The Airfix 'Prince' is another lovely kit. 20 years ago I did a pretty good job of painting the details (If I say so myself). I even carved out all the stern windows and re 'glazed' them with fine diamond photo etch grill. Or was it stretched spru? I did the same on a 'Victory'.
At that time I wasn't happy with the hatches/gratings and put it away. Things have moved on a bit since then, so it may be time to dig it out again.
I saw the Science Museums gem many times. The stern windows were solid and poorly painted.
Eventually the very evident woodworm could have remedied that.
Anyone know where that model is now?

Hallo @Broadsides
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Once more I took a look at your photos of this amazing model - wonderful built.
Are you working on an actual project?
Hello Uwek: I appreciate your viewing and kind observation. Thanks! Also, appreciate the birthday greetings...And yes, I have several restoration projects going, re: two contemporary naval vessels and one vintage whaleship. After these restorations I plan to work my third Airfix kit of HMS Prince 1670.

Recently I introduced the 1:144 scale WASA kit that was published by Airfix during the 1980s. It was one of my favorites in their sailing ship series; and one which I wanted to bring to another level due to its detail. With research (and patience), I was able to convert this plastic kit into a mixed media project -replacing many of the features with wood.

A second challenge stemmed from the VASA project... That challenge was not just to convert, but present additional features to the already existent moldings of the ship. The kit that met the call was the Classic Series Airfix ROYAL SOVEREIGN (Sovereign of the Seas). All of the plastic was discarded and replaced with bass, pine and birch woods. Only the hull was kept and altered to match the supporting drawings and paintings of that period.

Overall, after exerting fourteen-hour days into a four-month schedule, I was able to produce this striking model. I find that nothing is too complicated - (as some would complain). No product can guarantee 'perfection'...and I am yet to find the perfect kit and/or model. Reality dictates that this will never be. However, what is great about modelling is the fact that we can find ourselves 'lost' in the process which causes us to step back and assess our level of skill. These images are a testimony of how far we can take a thing with the abilities and skill(s) we develop.

Thanks for viewing!

View attachment 170141
View attachment 170142

View attachment 170143

View attachment 170144

View attachment 170146

View attachment 170147

View attachment 170151

View attachment 170152

View attachment 170155

View attachment 170156

View attachment 170157

View attachment 170159

View attachment 170160
Can I get this model anywhere I’ve been looking for over a year

Yes - it a very rare kit, released already 1968, and the last time produced in 1988 by Airfix
Also the prices, if there is an offer avialable are extreme
This seller is offering a started kit for 175 GBP - nobody knows if it is complete - but very vintage

BTW: Do you know this page?

SOVEREIGN comes up on ebay roughly three times a year -and the prices run anywhere between $60 - $75 US... In the course of three years I purchased three SOVEREIGNs during the course of its (triple)-yearly appearances. My advice is to check ebay once or twice a week. Sometimes you can get the buyer to sell (if you generously exceed the bid)...And yes, these are rare models that many don't build but hold on to because of their history.

SOVEREIGN comes up on ebay roughly three times a year -and the prices run anywhere between $60 - $75 US... In the course of three years I purchased three SOVEREIGNs during the course of its (triple)-yearly appearances. My advice is to check ebay once or twice a week. Sometimes you can get the buyer to sell (if you generously exceed the bid)...And yes, these are rare models that many don't build but hold on to because of their history.
Thank you I just need one please give me a heads up if one turns up

Recently I introduced the 1:144 scale WASA kit that was published by Airfix during the 1980s. It was one of my favorites in their sailing ship series; and one which I wanted to bring to another level due to its detail. With research (and patience), I was able to convert this plastic kit into a mixed media project -replacing many of the features with wood.

A second challenge stemmed from the VASA project... That challenge was not just to convert, but present additional features to the already existent moldings of the ship. The kit that met the call was the Classic Series Airfix ROYAL SOVEREIGN (Sovereign of the Seas). All of the plastic was discarded and replaced with bass, pine and birch woods. Only the hull was kept and altered to match the supporting drawings and paintings of that period.

Overall, after exerting fourteen-hour days into a four-month schedule, I was able to produce this striking model. I find that nothing is too complicated - (as some would complain). No product can guarantee 'perfection'...and I am yet to find the perfect kit and/or model. Reality dictates that this will never be. However, what is great about modelling is the fact that we can find ourselves 'lost' in the process which causes us to step back and assess our level of skill. These images are a testimony of how far we can take a thing with the abilities and skill(s) we develop.

