1682 HMY FUBBS - 1:24 - Stern Section

If this kit is not available, are others by the same builder? It looks incredible, and at a scale I could handle, if not find a display place for.
Hi Signet

The builder isn't in the kit business at all. There will not be, neither he has other kits. Mike is an excellent modeler, like many at SOS !!!. He loves computers and all the technology around laser and 3D. Something that is a kind of rocket science for me HAHAHA. With all his top tech equipment he loves to create. I call this project a " kit", just because I got it "like a kit" that I have to built. But the reality is that it was a project on which Mike and a few other experienced modelers have been working during the last 9-10 months (Their names are in previous postings).l. I had my grain of salt on it too :)

When the prototype was ready, Mike did what can be better called " a customized scratch built kit". Each kit was customized for each modeler. Like type of wood, laser or CNC parts, etc.

I hope this answer provides you a better background to "why it is not for sale" or "why the developer doesn't have other kits".

I posted, at the start, a MSB link where you can see some of the development project/pictures.

Just think on it like a "scratch built" and the builder did 10 customized copies, " Just because he loved to do them " .

Cheers
Daniel

Hi Signet

The builder isn't in the kit business at all. There will not be, neither he has other kits. Mike is an excellent modeler, like many at SOS !!!. He loves computers and all the technology around laser and 3D. Something that is a kind of rocket science for me HAHAHA. With all his top tech equipment he loves to create. I call this project a " kit", just because I got it "like a kit" that I have to built. But the reality is that it was a project on which Mike and a few other experienced modelers have been working during the last 9-10 months (Their names are in previous postings).l. I had my grain of salt on it too :)

When the prototype was ready, Mike did what can be better called " a customized scratch built kit". Each kit was customized for each modeler. Like type of wood, laser or CNC parts, etc.

I hope this answer provides you a better background to "why it is not for sale" or "why the developer doesn't have other kits".

I posted, at the start, a MSB link where you can see some of the development project/pictures.

Just think on it like a "scratch built" and the builder did 10 customized copies, " Just because he loved to do them " .

Cheers
Daniel
Thankyou!!

Hi all

Its been a long time since my last posting about "Anatomy of the Bounty from AL". We moved to Florida from MA and took months to pack and unpack. My new workshop is far away to be ready. But I need to start doing some ship modeling. The trigger was the box I received last Friday from Mike Shanks.

Thank you Mike for this present !!!!

My built will be slow, as I am still setting up the new house and planting Palms :). Nevertheless I expect to learn a lot with this model. Wish me good luck and a lot of fun.

Daniel

View attachment 385361
Hello Daniel, It looks like Christmas came early this year to you thanks to Mike Shanks. It looks like Mike has did a wonderful job on your HRY Fubbs. I can hardly wait for my copy in hard maple, but with these extended vacations, yard work along with trying to complete my YQ Bluenose I will not be ready to start until mid November at the earliest.
Mike is very generous and has did a a wonderful job of putting this kit together for all of us Weasel Works Members. How can I ever thank you enough for all of the great work and time you have put into this HMY Fubbs kit.
THANKS AGAIN MIKE.
Regards Lawrence

Last edited:
Hello Daniel, It looks like Christmas came early this year to you thanks to Mike Shanks. It looks like Mike has did a wonderful job on your HRY Fubbs. I can hardly wait for my copy in hard maple, but with these extended vacations, yard work along with trying to complete my YQ Bluenose I will not be ready to start until mid November at the earliest.
Mike is very generous and has did a a wonderful job of putting this kit together for all of us Weasel Works Members. How can I ever thank you enough for all of the great work and time you have put into this HRY Fubbs kit.
THANKS AGAIN MIKE.
Regards Lawrence
Lawrence, lovely words and well written. Thank you !!!

Back to the built !!! :) Mike41 has started his build log at MSB.

For those who would like to follow a professional built (not my newbie built) here is the link.

Concerning my built, this weekend I did 1 frame beveling, to practice. Looks acceptable, so I will continue today.

Cheers
Daniel

Lawrence, lovely words and well written. Thank you !!!

