18th Century Smoothbore by Model Shipways

Nearing the finish line. Waiting for a shipment of cannon balls and some other small items to dress up the deck. Had fun making a working set of trunnion caps from brass sheet left over from the Pegasus build. Still looking for a correct scale breech rope, somewhere around 2mm.
View attachment 219928View attachment 219929View attachment 219930View attachment 219931View attachment 219932
Very nice detailing. Regarding the breach hawser if you cannot "walk" you own you may go to a local hobby store like Hobby Lobby or a fabric store to see what they have with quilting or other threads. As you like small detailing you may consider making some buckets, primer powder horn and quill, and the crows used to move the gun laterally and chock it in place. Your station as a ships bulwark and gun port hatch are much more complete than the kit that I had and made. Well done. Rich

Very nice detailing. Regarding the breach hawser if you cannot "walk" you own you may go to a local hobby store like Hobby Lobby or a fabric store to see what they have with quilting or other threads. As you like small detailing you may consider making some buckets, primer powder horn and quill, and the crows used to move the gun laterally and chock it in place. Your station as a ships bulwark and gun port hatch are much more complete than the kit that I had and made. Well done. Rich
Thanks for the ideas - Found some rope at the Michaels in the macramé department that might do. Working on a barrel, buckets, and cannon ball holders.

It was all about deck furniture today. Barrels, buckets, and table with stool. Still can't make up my mind how to arrange each item. The cannon balls are supposed to be in Monday or Tuesday so it should be done by the end of next week.
Smoothbore 042.jpgSmoothbore 043.jpgSmoothbore 044.jpgHey - Looks like someone is working on an eye splice. Need to make a fid to go along with it.
Smoothbore 045.jpg

It was all about deck furniture today. Barrels, buckets, and table with stool. Still can't make up my mind how to arrange each item. The cannon balls are supposed to be in Monday or Tuesday so it should be done by the end of next week.
View attachment 220560View attachment 220561View attachment 220563Hey - Looks like someone is working on an eye splice. Need to make a fid to go along with it.
View attachment 220564
The rum barrel needs straps around it blacked or darkened, as they were usually metal straps back in the day! Other items look great!

Deck completed and a coat of poly applied.
View attachment 215706
The deck and treenail look great, but what is missing is treenails for the frames between the ends of planks.

Normally you see treenails lined up in a nice row from plank to plank, but on middle there is one or two treenails at angle to each other, like "snake eyes" on dice! Maybe on your next deck you can try this.

The deck and treenail look great, but what is missing is treenails for the frames between the ends of planks.

Normally you see treenails lined up in a nice row from plank to plank, but on middle there is one or two treenails at angle to each other, like "snake eyes" on dice! Maybe on your next deck you can try this.
Treenails were a compromise. After looking at all the fantastic other builds on SOS, I went with just the plank ends. I saw some builds with no treenails, some with just on plank ends, and some with them at every frame. On every frame I thought it looked a little "busy" so only did the plank ends. Appreciate the input.

Went back and painted the straps black. Looks much better. Thanks.
When I turned my barrels I cheated the iron bands and turned those at the same time as they were too small to try to wrap and secure metal around. The turned bands were also painted black. Now it is time to belly up to the bar, boys! Rich

When I turned my barrels I cheated the iron bands and turned those at the same time as they were too small to try to wrap and secure metal around. The turned bands were also painted black. Now it is time to belly up to the bar, boys! Rich
Didn't know it was a rum barrel. Need to go and get some coke for happy hour.

I completed my nephews battle station and it's ready to ship. It was a fun little project after the 6 months I spent on Pegasus. I realized when it was too late that I should have added a ladder over the bulkhead, steps on the outboard side, and some netting on the top. Maybe not though, things were getting a little congested as it was, just like the real thing.

One item of note, someone will undoubtedly notice the breech rope is over the carriage tackle so if it were to fire the recoil would rip the tackle out of the carriage . I tried it both ways and it looked a lot better under the tackle. Builders choice. ;)

Smoothbore 046.jpgSmoothbore 047.jpgSmoothbore 049.jpgSmoothbore 050.jpgSmoothbore 051.jpg

Back