18th Century Smoothbore by Model Shipways

I completed my nephews battle station and it's ready to ship. It was a fun little project after the 6 months I spent on Pegasus. I realized when it was too late that I should have added a ladder over the bulkhead, steps on the outboard side, and some netting on the top. Maybe not though, things were getting a little congested as it was, just like the real thing.

One item of note, someone will undoubtedly notice the breech rope is over the carriage tackle so if it were to fire the recoil would rip the tackle out of the carriage . I tried it both ways and it looked a lot better under the tackle. Builders choice. ;)

View attachment 222561View attachment 222562View attachment 222563View attachment 222564View attachment 222565
Very nicely finished out. Lots of small detail items. Rich

I completed my nephews battle station and it's ready to ship. It was a fun little project after the 6 months I spent on Pegasus. I realized when it was too late that I should have added a ladder over the bulkhead, steps on the outboard side, and some netting on the top. Maybe not though, things were getting a little congested as it was, just like the real thing.

One item of note, someone will undoubtedly notice the breech rope is over the carriage tackle so if it were to fire the recoil would rip the tackle out of the carriage . I tried it both ways and it looked a lot better under the tackle. Builders choice. ;)

View attachment 222561View attachment 222562View attachment 222563View attachment 222564View attachment 222565
Great detail, I have this kit on order and am now inspired to personalize mine also.
Thanks
Allan

Thanks Rich. How's Your Bluenose coming along?
Slowly and now making the small brass rigging fittings for the spars with lots of bend, cut, file, match, refile, etc. . . until it looks ok to solder.. . then refit and possibly breaking the soldered joint. We have been having a lengthy discussion about decks in the YQ group which is interesting to watch while I work on my own Bluenose getting the small stuff done to begin masting and bending of the sails before the masts are finally assembled and stepped. Hard to keep track of all of the separate small stuff and trying to remember my planned sequence of bringing those together. . . no different than other models. I have been wanting to go out and shoot the blackpowder cannon but the ship keeps me in the harbor. Rich

Slowly and now making the small brass rigging fittings for the spars with lots of bend, cut, file, match, refile, etc. . . until it looks ok to solder.. . then refit and possibly breaking the soldered joint. We have been having a lengthy discussion about decks in the YQ group which is interesting to watch while I work on my own Bluenose getting the small stuff done to begin masting and bending of the sails before the masts are finally assembled and stepped. Hard to keep track of all of the separate small stuff and trying to remember my planned sequence of bringing those together. . . no different than other models. I have been wanting to go out and shoot the blackpowder cannon but the ship keeps me in the harbor. Rich
Been contemplating ditching the solder and trying brazing for a stronger joint. Thanks for the update.

Really fine craftsmanship in your build Charlie. I also found your and Richs' conversations about your part in the war effort very fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

Great picture Charlie. I turned 14 in 1968. Registered for the draft in 1972, had a high number and then the draft ended in 73 so I went on to Texas A&M in the fall of 73.

Great picture Charlie. I turned 14 in 1968. Registered for the draft in 1972, had a high number and then the draft ended in 73 so I went on to Texas A&M in the fall of 73.
I partied my way out of college in 1968 during first semester so joined the Navy as an alternative. Finally graduated in 2002 after years of night school. I was basically a student for 34 years. I'm persistent if nothing else.

Well I'm finally getting close on my HMS Fly. I will be posting soon. I've run short on peril beads and single shive blocks as well as some of the line sizes they supplied. Probably stuck down into the carpet where I cant see!!!!

Well I'm finally getting close on my HMS Fly. I will be posting soon. I've run short on peril beads and single shive blocks as well as some of the line sizes they supplied. Probably stuck down into the carpet where I cant see!!!!
I feel your pain. Vacuum and check the dust bag.

I enlisted in USAF in 76 a few days after Bi-centianel 4th of July showing. Had pre-enlisted in Jan in Delayed Reserve status, so it was just setting a date to go in.

Did 24 years till Aug 2000, and if asked I would return to service on AD. I work Civil Service now.

Did get to see some Navy facilities and ships while on TDY to NAS Barbour's Point for three months. Our Chiefs got tours on two carries while there.

