1669 Soleil Royal - ZHL [COMPLETED BUILD]

I have the same kit getting ready to start next week. Thinking of reproducing all the metal parts in resin the keep the "weight" off. Plus to possible use the duplicates on future project for scratch builds.
Hi Ken
Indeed good idea to reproduce the metal parts in resin. By the way, how do you do that? I'd be interested in finding out

Hi Ken
Indeed good idea to reproduce the metal parts in resin. By the way, how do you do that? I'd be interested in finding out
There are so many duplicating materials out there,,, it's virtually end less. I have yet to try it... but it seems i'm leaning to a product called "blue stuff" and the resin is a mixable 50/50 composite you can buy at hobby stores or on line. IF not mistaken, some of these materials are re usable. I used to work in a dental lab, so I'm familiar with various products but dental materials are a little different. Now retired I no longer have access to those materials. good luck..... beautiful work

Hi Ken
What do you use to affix the ornaments. I tried using super glue on my Black Pearl, but it was not always successful. They broke off too easily. I tried epoxy, but it takes too long to dry, and it's difficult to find a way for it to hold while it is drying. I did use epoxy with some success on the head piece on the bow. Super glue did not cut it. Any ideas?

What do you use to affix the ornaments. I tried using super glue on my Black Pearl, but it was not always successful. They broke off too easily. I tried epoxy, but it takes too long to dry, and it's difficult to find a way for it to hold while it is drying. I did use epoxy with some success on the head piece on the bow. Super glue did not cut it. Any ideas?
I have had successfully use CA for any non-wood artifacts gluing. In fact, the success for any glue reslated issues is 1). very clean surface (no greasy or dusty) and 2). Both gluing surfaces must fit without any gaps. I understand, that on irregular surfaces it is tough to archive an ideal flat, in such cases I would use 5 min epoxy, It dries relatively fast (in 5 min).

Hi Vic
I am using Bob Smith maxi cure. It works really well and dries fast

Hello all
I first installed the windows on the quarter deck. For those building the SR, be careful not to drop the window frame inside the hull (this is what I did). In order to avoid this, I glued the windows on a small piece of wood across the deck.
20210414_164609.jpg

I then installed the cannons below the quarter deck. This is needed in order to put the quarter deck in place.
I only made the ropes for the last cannon, closest to the entrance of the quarter deck. The others can't be seen.
20210413_163835.jpg

I then installed the quarter deck, included a rail on the side of the deck, installed the 6 cannons and decoration on the quarter deck.
20210413_165227.jpg
20210421_112958.jpg
20210421_113016.jpg
20210421_113007.jpg

Next will be to install the cannons on the main deck ...

Cheers

Attachments

• 20210414_164609.jpg
    20210414_164609.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210414_164609.jpg
    20210414_164609.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210413_165227.jpg
    20210413_165227.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 18
  • gaillard av.jpeg
    gaillard av.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 18
Just started my SR four days ago. Hope I can pick your brain as we go. I've been reading ahead and following you and Big Mike. The directions leave quite a bit to be desired. After my last build (Mamoli Victory 1/90) this looks like a breeze.Thankx, Ken

Looks great Gil. Those windows were a bit of a pain to deal with; very fragile.
What finish did you use on the deck? has a very nice look to it.

Last edited:
Hello all
I first installed the windows on the quarter deck. For those building the SR, be careful not to drop the window frame inside the hull (this is what I did). In order to avoid this, I glued the windows on a small piece of wood across the deck.
View attachment 228771

I then installed the cannons below the quarter deck. This is needed in order to put the quarter deck in place.
I only made the ropes for the last cannon, closest to the entrance of the quarter deck. The others can't be seen.
View attachment 228770

I then installed the quarter deck, included a rail on the side of the deck, installed the 6 cannons and decoration on the quarter deck.
View attachment 228776
View attachment 228772
View attachment 228777
View attachment 228779

Next will be to install the cannons on the main deck ...

Cheers
Great job Gilbert. Very skilled execution!

Hello
Good progress during the last 2 weeks with focus around the main deck cannons. Quite a bit of work I have to say.

Hi Bud
Sorry, I only see your question now.
I am using teck oil on the decks. It looks really great.
See (in French) the following link: https://www.freresnordin.fr/huile-sp-teck-p-307.html

Very nice Gil. Great looking detail. Love the extreme closeup of the canon photo.

Bud, Amac
Thanks for your feedback
Hi Gilbert--

I am presently working on ZHL's Le Soleil Royal. My question is more of a general nature but applies speifically to the LSR. I am "super glue challenged". The surfaces can be clean of dust and grease, either very tiny gaps or none at all, and yet--it just won't "stay stuck"--it falls right off. What am I doing wrong. My problem is that I have parts 61, 62, and 65c all glued together and firmly affixed to the starboard side of the ship. Then it hit me-->I neglected to glue all of the half canon mounts on the backside of part 61! It is possible for me to get the half canon mount behind part 61, but I already anticipate that super glue will not work ("Oh ye of little faith"). What do you sugest?

Thank you so much,

Andy from Kenosha

Back