Airfix 1:144 Scale Saint Louis c.1626 -The Modification

I also use the Enamels. But I apply several thin layers with a brush. The paint then serves itself as a primer, so to speak. At the end, I paint with the unthinned paint. I expressly welcome the dashes that may then be visible as an appropriate simulation of the wood grain. This grain is emphasised at the end by a coat of oil paint (which is wiped off again immediately). I refer you to the two photos that I was kindly allowed to post earlier in this construction report.
Schmidt

I did, of course, notice your outstanding work on this ship, Schmidt. It’s interesting - whether one uses enamels or acrylics, they will have to do multiple thinned applications. It seems to me that the primary advantage of enamels is durability. As a build advances, I try my best to minimize handling of the model. I have found mounting to a temporary build board, invaluable for preservation of the finish.

What has happened to this extremely interesting built log? I can't even see the photos any more!
Schmidt

What a bummer, I'm getting ready to build this kit, & I was looking forward to some tips from Rex! Oh well!

Back