Back to the built !!! :) Mike41 has started his build log at MSB.

For those who would like to follow a professional built (not my newbie built) here is the link.

Concerning my built, this weekend I did 1 frame beveling, to practice. Looks acceptable, so I will continue today.

Cheers
Daniel
It is also on Sos

Hi Signet

Cheers
Daniel
If not the kit, any chance of making the plans available for reference or other scratch builders?

If not the kit, any chance of making the plans available for reference or other scratch builders?
Hi Stuglo

Unfortunately this is totally an unconventional kit. For example, frame 37, 37A and 38 and many other parts parts have been produced by CNC 3D. I posted Mike Shanks prototipe development log at MSB. You can ask there.

Example below

IMG_0871.jpgIMG_0890.jpg

Hi all

I have been doing some beveling today.

The method of stacking frames vertically without using a jig is called Navy Board Style... it is a classic building method rarely used today. This not new for many of the SOS modelers. But it was for me !!!!

A few pictures of my today's progress. Nothing is glued.

Beveling example pictures.

20230724_172248.jpg20230724_172325.jpg20230724_172354.jpg20230724_183837.jpg20230724_183711.jpg20230724_183658.jpg20230724_183650.jpg20230724_183633.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

Hi all

Its been a long time since my last posting about "Anatomy of the Bounty from AL". We moved to Florida from MA and took months to pack and unpack. My new workshop is far away to be ready. But I need to start doing some ship modeling. The trigger was the box I received last Friday from Mike Shanks.

Thank you Mike for this present !!!!

My built will be slow, as I am still setting up the new house and planting Palms :). Nevertheless I expect to learn a lot with this model. Wish me good luck and a lot of fun.

Daniel

View attachment 385361
Espero que disfrutes y seas feliz en tu nueva casa

many thanks. its beautiful. I'm somewhat envious.

Hi Stuglo

Thank you for the nice words. Mike41, who provided you the link to MSB, has another build log there. You have probably seen it also. He posted the below drawings so I was thinking "there is no need to post them here, at SOS". But also, I think that many modelers are not checking every forum. So for the SOS members, like myself, that are always reading SOS build logs, here we go:

Screenshot_20230725_130333_Adobe Acrobat.jpgScreenshot_20230725_130322_Adobe Acrobat.jpgScreenshot_20230725_130303_Adobe Acrobat.jpgScreenshot_20230725_130246_Adobe Acrobat.jpgScreenshot_20230725_130217_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Nice work on the frames. How were the burgers?
OBTW, you can use that grill all year long here in Florida :)

Burgers were fantastic. Home made by my adorable Admiral. We changed bears for aligators and 6 months of outside living for a full year here. So nothing to regret.

Fubb frames are coming pretty well. I was afraid of this beveling process. Too much Char. But now I can see that when all them are glued, withe the final hull sanding Char will be gone from the visible frame sections.

Cheers
Daniel

Dear Daniel. What an introduction! I am so glad to see HMS Fubbs being built here on SOS and the fact that you are in on the action makes it even more special. It looks like Mike has created a project that will elicit an enormous amount of interest which is great to see. And like Don says - your Marmara, Pegasus and Korean Turtle Ship (to name but a few) are clear indications of expertise. I am also very glad that your move to Florida has been completed and it looks like you have really settled down well.

I will continue to watch your progress with great interest.

Dear Daniel. What an introduction! I am so glad to see HMS Fubbs being built here on SOS and the fact that you are in on the action makes it even more special. It looks like Mike has created a project that will elicit an enormous amount of interest which is great to see. And like Don says - your Marmara, Pegasus and Korean Turtle Ship (to name but a few) are clear indications of expertise. I am also very glad that your move to Florida has been completed and it looks like you have really settled down well.

I will continue to watch your progress with great interest.
Nice to see you back Heinrich !!! This week I was thinking what was going on and searched SOS to find you enjoying an excellent vacation time.

Thank you for the nice words about the builts. Let's see how this one come.

All the best !!
Daniel

Back