And Another Bluenose

Hello Paul,

With interest I read about you reinforcing the base jig with a melamine plate of some thickness.
I did something similar, but to my dismay I found that it's no guarantee against warping.
It might not be a bad idea to regularly check your setup, to see if any deformation occurred.

Kind regards,

Johan

Hello Paul,

With interest I read about you reinforcing the base jig with a melamine plate of some thickness.
I did something similar, but to my dismay I found that it's no guarantee against warping.
It might not be a bad idea to regularly check your setup, to see if any deformation occurred.

Kind regards,

Johan
Thanks Johan, I will.

Hello Paul L, Golly but you sure building at a very fast rate of speed, I do not see your load bearing beams and cut off lines, it is best to mark these before removing from your building templet page.
Regards Lawrence
They are there. Nothing glued yet and a lot of sanding to do, just assembled the frames, the easy bit :confused:20220823_071240.jpg

Friday August 26th. I have got up to frame 26 and the first part of the keel put together. That will be it for a few days because it is bank holiday weekend here in the U. K. and it is our annual Sailing regatta at Scarborough Yacht club, where after 9 years as Rear Commodore I am now one of two Stewards, so we are in for a busy one.20220826_135529.jpg

Friday August 26th. I have got up to frame 26 and the first part of the keel put together. That will be it for a few days because it is bank holiday weekend here in the U. K. and it is our annual Sailing regatta at Scarborough Yacht club, where after 9 years as Rear Commodore I am now one of two Stewards, so we are in for a busy one.View attachment 325456
Excellent progress Paul. It is interesting that you mention the Bank Holiday weekend. This weekend of course (Sunday) it is also the 61st running of the Cowed to Torquay to Cowes Offshore Powerboat race. Two of my friends (Drew Langdon - Silverline and Maurizio Schepici - Tommy One) are competing so I will have to lay on an extra dose of objectivity and neutrality tomorrow. ROTF The fact that the overall winner will come from either one of those two boats (an almost certainty) doesn't help either! ROTF

The outer "leaves" were, at least for me, fitting like a glove.
I just didn't chamfer sufficiently to account for the planks, so I had to revisit that once I started planking.
The last picture you shared shows a step I do recognize; between the fwd- and aft keel parts. I modified the fwd keel to match the lower edge of the aft keel. You need to make sure those edges are aligned, since they form ánd the lower edge of the rebate ánd it's the edge against which the garboard fits, at least at the port side.

Hey Paul,
Nice progress!
I don't want to be known as the proverbial know-it-all, but you might want to revisit the chamfer of the "leaves"; later on you will be planking the port side and the planks in that area will run out on the dead wood, meaning they will be laying rather flat against the "leaves".
The blue line in the take outfrom your picture, see below, shows roughly where to start the chamfering and, if possible, as close to zero as one can get it.
I hope you don't mind, but, even though I did chamfer those parts 18, it was not shallow enough to comfortably plank that area.
Regards, Johan

414A9771-3C0C-458B-8AB2-9D580C139FAD.jpeg

Hey Paul,
Nice progress!
I don't want to be known as the proverbial know-it-all, but you might want to revisit the chamfer of the "leaves"; later on you will be planking the port side and the planks in that area will run out on the dead wood, meaning they will be laying rather flat against the "leaves".
The blue line in the take outfrom your picture, see below, shows roughly where to start the chamfering and, if possible, as close to zero as one can get it.
I hope you don't mind, but, even though I did chamfer those parts 18, it was not shallow enough to comfortably plank that area.
Regards, Johan

View attachment 326205
Not a problem, always good to have input and although it doesn't show it very clearly on the photo this area and the full length is chamfered.

Back