Cad design Alfred stern cad designing

the carving details looks pretty good Bryian

i am in the final stages of finishing the Tecumseth and flipping from one project to another. I do a little here and a little there, i am interested in 3D printing because of the exact and ultra-fine details that can be achieved. I redid a lot of the gothic steam engine of the Mississippi right down to the nuts and bolts. I discovered major errors in the original engine design so now there is a Mississippi engine 2.0. Two more historic steam engines are on the drawing board as well as another stern model.

one of the iffy things with 3D printing was the fact it is resin and not wood.
Personally, i do not get why a carving has to be wood that makes no sense to me.
I sent a print and a wood sample to a friend who is actually into model railroading. He finished the print and honestly you cannot pick out which one is wood or resin. Also sent a couple engine parts to him. The original engine was copper and cast iron i was stunned and amazed at the scale texture and finish that can be achieved.

i am thinking there is a new phase on the horizon in model ship building and that is the art of finishing resin parts. Model railroaders have been doing it for many years probably because they were not hindered with the choice of materials and more into a realistic look.

last post was in March 2022 a year ago so you would think this project died, but not so.

i will do all the CAD work myself and job out the 3D modeling. The first 3D modeler took my money and never did anything. So there are people on line pulling cons they take your money and do not deliever so watch out Stacy is one of the bad people out there. She dragged the project on for months and i tried to get a refund even hired a lawyer to go after her. But the cost of a lawyer was more than what she took.

fortunately there are good honest artists out there and Mirna is now working on a stern of the Alfred and figurehead, she also did the figurehead for the Sultana. and will be doing more sterns sections of Hahn models the Hancock is next in line after the Alfred.
her bio
I am an illustrator, 3D modeler and industrial designer who develops projects from scratch and makes fan art too.
I work with various styles and I take each work as one
Skills:
Concept art / 3D modeling / Scultping / UV mapping / Texturing / Rendering
Areas:
Characters / Props / Enviroments / Product design
Software:
Photoshop / Illustrator / Blender / ZBrush / Substance Painter

and here is her work when the figures are given the OK more and finer details are added

08.jpg07.jpg03.jpg02.jpg01.jpg06.jpg06.pngfigure 05.pngfigure 04.jpg

There will be a 1:32 scale stern including the cabin kit. with laser cut framing and 3D printed figures and carvings. The question is how much printed parts and the amount of assembly.
1 this is shows sections of the stern and quarter galley as one piece
2 is stern sections with the side gallery seperate
3 is all the parts seperate.

when designing a kit project like this, the designer has to keep in mind any builder even using pre cut laser frames and parts some tiny errors will creep in. when that happens the 3D printed parts may or may not fit exactly to the framing structure. To many 3D printed parts will require a lot of assembly and that leaves open the creeping error. The middle of the road is a balance between a lot odf seperate parts and assembled sections.

sc4.jpg

and all the CAD work and 3D modeling are just 2 steps along the way to a finished product. I do not have a 3D printer so a search for someone to take the STL files and do the printing. I can cover all the laser cutting work for the framing.

here is something to wonder about
in this 3D model of the Alfred stern this carving of lady justice is just floating at the corner of the stern.

Assembly_total_with characters 2.jpgAssembly_total_with characters4.jpg

the first thought is an error in the 3D work BUT looking at Hahn's model there is nothing for the figure to stand on other than a thin molding. Here is the problem when i measured the original admiralty drawings and Hahn's drawings and scale the figure up to full size it would have to be carved from a huge block of Oak measuring 2 feet square and 8 feet long. Oak weights 45 pounds per square foot so a chunk of Oak that size would weigh in at 1,440 pounds almost a ton. Now figuring once the figure is carved the block will loose some weight so lets figure the carving is around 800 pounds, what is holding it in place?

stern hahn model2.jpg

just a few more views of the 3D model under construction. The inside of the cabin will be added plus some minor 3D errors

Assembly_total_with characters9.jpgAssembly_total_with characters10.jpgAssembly_total_with characters11.jpgAssembly_total_with characters14.jpgAssembly_total_with characters15.jpg

it takes a long time to draw, 3D model and create cutting and printing files but once complete a stern kit in boxwood and 3D printed parts in 3/8 scale will be available in a limited edition of a reproduction of Harold Hahn's original model.

Ahoy!

i will do all the CAD work myself and job out the 3D modeling. The first 3D modeler took my money and never did anything. So there are people on line pulling cons they take your money and do not deliever so watch out Stacy is one of the bad people out there. She dragged the project on for months and i tried to get a refund even hired a lawyer to go after her. But the cost of a lawyer was more than what she took.

@Dave - next time please contact with Szkutnik Team. You will avoid unpleasant situations.

@Dave - next time please contact with Szkutnik Team. You will avoid unpleasant situations.

i will keep that in mind there are bad people out there who will just take the money and run or do a bad job and refuse to work with you. Sad but true

now back to figuring out lady justice is just floating at the corner of the stern. I looked at the original admiralty drawings and Hahn's drawings and his model and architecturally it makes no sense, what is holding up a figure that weights hundreds of pounds?

first thanks to the SOS forum i found examples of figures at the corner of the stern. A long time ago i was kicked off a model ship forum for copying something out of one post and inserting it into another. Well i am going to do it here and claim "fair use"

it looks like these corner carvings of figures sit on a platform and supported by either a molding or another carving below.

IMG_06271a.jpgIMG_06291a.jpgIMG_07401A.jpg

my first idea was to extend the moldings to create a platform. Good idea from a practical point of view but stupid architecturally as it throws everything off. The blue tinted molding is still in the way so extending the figure outward has to clear the blue molding.

without characters3a.jpg

with characters 2a.jpg

i struggled with this for days drifting back and forth between working on the Sultana and Alfred. I really did not want to go to far beyond what the drawings are showing or what Harold built and they do not show any extended platform. I don't know if this ever happened to anyone else but i woke up the other night with an answer.
Don't extend anything out in set it

here is the corner between the stern and quarter gallery

inset2.jpg

here is a photoshop version with an inset the arrow is pointing to the platform created by in setting the corner. if i can not inset the figure deep enough i can always shave the back of the figure to sit deeper.

inset.jpg

Back