Actual length of Soleil Royal in 1669

The other consideration is that the listed dimensions for SR, in 1669, are in the antiquated French foot. So, 164.5 French feet becomes 175.46 Imperial, using a conversion factor of 1.066. Likewise, 142FF becomes 151.37 Imperial.

It is my opinion that all commercial wooden kits of SR tend to be exaggerated in every way, and they are only approximate representations of a French first-rate from this time period.

Although I can’t think of the specific manufacturer, there is a company that produces a decent kit of L’Ambiteaux of 1680, which is much more faithful to the epoch. With some skillful adaptation, it could be made into a very good model.

A good stay at home project might be to calculate how many different scales there are on a typical ship (e.g., Mantua Victory or Soleil). It's not only a question of overall length, but also things like guns, gun carriage wheels, anchors. And don't get me started on block sizes and rigging line dimensions!

This os the L’Ambiteaux model I was referring to, by Altaya:

Thinking about this scale issue, I am perhaps biased since I’m a retired aerospace engineer. Things like getting the scale right are really second nature to me. If the original model makers are approaching the kit design as an artists, then things like correct length and scale might not seem as important.

Hi Paul,

Following is a link to Michel Saunier’s build page on MSW. If you are not familiar with him, Mr. Saunier is the first person to attempt a truly good and in-depth reconstruction of Soleil Royal from her known original dimensions.

In his working life (he is now retired), Mr. Saunier was also an engineer. He is someone who always quests for certainty and truth.

If you would like a clearer picture of what the relative scale and proportion of a ship like Soleil Royal should be, then you would be hard pressed to find a better example:

A somewhat different interpretation, and one that aligns more closely with my personal ideas about the ship in 1689, is Marc Yeu’s model:

Hi Paul,

Following is a link to Michel Saunier’s build page on MSW. If you are not familiar with him, Mr. Saunier is the first person to attempt a truly good and in-depth reconstruction of Soleil Royal from her known original dimensions.

In his working life (he is now retired), Mr. Saunier was also an engineer. He is someone who always quests for certainty and truth.

If you would like a clearer picture of what the relative scale and proportion of a ship like Soleil Royal should be, then you would be hard pressed to find a better example:

A somewhat different interpretation, and one that aligns more closely with my personal ideas about the ship in 1689, is Marc Yeu’s model:

The "original" log of Saunier is posted in Gérards Delacroix forum, including additional discussions of other french members:

Back