I enlisted in USAF in 76 a few days after Bi-centianel 4th of July showing. Had pre-enlisted in Jan in Delayed Reserve status, so it was just setting a date to go in.

Did 24 years till Aug 2000, and if asked I would return to service on AD. I work Civil Service now.

Did get to see some Navy facilities and ships while on TDY to NAS Barbour's Point for three months. Our Chiefs got tours on two carries while there.
Thanks for your service Kurt. I only made 22 years. Going back to sea duty on a tin can, even in the chief quarters, was a little more than I wanted to endure. Retired onboard the Iowa BB (61) in 1984.
1984 USS Iowa 1.jpg

Thanks for your service Kurt. I only made 22 years. Going back to sea duty on a tin can, even in the chief quarters, was a little more than I wanted to endure. Retired onboard the Iowa BB (61) in 1984.
View attachment 222759
Your years of service are greatly appreciated by an enlistee who went in and out quickly but that was guided in part as there was little chance for real advancement in air intelligence / photo interpretation and an photo from a Playboy magazine of an architect leaning back against his skis in the Alps, drinking from a bota bag, created more impressions of opportunities in architecture. Questionable choice though as the profession is strongly driven by the state of the economy year by year. Rich

Thanks Daniel. Been a lot of water under the keel since 1968. Wish I could do it all over again.View attachment 222723
I went back and found a photo of my "work station" inside the IOIC (Integrated Operational Intelligence Center) aboard the Ranger at a Stereometric Comparison Viewer looking at recent film landed, developed, and now for analysis in the first 2/3 of our cruise when trimmed beards were permitted and I was allowed to wear my green berRich at SCV Cropped.jpeget hunting for targets and defensive locations. Rich

That's outstanding Rich. My hat is off to all our veterans "Thank You" for what you all have done for our country. My dad was in the 13th Army Air Corp in the Phillipines at the end of WW2 and my brother was in
Iraq with the 459th Mule Skinners for OIF 1 and 2. I guess I was just in between.

Charlie, heres a awsome photo of Iowa(61) BB! It almost looks as if the ship moves in laterally during the blast straight out of hell WOW!

800px-BB61_USS_Iowa_BB61_broadside_USN.jpg

That's outstanding Rich. My hat is off to all our veterans "Thank You" for what you all have done for our country. My dad was in the 13th Army Air Corp in the Phillipines at the end of WW2 and my brother was in
Iraq with the 459th Mule Skinners for OIF 1 and 2. I guess I was just in between.

Charlie, heres a awsome photo of Iowa(61) BB! It almost looks as if the ship moves in laterally during the blast straight out of hell WOW!

View attachment 222820
An awesome ship indeed. Thanks for the photo. We have the Wisconsin (BB-64) here in Norfolk for nostalgia visits. We are a military family. Grandfather was in French army in WWI driving ambulances. Father was in Marines in WWII, Guadalcanal, and with guerrilla forces in China (SACO).

I went back and found a photo of my "work station" inside the IOIC (Integrated Operational Intelligence Center) aboard the Ranger at a Stereometric Comparison Viewer looking at recent film landed, developed, and now for analysis in the first 2/3 of our cruise when trimmed beards were permitted and I was allowed to wear my green berView attachment 222812et hunting for targets and defensive locations. Rich
We sure were dapper back then. What's with the pipes? Very cool. Were you a member of the "Old Crows"? We made a Med cruise in 1977 and also were allowed beards. There were Saudi sailors aboard for training and they gave me a traditional Arab outfit. I also ran a Ham Radio station onboard and made hundreds of phone patches back to the states. It was the strangest cruise I ever made. Med Cruise 1977.jpgHam radio 1977.jpg

An awesome ship indeed. Thanks for the photo. We have the Wisconsin (BB-64) here in Norfolk for nostalgia visits. We are a military family. Grandfather was in French army in WWI driving ambulances. Father was in Marines in WWII, Guadalcanal, and with guerrilla forces in China (SACO).
Regarding WWII CBI Theater, my father was embedded with and trained Chinese troops in south central China 1941-44 and was with them repelling the Japanese crossing of the Salwein River. He had to have interpreters as they moved from one warlords area to the next as the dialects changed. Their approximation of our Maris name was similar to "Mah Li Shur" meaning "Man on a horse".

Back