• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

1966 Aurora Wanderer Whaler

Thanks, shes one of the many ships I plan on seeing just the next few years.
 
Because the Wanderer Whaler Kit was originally molded/pressed way back in 1966, most of the plastic is dried out (degassed - the volatiles have evaporated out of the plastic) making it brittle and easy to break parts off. The belaying pins on various racks really can't be trusted not to break off once I start the rigging. So, I removed the thin mis-molded pins, I drilled out the same spot and will place brass pins in their place.

784321155_10234470380727397_1437107533354502914_n.jpg

789199012_10234470379127357_6466541561397627674_n.jpg

789301146_10234470375367263_4807377443111232046_n.jpg

789424673_10234470381487416_1948998013985768169_n.jpg

789565100_10234470378087331_6104758288107243549_n.jpg

789680610_10234470376407289_5658423440456176080_n.jpg

790208501_10234470379927377_5201841905498290484_n.jpg
 
Got a few more hours in today, I worked on the main hatch and got it as close as possible to the real ship board, certainly better than what it came with. I'm trying to see if I can put metal rods in the holes. I first painted it with Testors Euro Grey, but it did not look dark enough, I let dry and them airbrushed Possy S Oily Black, that's the shade I think looks best. I'll let dry for a day or so and give a second coat of the Polly S.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg
 
Working on the cathead assembly, man back in the day, kids had it rough. The cathead does not come with any guide pin hole so they wanted kid to hold the parts together while the glue dried, (they never had acc glue) back in the day, can you imagine kids sitting still long enough to let plastic model cement set up....

I drilled out a few holes and used acc to fix the parts together I'll be careful when I setup the bowsprit rigging. I'll repaint and weather before setting in place.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg
 
Hey Gang, what is the correct name of the bar assemble on the back side of the cathead? I think it is something to do with securing the anchor?

cathead.jpg
 
Last edited:
The Tryworks.



From the past week or so I did a deep dive into the tryworks on a few whalers. All whalers had them to render and melt the oil from the fat. Some times the tryworks was built enroute to the whaling grounds. There are a few photos surviving from the Wanders that show the tryworks. The model has the tryworks a bit plain, above the 2 kettles was a removable cover/roof section which 2 vent stacks were used to vent the heat and smoke up and away from the workers. The vent traveled through the upper roof as well.



What I wanted to replicate was these vent stacks to give the try works a bit more detail. I cut away the first covers vent bumps and sanded smooth, then cut an appropriately sized square tubing from my plastic stock and carefully cut away and resized the holes so that the square tubing would fit with a little play. I still need to cut and removed the upper roof sections where the stacks go through.

Because you can see into the tryworks, I had to create a “stop-base” for the stacks so you would not see them from the doors on the front and this gave me a base to also glue on as well. I wish could have created and shown the kettles, but it was just too much in such a small area.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg796416481_10234700435318618_1130108830675657036_n.jpg
 
Last edited:
Finally got the base painting completed for the Aurora Wanderer Whaler, with this model I'll need to step the deck in, THEN glue the halves together because of the deep contour of the bulwarks. no way to fit in place after the hull is together. So I'll need to be a bit careful once assembled, she is going to be heavily weathered so a little wash hides a lot
1f609.png
.

painted hull halves.jpg
 
Got the bulwarks grimed in and the lower hull glued and drying. Once I place the deck in, I'll glue the bow and stern closed, but I need to leave it loose to fit the deck and the contour of the hull will not let you fit the deck if you glue the hull filly together.

hull glue.jpg

port grime.jpg

star grime.jpg
 
I must have 5 pounds of clamping pressure on the bow stem in order to get it set right. I've used testors tube cement followed by liquid cement to enforce the glue into the voids. For the deck I use a small gauge needle to carefully put glue along the seam where the deck meets the hull. This will dry for 48 hours before I remove the clamps and rubber bands. The stern met together nicely, I won't have must work to hide the seam.

825266211_10234799462914246_2689914316768721673_n.jpg

825266336_10234799464514286_4926143080927594545_n.jpg

825266346_10234799465354307_6429873660471430826_n.jpg

825266434_10234799466234329_6304988195309582871_n.jpg
 
Hull glue is dry, now I'll be sanding, filing and filling the copper plates to reshape and taper on the bow and stern. You can't see the keel, but I'll still sand and fill with putty, it's the neatness in me.

825266145_10234824514660524_8300517237814509926_n.jpg

825266318_10234824517620598_4452837370152371280_n.jpg

825266525_10234824516940581_50374684348243742_n.jpg

826748251_10234824516100560_7223638872994293543_n.jpg
 
I've been working on the whaleboats, all the live long day...... parts prep and painting, life of a modeler.

The main color of the boats will be white, the upper seats and frames, I'm still researching what color did the Wanderer may have used. Not a whole lot written on these. Each boat is numbered with the matching seats frames, why I don't know because they are all the same shape. Two of the boats will be stowed upside down amidship on the racks, the rest will be outboard on the rails ready to launch. The oars will be white.

The sail for each boat is Testors flat sand which will be washed with a slight darker shade to shadow and detail. The rope line for each will be painted armor sand.

825266359_10234835865384285_7415831872908458900_n.jpg

825266408_10234835862544214_6445528347944329671_n.jpg

825266492_10234835861104178_7591197142263346381_n.jpg

825266497_10234835867304333_8639713693269845940_n.jpg

825266510_10234835868024351_3573190766683481749_n (2).jpg

825266539_10234835864184255_3806997748138495173_n.jpg

825266544_10234835866624316_5775588821160942215_n.jpg

white boats.jpg
 
Removing the injection punch marks on the whaleboat sail and benches, the micro sander really comes in handy, I'm using 180 grit paper, I've only used it once before, works well. After the sails were retouched up, someone reminded me of what it looked like with the clip.....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
 
Finished up the seats and gave the sails a primary wash down, working on the Harpoons, seams removed, and wood stock painted. The sails will get another light grey wash and a dry brush with white to "Bleach them". I put on some Mood Music as well.

825266656_10234869862274186_8727735844246179480_n.jpg

827469961_10234869861114157_8557058485718717362_n.jpg

830027384_10234869867554318_2685621081508381143_n.jpg

833171267_10234869868794349_997352287641259250_n.jpg

835950355_10234869866914302_5350413959901552821_n.jpg

829671682_10234873623328210_6931073509729245945_n.jpg

836468825_10234873623928225_2657726355123997707_n.jpg
 
On all copper cad sailing ships, the copper corrodes naturally due to the saltwater environment, the effect that is use on plastic model is one I've used for over 30 years.
Base coat Floquil Copper, then brushing down from the water line I paint over the copper with a #2 watercolor brush using Floquil Antique White, then while the white is still wet, I brush over the same areas with Floquil Lt. Green, then brush over that with distilled turpentine, this blends the colors and once dry it will lose the sheen. I'll seal with Acrylic Future floor wax to seal it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
 
Back
Top