Aft Magazine Section - 1/32 Scale

This will be a build log for my next project, a 1:32 scale model of an aft magazine including a light room, filling room and powder room. I will use a variety of hardwoods for the project, avoiding paints and stains.
The plans are, once again, drawn by Jeff Staudt.
As Jeff states in his practicum:

"No specific ship, rather a concept showing the various components that make up the magazine, and how it's fitted into the vessel.
She's built using a different approach. Rather than make the hull framing first and build the magazine in place, it will be added last and act as the display "cradle" for the finished model. "

"HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF THE SHIP MAGAZINE

18th century shipwrights were faced with two major issues when designing the magazine for ships; Keeping the gunpowder and contents stored there dry, and that of safety from the danger of any open flames of candle light or being hit from shot by enemy fire during battle. Thus they were typically fitted low in the hull below the waterline.

The magazine consists of three distinct compartments. Generally speaking, they are the:

Powder Room – This large area was used to store the kegs of gunpowder. Depending on the size of the ship a large amount of highly explosive content would be kept here.

Filling Room – This room adjoined the powder room and was used to fill, store, and distribute the powder cartridges for the ships guns.

Light Room – The means to illuminate the powder and filling rooms. This area was completely isolated from the other two, with a separate scuttle, or passageway to access it.

As the build progresses I'll get into more detail of the construction of each area.

ORIENTATION OF THE MODEL

The magazine will be located in the Aft portion of the ship with the light room farthest to the rear, progressing forward to the powder room. The finished model will be displayed looking inboard from the starboard side. "

Here's a look at part of the plans and a photo of Jeff's prototype:
Chapter1-1.jpgChapter1-2.jpg

Hello Dave,
I was impressed when I first saw this project over at MSB and I am glad that you will be working on it over here. I will follow your build like everyone else and ask questions along the way.
Raymond

Thanks, guys!

Jim: The last photo is Jeff Staudt's actual prototype model. I have not seen a log for this build other than Jeff's!

Chapter2-1.JPGChapter2-2.JPGChapter2-3.JPGChapter2-4.JPGConstruction begins with a base deck which supports the magazine. I chose cherry for the beams supporting this deck. There are eight beams altogether, and there is framing beween two of them to create two scuttles, which allow access to the bilge for repairs or to clear debris. Laying out and planking this deck needs to be precise, so the plans provide for a jig to hold each deck beam perpendicular to the center line and a fixed distance from each other. The final photo shows the beams resting in place. The beam ends are beveled 11 degrees in the horizontal plane and 45 degrees in the vertical plane (not yet done in this photo). The scuttles have also been framed in.

Thanks, guys!

Jim: The last photo is Jeff Staudt's actual prototype model. I have not seen a log for this build other than Jeff's!

View attachment 69780View attachment 69781View attachment 69782View attachment 69783Construction begins with a base deck which supports the magazine. I chose cherry for the beams supporting this deck. There are eight beams altogether, and there is framing beween two of them to create two scuttles, which allow access to the bilge for repairs or to clear debris. Laying out and planking this deck needs to be precise, so the plans provide for a jig to hold each deck beam perpendicular to the center line and a fixed distance from each other. The final photo shows the beams resting in place. The beam ends are beveled 11 degrees in the horizontal plane and 45 degrees in the vertical plane (not yet done in this photo). The scuttles have also been framed in.
Hey Dave,
You're off to a great start. Just be mindful not to use too much glue in the areas of the scuttle seeing that you'll have to remove that section of framing later on. Hope to see more Buddy.
Raymond

Thanks, guys!

I began planking the magazine deck with 1/4" X 5/64" boxwood planking. This translates to 8" in scale width. The planking will be treenailed. I use a paint pen to paint the edges of the planking black. Any excess scrapes off easily with an X-Acto knife. Since this is a magazine, no iron or steel was used for anything -including fasteners- because of the danger of sparks igniting the gunpowder. All metalwork would be copper.

The decking for the magazine is on several levels, each supported by it's own set of beams. The main powder room (where the two scuttles are) will have palleting on the deck, set into rabbets in the framing.
Chapter3-1.JPGChapter3-2.JPGChapter3-3.JPG

Thanks for the "likes", guys!

The final step in completing the decking for the magazine begins with framing the light room and filling room floors. I then used boxwood planking for the deck. I need to add some treenails and when that is complete, I'll start on the powder room walls and palleting.
Chapter5-1.jpgChapter5-2.jpgChapter5-3.jpgChapter5-4.jpgChapter5-5.jpgChapter5-6.jpg

Hello Dave,
She is starting to come along nicely and it seems like a fun and interesting project. I was so inspired about what would come next that I could not contain myself and re-read Jeff's build. While reading it, I came across Gene's comment and it got me thinking that maybe he was onto something as a conversational side project. What do you think of the idea about maybe getting the ball rolling to produce the drawings for another group build?

I will just quote Gene if you still don't see where I am going with this, "another area of a ship to model by itself -- a working capstan similar to the one that appears in the Volume 5 of the MSB Journal, one that was built at Texas A & M".

This site will take you to the MSB Journal's website.
http://www.navyboardmodels.com/sites/default/files/documents/journal/msbj-2007-jul.pdf

This site will take you to the website where you can see the actual Texas A&M built capstan.
http://nautarch.tamu.edu/model/report2/

Raymond

After the planking was completed, I began to treenail. Much of the planking will be hidden or obscured, so only the most aft portion of the magazine (the light room) will get treenails. I used a #58 drill and toothpicks glued with CA.

Next up is the most difficult and challenging part of the build: Laying out, constructing and planking the wings which will form the side walls of the powder room and filling room. This is going to take a while!
Chapter6-1.JPGChapter6-2.JPGChapter6-3.JPG

Back