1682 HMY Fubbs 1:24 scale

Hi Lawrence. Are your 'cherries' the 'Hull Moldings'? Those fit on the outside of the hull, between the upper and lower planking, in line with the channels.
I don't think there are any 'skirting boards' supplied, but I do think it looks better with them. I used some plain strip-wood from my stash in that position.

Hi Lawrence. Are your 'cherries' the 'Hull Moldings'? Those fit on the outside of the hull, between the upper and lower planking, in line with the channels.
I don't think there are any 'skirting boards' supplied, but I do think it looks better with them. I used some plain strip-wood from my stash in that position.
Hello Arthur, Thanks for your vote of confidence it is very much appreciated. Yes I have already profiled the cherries but put them back in the tube until I am ready to install them. Yes I profiled a strip of cherry wood for the deck skirts as I could not find any in the kit, still have a lot of parts in the boxes. Been a rough week here in the Old Ship Yard two trips to Newmarket, one for eye surgery and another the next day for a check up and another check up next Thursday. Had to cut the lawn as it is growing like crazy! but looks very nice.
Have a little time to work in my Old Ship Yard and will make a post in in a day or so.
Regards Lawrence

PS Do you ever have a chance to visit the Cutty Shark, seams like yesterday when you were working on her?

Hello Daniel, I thank you very much for vote of approval it is very much appreciated. It's been a couple of rough days here in the Old Ship Yard as on Monday we had Cataract surgery on my right eye, hah it checked yesterday and got the approval to drive again. It is still a bit foggy but improving very rapidly, but all of the eye drops are a pain. Will try to get a bit of work done today in the Old Ship Yard.
Regards Lawrence
Hi Lawrence, today's cataract surgery is very common and well done. You will not have any problem at all. Aging is something we can't avoid. My left hand, when I try to do something very detailed, start to tremble. That makes me be afraid to work again on my Fubb. Nevertheless, I need to overcome that fear and do it. As you wrote, there is spring and time to work out. Here, in sunny Florida, it is time to work inside more than outside, it's too hot already. I will stop my work on my Cash registers till winter, when working in the garage is acceptable. My model ship workshop is one of my bedrooms. Big tools are in the garage, but cutting a piece of wood is faster than being a hours polishing brass. Today, I will put away my cash register tools, clean the working benches and organize my work and setup my mind around Fubbs.

Cheers
Daniel

Hi Lawrence, today's cataract surgery is very common and well done. You will not have any problem at all. Aging is something we can't avoid. My left hand, when I try to do something very detailed, start to tremble. That makes me be afraid to work again on my Fubb. Nevertheless, I need to overcome that fear and do it. As you wrote, there is spring and time to work out. Here, in sunny Florida, it is time to work inside more than outside, it's too hot already. I will stop my work on my Cash registers till winter, when working in the garage is acceptable. My model ship workshop is one of my bedrooms. Big tools are in the garage, but cutting a piece of wood is faster than being a hours polishing brass. Today, I will put away my cash register tools, clean the working benches and organize my work and setup my mind around Fubbs.

Cheers
Daniel
Hello Daniel, Yes the eye surgery is very much improved and have gone back to my old glasses of around 10 years ago, starting to look like I will not need them at all on the fixed right eye, will wait until I see the eye doctor on the 16ths.
Yes I know what you mean about the heat in Florida, even in March it was to hot on the gulf coast for my Admiral, but then I just loved it, she was content up around South Carolina, just a bit cool for me.
It will be nice to see you back in your Old Ship Yard, kind of miss your up dates on the SOS. You are going a great job on your Cash Registers, they look brand new, Well Done.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Daniel, Yes the eye surgery is very much improved and have gone back to my old glasses of around 10 years ago, starting to look like I will not need them at all on the fixed right eye, will wait until I see the eye doctor on the 16ths.
Yes I know what you mean about the heat in Florida, even in March it was to hot on the gulf coast for my Admiral, but then I just loved it, she was content up around South Carolina, just a bit cool for me.
It will be nice to see you back in your Old Ship Yard, kind of miss your up dates on the SOS. You are going a great job on your Cash Registers, they look brand new, Well Done.
Regards Lawrence
I am back.... posted !!

PS Do you ever have a chance to visit the Cutty Shark, seams like yesterday when you were working on her?
I think you're confusing me with someone else. Although I've seen the Cutty Sark, I don't think I've been aboard it. If I have it must be over five decades ago!!
I've certainly never worked on it, either full size or model size.

I think you're confusing me with someone else. Although I've seen the Cutty Sark, I don't think I've been aboard it. If I have it must be over five decades ago!!
I've certainly never worked on it, either full size or model size.
Hello Arthur, Sorry my mistake.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates, The little fellows and I have been busy tiding up a lot of little details on our HMY Fubbs. We have built and installed the aft bench seat, framed and trimmed out the two outside windows, built and installed the housing around the upper rudder shaft and adjusted the rudder for a better fit. We also installed the paneling for the Great Room.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0956.JPG

Hello Ship Mates , Today the little fellows and I have completed paneling the Great Room, We also added a cherry the lower paneling moldings. . Now we must the two plop deck clamps before we can give it a coat of Polyurethane.
Regards Lawrence

View attachment 446462
Good morning Lawrence. So very good. I love the skirting board with the scraped pattern. Cheers Grant

Lawrence,
The amount of detail and superb craftsmanship you are getting at this scale is truly impressive! I am in awe.

Thanks for sharing you and your "little fellows" work. I wish I had a few "little fellows" as talented as yours! Maybe one day!
Hello Brad, I thank you very much for your very kind words and overly nice comments. Yes Mike Shanks has put together a great kit with lots of detail that I love, and I do add a little of my own touches. I am one of the lucky ones to receive this great kit, thanks to Mike's Generosity.
Yes the little fellows will come with age, but they also demand a lot of rebuilds that I can live with.
Regards Lawrence

Good morning Lawrence. So very good. I love the skirting board with the scraped pattern. Cheers Grant
Hello Grant, I thank you for your very kind words and nice comments. With this very large scale there is lots of room to add a few of my own little bit of detail, all though some of it can cause a few problems.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates, The little fellows and I have planked the Great Room Transom windows frames with cherry wood we have planked the inter upper transom with pear wood after adding the Transom pre cut cap. We have installed the two lower rudder cover, and milled the upper ruder for the tiller and dry fitted it. We have built and installed the two rudder savers, the chains will be installed much later. Finally we have given these items a couple of coats of Polyurethane.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0957.JPG

The little fellows are doing a fine job under your excellent supervision. Great work Lawrence.
Mike
Hello Mike, I thank you very much for your very kind words and overly nice comments. Your words mean so very much to me coming from such a great model ship builder as yourself, Thanks.
Yes we check back to your HMY Fubbs build log very often and do receive a lot of very helpful build hints.
Regards Lawrence

Back