Armed Virginia Sloop (Model Shipways) 1:48

I've bought some replacement parts for some of the kit parts.

shroud cleats.
View attachment 374594

Deck cleats.
View attachment 374595

Ships wheel. Closest size I could find.
View attachment 374596

Swivel gun. Will add handle and swivel base.
View attachment 374597

Cannons.
View attachment 374598

All blocks.
View attachment 374599

And all ropes.
I built this kit ,I have the list for the correct block sizes for rigging ,the kit supplied are way too big and oversized put of scale.

In addtion to the several builds on this and other sites, I found a free build instruction site.
HERE

I've only read/reviewed chapter one. But it has some good info.

First thing I found was he mentions the kits center keel is short. Mine was too. Actually my keel was shorted than his was.

IMG_3016.JPG

Also several of the slots were way different from the plans.

IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG

Kit suggests you bevel the bulkheads before installing. I couldn't figure out exactly where from the plans. Will bevel on the ship. All these parts are basswood and very easy to sand. Must be carefully as it's easy to remove too much.

Started gluing in the bulkheads.
IMG_3030.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

Glued in the 1st 7 pieces and though I had better check how it's going. I made sure the center keel and bulkheads were square and the center marks I put on the bulkheads were in the center of the keel.

Last edited:
Suggestions are appreciated... Only thing I can think of is the bulkhead slots need to be trimmed to level out the tops of the bulkhead and still keep the center of the bulkhead at the center of the keel at the deck level.

Does this sound right?

IMG_3033.JPG

My mistake. I was measuring from the last bulkhead I installed to the first bulkhead I installed. However that last bulkhead steps up about 1/8" from all the previous. So, there is very little difference between the 1st six.

I have been going over the 1st chapter several times. I've made so many mistakes in the past I am trying harder to get the build right on this build.

Looks like things are okay.

Last edited:
Suggestions are appreciated... Only thing I can think of is the bulkhead slots need to be trimmed to level out the tops of the bulkhead and still keep the center of the bulkhead at the center of the keel at the deck level.

Does this sound right?

View attachment 374641
Good morning. A beautiful sloop and I wil pull up a chair . Cheers Grant

Hi Rob. It is good to see that you have started a new build - the very best of luck - I hope you enjoy it!

Back