Kit review 1/350 USS Misssouri (or any Iowa class) by Joyyard

I just received the Joyyard Missouri kit. A cursory inspection shows that the advertisement hype is
no exaggeration. Even the packaging is first class. The PE is in a separate box wrapped like a piece of jewelry.
The details are really outstanding. The instruction manual is full color and appears very complete. The directions
for bending a PE part specify which direction and how many degrees of bend to use.
I'll take some pictures if I get time. I have to finish my Indianapolis first.
I only hope I can do this kit justice, it will be a challenge in deed.

No. I like the waterline configuration too. As part of the PE there are pieces made to score or mark the waterline. You could use these to get a good
guide to convert her to a waterline. I recently completed the HobbyBoss 1/350 USS Alaska and converted the full hull to a waterline. Worked out OK.

Does the kit not provide a waterline hull? If not, that's a big miss.
DSC_0104.JPG

Last edited:
I just received the Joyyard Missouri kit. A cursory inspection shows that the advertisement hype is
no exaggeration. Even the packaging is first class. The PE is in a separate box wrapped like a piece of jewelry.
The details are really outstanding. The instruction manual is full color and appears very complete. The directions
for bending a PE part specify which direction and how many degrees of bend to use.
I'll take some pictures if I get time. I have to finish my Indianapolis first.
I only hope I can do this kit justice, it will be a challenge in deed.
Hallo @tigerdvr ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Where do you order these kits from? I went to their website, but couldn't get any info from that as far as how to order or what the prices are.
Greetings,
I got mine from BNA Model World in Australia. I have dealt with them before and happy with their service.
It's my understanding that these kits, for whatever reason, are not available through the regular big dealers like Freetime,
Squadron, Mega Hobbies etc.
BNA usually has a very large selection of aftermarket goodies.
Cheers--

Wow... That's an amazing model. You mention that you are building an Indianapolis. Is it a 1/350 kit by any chance? Any ideas where I could find one? I'd like to model the Minneapolis, and I understand the Indianapolis would be much easier to use as a starting place than the San Francisco kits. Thanks, and good luck with your Missouri.

I agree - this is incredible. I have to plead ignorance here - I assume that you are going to paint the PE parts? If so, do the instructions give a paint code?

I am considering a plastic warship. (need something without sawdust to build in our new house.) While I have recently built some plank on bulkhead and plank on frame ships, I have not built a plastic model in 50 years. Are you, or is anyone who is experienced, able to estimate the difference in difficulty between this Joyyard and the Tamiya or Trumpeter versions?
Also, has anyone seen a youtube type build record of the Joyyard?
Much thanks,
Richard

Donnie, yes, the kit has the usual color sheet with codes. A picture of that sheet is included near the end of my overview above.

Cheers--

I agree - this is incredible. I have to plead ignorance here - I assume that you are going to paint the PE parts? If so, do the instructions give a paint code?

garyc, The Indy I'm building is a 1/350 1945 version by Trumpeter that I purchased from Hoobylinc via eBay.

Cheers--

Wow... That's an amazing model. You mention that you are building an Indianapolis. Is it a 1/350 kit by any chance? Any ideas where I could find one? I'd like to model the Minneapolis, and I understand the Indianapolis would be much easier to use as a starting place than the San Francisco kits. Thanks, and good luck with your Missouri.

Richard, Sorry but I can't give you a comparison of those kits. I remember seeing a comparison somewhere on the net before I bought the Joyyard. Do some surfing. The Joyyard is definitely the newest kit and, according to the
manufacturer, the most detailed. It does include items which would be aftermarket with Tamiya and Trumpeter. I'm pretty sure I can be satisfied building this model right out of the box without going nuts with aftermarket stuff. The Joyyard will probably be the least available of the three.

Cheers, Harley

garyc, The Indy I'm building is a 1/350 1945 version by Trumpeter that I purchased from Hoobylinc via eBay.

Cheers--
Thanks for the info... I’ll see if I can track one of those down. Good luck with the build.

does anyone know the difference between the Joy Yard Missouri 35000x and the not yet released 35002x?

later note: the 35002x is a different ship. I guess I need to read all the words next time. :)
Thanks
Richard

Last edited:
From the plans and the PE I hope you haven't got anything planned for for the next 12 months , it looks like it will be a fantastic model when you finish it. And a belated happy birthday from myself.

Thanks for the BD wish. I'm retired so I agree with your time frame. I hope to cruise through this build so it stays a hobby and not a job. Somtimes easier said than done. I probably have a month to go on the Indianapolis.
Cheers--

Back