• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Amerigo Vespucci 1:84 by Panart/Mantua Build – RC Enabled

Happy Fathers Day!!!

And what a day it was.

I conducted the first sea trial today on sails (in the pool). There were four goals today. Verify ballast adjustments, perform self-righting tilt test, confirm rudder authority, and see how she performs on sail power.

Winds were very mild today with gusts to 10 knots.

Findings:

1- The ship requires an additional 500g in the stern to bring the hull on it's lines.

2- With the hull heeled to the rails, the ship self-rights with authority. I'm confident NO external ballast will be required. (See short vid).

3- Rudder authority appears to be adequate. When conditions required it, a short 'blip' on the throttle turns the hull smartly. I do not think I will need a rudder extension

4- Sea trial on sails. Full disclosure.... the pool is not the ideal setting for this test as it does not offer sufficient open-air. Still, I now have the confidence to continue tests in the Ocean. I still have to learn how to handle a square-rigger, especially coordinating the fore and main sails... however the prop is always there to get me out of trouble.

With this behind me, I'll complete the build and fine tune the automation.

Would it be fair to say this is the only Radio Controlled Amerigo Vespucci currently sailing the seas??? :cool:


 
With the last sea trial behind me, I'm again focusing on the preparation all the scale deck accessories. Given the ship will see a 'challenging' environment, I'm pinning all these little bits to ensure they don't get swept out to sea.

I'm also given consideration to opening the bulkhead at aft section of the motor room to allow me to slide the batteries further aft for better weight distribution. No easy task given access limitations.

Stay tuned....

AV Deck Bits.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I've been making a few adjustments to the engine room of late.... First, I replaced my cheap motor Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) with a more robust unit. My cheapo controller would lose reverse mode on occasion? No idea why... so I elected to upgrade to a proper Mtronic unit.

In addition, I installed a separate Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) that allows me to power the sail winches and rudder directly from the main batteries. It's a 10 Amp unit which should provide adequate power under all operating conditions.

Finally, I replaced the Qty:2 3300mAh, 12V batteries with Qty:2 1500mAh 16V batteries. The net effect is a reduction in 200grams of weight, and a reduction in energy capacity from 79Wh to 48Wh... still plenty for hours of sailing.

Batt Swap.jpegBEC.jpeg
 
Hi JJ,
I was so inspired by your post about building the RC version of the Amerigo Vespucci. I can't wait to see her in person in a few weeks!
I'd love to bring my camera and film her if that's okay with you.

Cheers,
Edward
 
Hi JJ,
I was so inspired by your post about building the RC version of the Amerigo Vespucci. I can't wait to see her in person in a few weeks!
I'd love to bring my camera and film her if that's okay with you.

Cheers,
Edward
With pleasure

I too am looking forward to the exhibition.
 
If you're looking for a simple way to isolate your system power supply, I've found a modified bulkhead connector makes for a convenient foundation for a pull-link.

The 'link' can be housed in pretty much any deck component, or in this case, disguised as a random vent.

The pull-link allows you to start-up the ship at the pond without risking any water ingress.

Deck SW1.jpegDeck SW2.jpeg
 
The Amerigo Vespucci RC build is getting close to completion. I had originally estimated a 2-year build, however it looks like it will only take 18-months..... however......

.. with completion in sight, I find my enthusiasm waning. In fact, I seem to spend more time looking at future build options, than working on the ship!

I believe they call this project fatigue or burnout.

Anyone else suffer this phenomenon? .... How do you get over it?

AV80PC.jpeg
 
I believe they call this project fatigue or burnout.

Anyone else suffer this phenomenon? .... How do you get over it?
I do indeed. It’s the reason why my own project, which I estimated to take a year, is approaching 2 years now and is maybe 70% done.

I don’t quite get over it. I just have to step away for a bit, let myself stretch a different creative muscle for a bit (writing, reading, exercise, etc.), but leave the ship where I can see it as a reminder: she’s still waiting. Eventually, I come back around. Unfortunately, I don’t have an instant fix.
 
I do indeed. It’s the reason why my own project, which I estimated to take a year, is approaching 2 years now and is maybe 70% done.

I don’t quite get over it. I just have to step away for a bit, let myself stretch a different creative muscle for a bit (writing, reading, exercise, etc.), but leave the ship where I can see it as a reminder: she’s still waiting. Eventually, I come back around. Unfortunately, I don’t have an instant fix.
You're absolutely correct! I too find it therapeutic to focus on other projects for a while... then eventually return to the ship build.

This time I fabricated the coffee-machine I always wanted. Using old parts from old coffee machines, and building a custom mounting frame. I now have a hybrid espresso machine that should hold me over until I come up with some other hairbrained idea.

With hope, this ship build will be completed before that happens :)

Final1.jpegFinal2.jpeg
 
So true JJ. I am at the 18 month mark on my AV. I have the OcCre Montanes kit unopened setting next to my work bench. I do find myself from time to time doing research about this future build. I probably have a few more months on my AV build but I am looking forward to tearing open the Montand.
 
You're absolutely correct! I too find it therapeutic to focus on other projects for a while... then eventually return to the ship build.

This time I fabricated the coffee-machine I always wanted. Using old parts from old coffee machines, and building a custom mounting frame. I now have a hybrid espresso machine that should hold me over until I come up with some other hairbrained idea.

With hope, this ship build will be completed before that happens :)

View attachment 632791View attachment 632792
JJ, I love the expresso machine. Very Cool! Magic Mike
 
Back
Top