kit and did not even provide a waterline hull. Big miss. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Greetings: This my 98.5% completed Joy-Yard 1/350 USS Missouri. She is shown in early 1945. Finishing some main deck railing work, paint touch up, and a matt clear coat and she will be ready for the seascape base. It was definitely a challenge for me and I learned a lot. I was tempted to walk away from her and did take a ten day period of abstention but the challenge remained. I have the framework for her seascape base ready to finish and she will be complete.

IMG_20210811_165606131.jpg

Very nice tiger. Well done !!!

Greetings all, with the seascape finished and the case arrived from Acrylicjob I can officially consider my Joy-Yard 1/350 USS Missouri completed. The kit comes as a full hull. I converted her to waterline. I let her become an obsession. I wasn't going to give in when things got frustrating so now she is done and I think she came out okay. I may add a crew some day but for now I can sit back and enjoy knowing I gave a challenge my best shot. A great learning experience.

MO 001.jpgMO 004.jpgMO 009.jpgMO 006.jpgMO 008.jpgMO 010.jpg

MO 011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tiger,
What did you use to make the seascape?
Best wishes
Niall
Greetings, YouTube has numerous videos on various methods of making seascapes. I suggest checking them out to see what might work for you.
I spent a lot of time checking pictures of various ships underway in various sea states. I think that's very important. It drives me nuts when a modeler does a great job on the ship and then makes the wake look like the feathers on an arrow.
I used a layer of foil, Mod Podge, a layer of wet paper towels, Vallejo water texture acrylic and AK Water Gel Effects. The colors are combinations of black (base),blues, grays, and white acrylic. One good thing about seascapes is if you are not happy with your first try it's easy to change things, try different colors etc.
Have fun with your water works.

That is a beautiful model of the Iowa class. I have been on the Missouri, Iowa & Wisconsin. My brother served on the Indiana thru 7 major battles & took the Missouri out from Pearl Harbor when she first came out. He was also with her in Tokyo Bay for the surrender .
I got to talk to him about all the details of the ships at war. We were together in business & retirement until he died at 85.
gene1

I just received the Joyyard Missouri kit. A cursory inspection shows that the advertisement hype is
no exaggeration. Even the packaging is first class. The PE is in a separate box wrapped like a piece of jewelry.
The details are really outstanding. The instruction manual is full color and appears very complete. The directions
for bending a PE part specify which direction and how many degrees of bend to use.
I'll take some pictures if I get time. I have to finish my Indianapolis first.
I only hope I can do this kit justice, it will be a challenge in deed.
Hallo @tigerdvr
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I just received the Joyyard Missouri kit. A cursory inspection shows that the advertisement hype is
no exaggeration. Even the packaging is first class. The PE is in a separate box wrapped like a piece of jewelry.
The details are really outstanding. The instruction manual is full color and appears very complete. The directions
for bending a PE part specify which direction and how many degrees of bend to use.
I'll take some pictures if I get time. I have to finish my Indianapolis first.
I only hope I can do this kit justice, it will be a challenge in deed.
Hallo @tigerdvr
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back