74 Gun Vasseau by Jean Boudriot from Ancre'

yes I have the Proxxon 70 mini mill. but will also be using my micro chisel set.

you think thats nice wait til I get to the frames lol

the 2 images are from Gaeton however they are missing 1 piece which is the Talonnier shown in the 3rd image (disclosure this is not my wood this is image from Gaeton when he was figuring out Boudroits Drawings and Writings)

Talonnier.jpg

post-184-0-19994900-1487610498.jpgpost-184-0-86238300-1487611160.jpg

well work catching up to me. I laid down around 4 today for a couple hour nap slept for 5 hrs and now sore throat I must have been snoring to high heaven lol I guess I needed it though.

anyways had to redo filling transom 1 I goofed it up but have it redone and filling transom 2 redone. I still will need adjustments because I am not sure I have them set properly in the inner post, however that can wait til later.

Now onto Filling transom 3 after pull ham out of oven for wife's supper she finally went to work after taking a week off

74 Gun -36.png

So the third Filler is finished and now you can start to see better how they are a little off. I am also posting image of my part tracing and you can see i am exatlcy on the lines.

I think this is the usual being drawn up but since it is all 2D they figured you will sand it to fit so dont worry about being exact. this is why you must take most plans with a grain of salt, as they will require a lot of wasted wood sanding or remaking til something fits. I hope when finished I will have a nice exact set of plans to work from.

The Outside shape blend seems to be really nice though a fairly smooth flow

74 Gun -37.png74 Gun -38.png74 Gun -39.png

Amazing what you can do (obviously if you know how) with computers today! I am dealing with computers for the past 30 years, but don't think can do a fraction of what you are doing.

I think this is the usual being drawn up but since it is all 2D they figured you will sand it to fit so dont worry about being exact. this is why you must take most plans with a grain of salt, as they will require a lot of wasted wood sanding or remaking til something fits. I hope when finished I will have a nice exact set of plans to work from.

I am finding out the same issues as you, with hand drawn plans, if you are following along with the 3D modeling of the steam engine for the Mississippi what you are seeing as a 3D model is a far cry from what is drawn on the plans. Each part on different sheets do not fit one another.
Scale an proportions are all wacked out and everything has to be redone.

I guess it is the blessing and the curse of Computer Aided Drafting it is dead nuts accurate but the real world is not.

I guess it is the blessing and the curse of Computer Aided Drafting it is dead nuts accurate but the real world is not.
G'day Joseph and Dave
I havta agree with you. You can draw up the plans 100% accurate and give the same plans to 10 people and get 10 different results.
I'm finding the same thing with my Royal Caroline kit from ZHL. This kit has everything possible cut out from computers and John, Maarten and I are getting 3 unique versions from it.
I would assume the same back in the 1700's etc that each ship that was made from the original plans, there would a marked difference between them all.

well dunno on kits as laser cut files all parts should be exactly same. Die Crunched you will get variance on due to blade sharpness.

What I have found out is that most designers ( ones for companies charging ton of money for plans) don't build from their plans they get someone else to. A lot of times if it is minor and they can just sand it out they don't tell the designers. sometimes when they tell the designers the designers don't care because then they would have to maybe go back and change it in several spots. That is the problem with most these people and it isn't just this hobby. Radio Control planes is the same thing. it is all about lets get a fast buck and i don't care the plans aren't accurate this is a hobby just sand it out or remake the part.

Now that being said there are people doing things for themselves and share their plans freely. they are doing this for themselves not charging you 75 bucks for finished plans. So you cannot expect them to be perfect and most tell you they aren't accurate up front. but hey you getting them for free or for minimal amount of cash.

So I got called in to work for a few hours today. Looks like until the holidays are over I am kind of in slow motion here. The good thing with that is it is letting me take my time and understand everything better. the bad thing is I cant finish so I can cut wood hehe. the bow and stern of the Hull are the time consuming parts as anyone who has followed my drawing knows the rest of the Hull I can loft and create the accurate parts for pretty fast.

So I got all 6 filling transom and the Deck Transom done still have to add the Wing Transom and Helm Port Transom. Then I can loft that all in which will give me more accurate pieces. I will also need to overlay the plans to see where the fwd sections are supposed to end. also I am assuming the aft sections should end where the angled part of the rabbet ends forward.

74 Gun -43.png74 Gun -44.png74 Gun -45.png

This View shows the Fashion Piece and the backs of them hitting at a point equal to the full width of the rabbet where the angle is only half the Rabbet

Now If only this profile view is accurate when I overlay it I can use it for a guide

74 Gun -47.png

So I overlayed a couple of the plan sheets and they are off about 1/16th inch height etc but thats from paper resizing due to temps and is close enough for me to draw with as when I am finished it will all be readjusted to normal.

so as you can see the filler transoms match with the plans its just the height of the keel and false keel off on the drawings but I am using the stated dimensions in the book for these so I know mine is correct and the hand drawn drawings are off slightly.

So it is just a matter of adjusting each of the Filler Transoms to match the Fashion pieces

74 Gun -48.png

Back