74 Gun Vasseau by Jean Boudriot from Ancre'

the designers. sometimes when they tell the designers the designers don't care because then they would have to maybe go back and change it in several spots.

converting the original drawing into a CAD drawing and that CAD drawing into a 3D model is not that easy. any change you make on any part on any plan sets off a chain reaction and affects other parts and how the structure fits together. I have gone back 2 maybe 3 times to follow a correction and fix other parts.

I think calling the admiralty ship plans actual working plans is misleading. They are an artists or draftsman rendition of what a ship should look like in general. There have been rare cases where a wreck has been found and when compared to the admiralty drawing the actual ship was a +/- of 10 feet.

what Joe is doing here is creating a working set of plans someone can actually cut or machine parts from or actually they can be considered working plans. Same with the steam engine drawings and 3d model you can actually CNC or 3D print parts direct from the plans and they would fit together.

it would make a good debate (but not here) because we don't want to muck up this build log. Should a kit or plans be so perfect that anything built from them will produce an exact copy of the original? OR should kits. parts and plans be general so it requires the hand of man and personal skills to make each one different and unique?

well the one thing when i first started was i ordered the Swan Class "Plans" and yea they were just admiralty drawings Pawning off as plans. I think people should call plans plans and admiralty drawing drawings.

Anyways I hope tonight isnt as bad as last night and I will do some more. I got 2 of the transoms redone so 4 more to go

well the one thing when i first started was i ordered the Swan Class "Plans" and yea they were just admiralty drawings Pawning off as plans. I think people should call plans plans and admiralty drawing drawings.

Anyways I hope tonight isnt as bad as last night and I will do some more. I got 2 of the transoms redone so 4 more to go

I agree with that I could not build a 3D model from a swan class set of "plans" why? because like you said they are not what I consider working plans they are tracings of original drawings, drawings and plans are not the same thing even the Harold Hahn "ship plans" require a bit of hand work from the builder to get it all right. His jigs are hand drawn with a creeping thousandth so by the time you go from stem to stern you might be off 1/2 a frame. I found this out when I redrew them in CAD his jig and my jig did not matchup.

as the next generation comes in they have computer aided drafting and printing and CNC so all these old school drawings will be digitized and redone

I don’t think the Swan class plans have any issues, Roland Vlahovici world and european champion built his Pegasus based on that plan set.The builder skill is important too.

your correct there are really no issues with these hand drawn old school plans the point is they require a little more work by the builder and a higher set of skills, nor are they suitable for the new wave of model building with computer aided tools

what Joe and others are doing is on the very cutting edge of model engineering anyone old school or the computer geek with all the high tech tools can use the plans in different ways. You can not take a plan of the Alfred by Harold Hahn and print a figurehead or stern carvings the plans have to be redone in order to do that.

it is not a question of what was or even what is it is what will be and how do we lay the ground work

Last edited:
No nothing wrong with the drawings except the mylar drawings so thin lines and hard to read. Was told it's to keep people from copyright violating them. So the builder suffers hard to impossible to read. And the marketing of admiralty drawings as PLANS instead of admiralty drawings

So tonight another 15 hr day but I did finish getting the lengths down. tomorrow will work on the back edge and get those finished then loft everything up and find any errors. once that is done will add the last 2 transoms get them right and hopefully this weekend start cutting out keel parts and transoms

74 Gun -51.png

74 Gun -52.png

74 Gun -53.png

so after doing pre-holiday crap tonight I am working on adjusting the backs of the transoms. then I need to add a couple frames in place so I can do a nice loft. once that is done I will have all the parts I need. Also I am going to try and use something I came across and that is a jig for framing up the transoms but cant find it in my millions of folders at the moment but it is in my head.

So today I took a few minutes and scrounged through my wood. I did take a few pictures to show some of the differences in the common woods I like to use.

I also Milled my Cherry for my keel. I have to wrap some packages for tomorrow then I May make some keel parts.

The First Image is my Cherry board. Notice the nice White Heart Wood I only wished there was more of it that I could use in contrast to the dark wood.

74 Gun -56.png

Next is my Oak Now I like Red Oak as it has a nicer grain that we can use.

In the first pic you will notice my weights on the board. they are perfect I used them for my other woodworking. what I did was to melt lead and pour it into muffin tins. I even somewhere have some mini muffin tin weights.

In the second picture you can see how nice and straight the grain is. Because it is just the normal oak grain lines it doesn't really look over scale.

The third picture is regular oak grain the grain that looks out of scale when we use it. So my suggestion is to stay away from grain like in area 3 but try to find grain like image 2.

74 Gun -57.png

The last Images are of my Cherry I have pre-milled. Right now it is milled to the height of my keel. I still need to bring it down some for my thickness but first I need to cut some off for other purposes while it is at proper thickness.

74 Gun -62.png

Hi Joe,
It looks like you have a good stock of timber for the build, I can’t wait to see the keel assembly.
Mike

Back