Tutorial A GUIDE on Lathe Basics

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Le Rochefort Moderator

A while back I prepared a GUIDE on how to use a Lathe. I am now releasing this guide that perhaps it might help those that might want to venture into this versatile addition to your shipbuilding.

Attachments

• lathe-basics.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 747
A very useful tutorial.
It should be remembered that each electrical device requires careful handling. It's easy to hurt yourself. If you are not sure about something, then do not do it and find out if it is possible to work this way. Perhaps when I find some time, I will make videos on the basics of metal turning :)
greetings

RC Model :)

That;s a first rate introduction. I have an old Atlas 6x18 lathe that I use mainly for making wooden penny whistles (www.busmanwhistles.com , if that's not prohibited here ) but I occasionally use it for model work. Being familiar with these lathes I didn't read your whole thing word for word so if you mentioned these things,I apologize.
In addition to metal and wood (must be very dense,hard, and smooth grained) you can also turn various plastics on a machine lathe with great results.
As far as safety goes, watch out for loose clothing, long hair, jewelry or anything else that can get caught in the turning stock. I've heard some real horror stories of people getting caught, and it would happen VERY fast!

Thank you all for the notes. When I bought this lathe, I knew nearly zero about it. I just took my time doing very simple stuff. I am not an advanced lathe user, but I do now know enough to do some nice stuff. The 4 Jaw independent chuck is a great addition as you can turn things off center. I did this for my cannon axles. Also, with this type of chuck you can turn simple cams.
If I do have time to add to like a Part 2, it will be focused on using it mainly for ship things like tapering mast and yards.

A time ago I found on the www.hnsa.org navy lessons how to use a lathe. Seems to be old but handy. Maybe a nice addition to this topic. See attachment.

Attachments

• lathe.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 183
@MartinJel and @Vfordyce I highly recommend www.sherline.com as this is all that they do and make is Lathes, Mills and CNC, and every accessory that you can think of to go along with it. The Digital Read Out is a must in my opinion. You can get this in both Metric and Imperial. However, you can still convert one measurement system over to the other by purchasing (changing out) the Lead Screw and the hand Dials.

Thanks for your efforts. This guide should be invaluable to newbies as well as members like me who are getting back after a long layoff.

I will be waiting for the chapter on masts and yards. That should improve my technique.

Do you know if I can add a digital readout to my Sherline? It is only a year old.

After watching some other tutorials on masts and yards, it occurred to me that if you want squared or octoganal areas on the mast as required on some plans, you would have to start with a larger diameter mast than the kit gives you. Then the next question is start with a square piece or round piece. I am building the HMS Endeavor and bought Underhill’s rigging plans and they are sooo different than the Artesia Latina kit’s plans. The rigging is even quite different. I am planning on putting on sails so I guess this one will just be a learning experience rather than an unfinished project.

It's by Central Machinery from Harbor Freight. It seems to work okay, but the 2" chuck I ordered doesn't seem to fit. Maybe I just don't know how to attach it, but I couldn't find much info out there online.
One of the ways to call Harbor, they should help you to find out if the chuck will fit on your lathe

Back