74 Gun Vasseau by Jean Boudriot from Ancre'

Hey Guys my books and plans arrived from Ancre' today and man i bet the box weighed 50 lbs it was heavy. lol it actually only came to 30 lbs which was marked 14kg so it was still heavy.

Here are a few pics below. Tomorrow I will go through the plans and decide which one I will be doing as there is 42 sets of plans. ( I ordered the timbering book with the 42 1/48th scale plans instead of just the one set. I figured if I was going to do it why not go all the way and get them all. as you can see all them plans folded came to 2+ inches thick. it even came with a 2019 calendar though not much of a calendar has some awesome ship pics, and a book on the Le Saint Filipe which has 14 pages from the Monographie.

DSCN0606.pngDSCN0608.pngDSCN0613.png

So now time to sift through find the set of plans I want and clear off the Workbench of the junk i stored on it and monday to get them scanned before I use them. I always like to scan everything in so that when I use for building if it gets cut up or damaged I always have the plans for another build.

Wonderful set you bought from ancre - so you got the four books of the 74-gun ship from Jean Boudriot plus the drawing set in scale 1:48 for the ship, or?
Did we understand it correctly, that you will start now the scratch built of the 74-gunner?
I am looking forward to see your built growing - So the next years are defined Thumbsup

I will be doing 74 gun and not really from scratch Uwek I will use the plans I have gotten and wont be drawing any up from scratch. However due to the complexity of these French Ships I will cad it up as I go. Like if I am working on the transome or something I will draw up the parts so I understand them and the fit and then cut the part and build the area. then move onto the next and repeat and by time I am done will have both a full 3D and full Wooden French 74

So I went through the sheets this morning and they are slightly misleading. it says 42 plans (31-74 gun ships) soooo what it is really meaning is there are 3 cover sheets 1 as shown above that says the 74 gun vasseau, the second sheet is french ->English->Italian translation of various ship parts.
the third sheet is the one I will be posting which is 1/48th scale views of the various cannon. (I will post it at full scale in case anyone wants.

SO then the rest of the 42 is all the plan sheets for the 74 gun but I am assuming where they get the 31-84 gun is because a lot of the parts and stuff was used on all those ships.

So I think I did good biting the bullet as normally you get 11 sheets with the $49 booklet and plans but here I received 42 pages of plans for the 74 gun. This means you miss out on a lot of detail etc if you don't go with the $150 set.

So in following with my intended sequence of Building, I scanned a couple sections of the plans which I can then use my dividers, Digital Calipers, and other tools to take measurements of the plans and use other various sources for dimensions etc and draw up the keel and backbone of the ship so I can then start cutting some wood.

This will make my parts that much more accurate as the computer will do away with any problems such as skew or non accurate hand drawing due to expansion or shrinking of the paper as we do not know how long ago the plans were actually printed.

It will also allow me to better see each part before I need to make it and see how it fits in relation to the next part.

Also it will make up for aberrations due to the folds in the paper. Tomorrow I will get a few important sheets scanned

74 Gun -19.png

74 Gun -18.png

So I am assuming Coltis is meaning front perpendicular and the FC is for the aft Perpendicular

so if anyone has any different Ideas please let me know as that will affect the length when I put the 3 sheets into my cad program to set them up for drawing

So Tonight I played around Drawing up the Keel Backbone of the ship.
I still have a bit of work left by marking out the frames and then cutting in the notches in the false keelson (ie Hog french book calls it a false keelson)
then I can start making the 3D parts for it and wood parts.

I will be using my 2 favorite woods Aspen and Cherry. the keel and other backbone parts will be cherry with the frames and other parts aspen. but I reserve the right to change things around hehehe

74 Gun -21.png

Back