Anybody have any experience with Danish oil?

I use it. It seals the wood, darkens it and brings out the grain. Tung oil is also good.
Do you have any picture of final product? Also how many layers are you applying? I read it should be 4.

And I have also one question about use of this Danish oil. Before starting Armed Virginia Sloop model I carved out of wood some dishes and spoons. Can I use this oil on that wood products even when I intend eat from or with them?

Or do you have anything you do not like on this oil?

And I have also one question about use of this Danish oil. Before starting Armed Virginia Sloop model I carved out of wood some dishes and spoons. Can I use this oil on that wood products even when I intend eat from or with them?

Most current thinking regarding finishes and food safety is that a finish that cures, especially by polymerization like Danish oil, is food safe when COMPLETELY cured. This can take days, even weeks depending on the oil it is based on. These types of finishes become bonded to the wood and themselves and become essentially inert.

don't drink it that will kill you or use a spoon if it has not totally cured and that take a week or so. it won't kill you just make you sick

Most current thinking regarding finishes and food safety is that a finish that cures, especially by polymerization like Danish oil, is food safe when COMPLETELY cured. This can take days, even weeks depending on the oil it is based on. These types of finishes become bonded to the wood and themselves and become essentially inert.

No, go online to Woodcraft.com, they sell some food safe oil, or use vegetable oil, corn oil, possibly walnut oil as well.

As a side note don't eat off of shellac either, Shellac is nothing more than dried vomit from the Lac bug in Asia.

Jeff

You can get Natural Danish Oil or versions that also contain stain such as oak or maple. I usually use natural unless I want to darken the wood more. I may get several versions and do test coats on scrap wood. Usually use one coat although some people use several coats and do some light sanding when it’s cured.

...my personal preference is natural oils. Here are a few of them: Flaxseed and Linseed oils. Both of them give a real luxury varnish. If you mixed them with beeswax...you will enjoy the rest of your life. How many coats I use depends on the wood. For Pear and Boxwood (Costello) at usually 3 coats. I put oil liberally for 15 minutes, then I wipe out the excess and let it dry for 48 hours. lightly sand with 1000gtitt sandpaper, clean and repeat. After the final coat, I use steel wool 0000. I better be happy! :)

Why do you think I would drink it? :D
You know, that in the USA it is possible to go to court, when you got f.e. scalded by the coffee at McDonald - and you get billions of US$ as a compensation.
Or not putting the cat into the Micro-wave - I do not know how much the ex-cat-owner got
-> therefore the friends from the US are very careful
Sorry for the joke ;)

You know, that in the USA it is possible to go to court, when you got f.e. scalded by the coffee at McDonald - and you get billions of US$ as a compensation.
Or not putting the cat into the Micro-wave - I do not know how much the ex-cat-owner got
-> therefore the friends from the US are very careful
Sorry for the joke ;)

Does this coffee-thing refer to Starbucks too? Then next time as I go to the States I will go into Starbucks, ask for a coffee and spill it on myself - I would not drink it anyhow, because it is sh.t ...
Getting back to serious things, Uwe, I just realized that 10000+ number at your number of messages... unbelievable, great work!
Janos

After reading the above, I went out this morning and purchased a tin of Tung oil - It sounded more suitable for what I want to do. Polishing the base and display case edgings. I had already put some undercoats of laquer on the wood and rubbed it down with the fine steel wool. The first application of Tung Oil gave it a beautiful finish that is just what I was looking for. it remains to be seen whether it will still look the same after it has cured!
Bob

I supply blocks of wood to the local wood turners club so every once in a while I bring a load of wood in exchange for free coffee and donuts.

I asked them about oils they use
most say don't use anything natural like vegetable oil, corn oil, walnut oil or peanut oil, coconut oil. The reason they gave me is these natural oils in time will go rancid because they do not cure

Why do you think I would drink it? :D

just messing with you

but actually I have seen a warning on things like paint, varnish, finishing oils that say do not take internally. I wonder who would even consider that?

Back