A way of seizing

Hi Rich,

The block is 9mm. I‘ve not tried any smaller ones but with enough practice I’d expect the same result. I used a light color thread for the serving to get a good look at the result.

Jan

Hi Rich,

The block is 9mm. I‘ve not tried any smaller ones but with enough practice I’d expect the same result. I used a light color thread for the serving to get a good look at the result.

Jan
I am down in the 2.4 to 5 mm sizes which are likely to small but let me know how something down around 5 works for you. Thanks. Rich

Hi. Allow me some notes.
No matter the size, it depends on the way you proceed with a seizing,
As I wrote because of the slide ability of the seizing knot, you can preform the loop in whish you'll place a block.
Look at the sketch.
Seizing knot.JPG

I wrote also that I don't know whether the tool itself can help with the seizings in our hobby. And that because maybe (?) it's made
to work with thicker fishing lines and those lines, as nylon material, have different behavior as you make loops with it.
Generally the smaller the loops, the better to keep stable a preformed seizing knot.
Thx

@PT-2,

Had a little time this morning so I tried a 4mm and 5mm block using the same routine I used for the bigger block.

I used slightly oversized thread so I could see what I was working with. The block thread is 1.0mm and the serving thread is 0.5mm on the 5mm block. for the 4mm block I used 1.0mm again but the serving is 0.25mm.

The first step was to create a small loop in the block thread with a drop of CA. The long end of of the thread was then run through the small loop forming a large loop.

The next step was to wrap the serving around the tool. One end of the serving thread was taped to the tools finger rest.

The block thread was then passed into the "valley" of the tie fast tool small loop first. The serving was moved over the small loop and a block placed in the larger loop.

The serving ends were slowly pulled apart. Enough slack was left in the serving to be able to pull the large loop tight around the block.

The final step was to tighten the serving and add a small dab of CA to hold the knots.

8EF91AFC-DF66-4755-B43D-94D2FCF11B88.jpeg

A drop of CA to create a loop or eye, and the thread run through to create a bigger loop.

939DE7BD-9D2A-4162-A416-97307FBEE799.jpeg

The serving wrapped on the tool, note the tape to hold the upper end of the serving on the tool.

29D8CC24-7D36-4D1C-8B3F-C5D4C3DC8006.jpeg

The block tread placed in tool with small loop/eye first

9885D191-B3AB-45E9-ACF4-A5EA982487A7.jpeg

The 4mm, 5mm and 9mm blocks completed.

I think with some practice and a bit of patience a good product can be accomplished.

Jan

Last edited:
Recently took delivery of a couple of these tools.
I noticed your post #26 where you resorted to trapping your thread with tape.
A small tip:- the folded flat in front of your tape is an inbuilt feature to do just that.

Recently took delivery of a couple of these tools.
I noticed your post #26 where you resorted to trapping your thread with tape.
A small tip:- the folded flat in front of your tape is an inbuilt feature to do just that.
:DExcellent tip, but it must depend on the tool. That part on mine is crimped over far enough to be even with edge where the gap might be.:(:(

Last edited:
It could be worthwhile lifting the tang at the edge furthest from the tip, so you have an angled opening. The angle should then hold threads of different thickness.
If you're happy using tape, that's fine.

Hi all.
As a long time ship modeler and member in quite forums, I keep seeing that the issue of an easy way of seizing, is most wanted.
It was also for me but after many experiments, I ended up to the below method.
See what I mean.
As many of you, I also like fishing, so I came across the tool which allows you to tie fishing hooks easy, the "Tie-fast knot tyer". Then, I got the idea of a "Tie-fast seizing tyer".
I don’t know whether the fishing tool itself, can be used for seizing but I made my own tools…
So depending on the thickness of the threads I use, I modified three useless head paint brushes by trimming them down and creating a channel. See photo.

View attachment 219075
Every time I need to seize something, I choose the proper modified paintbrush's head and by following the sketches for the use of the "knot tyer" (modified as well), I make loops around the edge of it.
Then, I insert the loop (or single thread) that I want to be seized in the formed channel and carefully remove all the threads (loops and thread to be seized) from the paintbrush's head. See the sketches and the photos of the process.

View attachment 219076
View attachment 219077

Finally, I gently pull the two edges of the loops' thread and I have my seizing knot formed.

View attachment 219078

The seizing knot is slid able, so I move it to its final place, I cut the edges and secure with a drop of glue.

View attachment 219079

I hope you find my method easier than others.
Thanks
Hallo @Thanasis
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I Will be trying this tool / method and appreciate all the great responses. Looking at Thanasis's photos I would be foolish not to, definitely expert craftsmanship...

Canadian Tire (Canada) have it. But I have concern about the size of the tool. May be your trick for miniature is better with paint brush mods.

I am curious about someone input using the original one.

Hi all.
As a long time ship modeler and member in quite forums, I keep seeing that the issue of an easy way of seizing, is most wanted.
See what I mean.
As many of you, I also like fishing, so I came across the tool which allows you to tie fishing hooks easy, the "Tie-fast knot tyer". Then, I got the idea of a "Tie-fast seizing tyer".
I don’t know whether the fishing tool itself, can be used for seizing but I made my own tools…
So depending on the thickness of the threads I use, I modified three useless head paint brushes by trimming them down and creating a channel. See photo.

View attachment 219075
Every time I need to seize something, I choose the proper modified paintbrush's head and by following the sketches for the use of the "knot tyer" (modified as well), I make loops around the edge of it.
Then, I insert the loop (or single thread) that I want to be seized in the formed channel and carefully remove all the threads (loops and thread to be seized) from the paintbrush's head. See the sketches and the photos of the process.

View attachment 219076
View attachment 219077

Finally, I gently pull the two edges of the loops' thread and I have my seizing knot formed.

View attachment 219078

The seizing knot is slid able, so I move it to its final place, I cut the edges and secure with a drop of glue.

View attachment 219079

Thanks
Hallo @Thanasis
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hi all.
See what I mean.

View attachment 219075

View attachment 219076
View attachment 219077

View attachment 219078

View attachment 219079

Thanks
I have always -when building -used a big needle -both for sizing and splicing. As I normally toke three years pr. model, I have never gotten into sophisticated tools. Anyhow I find your method rather good

659d927c34122eceaecded7cafea8f0e.jpg

Back