Thanks for viewing!

View attachment 170141
View attachment 170142

View attachment 170143

View attachment 170144

View attachment 170146

View attachment 170147

View attachment 170151

View attachment 170152

View attachment 170155

View attachment 170156

View attachment 170157

View attachment 170159

View attachment 170160
Hi Rex,
Have come accross your workthrough your blogspot and youtube presence. Exceptional work, i havejust recieved this kit and seeing how much detail and work you have put into it is mindblowing. Loving the flags by thew way. Looking forward to yourfuture projects.

Hi Rex,
Have come accross your workthrough your blogspot and youtube presence. Exceptional work, i havejust recieved this kit and seeing how much detail and work you have put into it is mindblowing. Loving the flags by thew way. Looking forward to yourfuture projects.
Thanks; much appreciated. I hope you enjoy your SOVEREIGN build...For me, the next will be SAINT LOUIS. Happy New Year!

Hi Rex. Thanks for revealing your next build will be the St Louis. Can't wait for your build log; each have been a fascinating journey.
Have that kit in my stash but for some reason it has never appealed.
It is such an obscure ship, I wonder what prompted Airfix to choose it as a subject, when there are many more which would have given bigger commercial success.
As I understand it, the St Louis was one of their last sailing ship kits to be issued (if not the last). Perhaps the lack of sales (pardon the pun) was why the company stopped the series?
It's such a shame the teams involved in the design and production of these masterpieces of the time are never given credit where it is undoubtedly due.
Stay well.

Just starting Airfix Sovereign
Yes - it a very rare kit, released already 1968, and the last time produced in 1988 by Airfix
Also the prices, if there is an offer avialable are extreme
This seller is offering a started kit for 175 GBP - nobody knows if it is complete - but very vintage
very rare model kit now... Airfix are not going to relaunch it, sadly... as historic as the Victory, as legendary as the Hind... It is a shame. It was my childhood first model and I have a kit to redo to the best of my limited abilities as my last kit. Rex Stewart has inspired me to do more than the instructions - hope to keep you all posted on the progress (doing a lot of dry test building to ensure I do it ok)

20230215_200357.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

View attachment 170141
View attachment 170142

View attachment 170143

View attachment 170144

View attachment 170146

View attachment 170147

View attachment 170151

View attachment 170152

View attachment 170155

View attachment 170156

View attachment 170157

View attachment 170159

View attachment 170160
A beautiful model. Your attention to detail is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

It looks fantastic!!
Thank you! Just drilled holes for gun hatches and glued the main hull together.... today I am weaving the shrouds and ratlines.... found amazing 3D printed 2 & 3 mm deadeyes on ebay... if they are as amazing as tiny 2mm double blocks for my 24 gun carriage rigging, then things will go well

Thanks; much appreciated. I hope you enjoy your SOVEREIGN build...For me, the next will be SAINT LOUIS. Happy New Year!
Wow - St Louis! I can not thank you enough for the inspiration you have given me to do my Airfix Sovereign, Rex. whenever I loose the wind in my sails, I surf your incredible work to fill me with awe to get the next project tested out and set. Wishing you good winds, fair weather and plenty of grog at the wheel of your adventures Rex

Hi Everyone! My wonderful wife has agreed (since watching greatest ships season 1), that we need a ship tour of the classic ships of the UK (Hind, Victory, Bristol, Cutty Sark, etc. Also want to visit Chatham, where my fav, Sovereign, slumbers under the water) and I hope to take lots of photos (on my phone) and post them here.... It will not happen until the end of April/May time, but if there is anything you need me to look out for (picture or info wise), I am eager to explore.

Hi Everyone! My wonderful wife has agreed (since watching greatest ships season 1), that we need a ship tour of the classic ships of the UK (Hind, Victory, Bristol, Cutty Sark, etc. Also want to visit Chatham, where my fav, Sovereign, slumbers under the water) and I hope to take lots of photos (on my phone) and post them here.... It will not happen until the end of April/May time, but if there is anything you need me to look out for (picture or info wise), I am eager to explore.
Great offer - independent of special requests, we all hope to see a lot of photos of your tour

Back