Armed Virginia Sloop (Model Shipways) 1:48

Finally finished planking the hull. It's a little rough. But, this is my first time planking with only one layer and cutting the small planking pieces. I believe it's more fun to cult the individual boards for planking rather than using a single strip.

View attachment 400083View attachment 400082View attachment 400080
View attachment 400086
Good morning. Good looking planking. Single layer always scares me, no second chances…I like the look of the you have achieved with the short planks and the caulking. Cheers Grant

Planking looks great with separate boards and not all same color in a band.

I have seen folks who will scribe a line in single board to try to look like individual planks, but they never look this good.

Working on the deck and top rails.

glued this decking to a paper so I could cut and glue in the small decking parts all at one time.
IMG_3454.JPG

I ripped off a small piece to cover this small area of decking and the small upright decking just below it. After I glued it in I decided I wanted a small edging piece at the front and had to cut off an area for the edging piece.
IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3467.JPG

Wonderful - just wonderful! I do like what you did with the outside planking and your
preparation for this type of build was fantastic. Best, wayne

I like your glass look, you can see thru it, but clearly what all the inside looks like. Shows the nice work, and hides the minor issues inside and below deck.

Finally got back to work on this little ship. Making the cannon carriages. This is so much fun! It ranks right up there with tying ratlines!!

View attachment 439442

I cut bottom off the kit side rail and ripped some small strips.
View attachment 439443

Ripping strips.
View attachment 439444

Then chopped into short pieces.
View attachment 439445

And glued them together.
View attachment 439446

One finished, 5 to go...
View attachment 439447View attachment 439448
Good morning. Very good. These are so small with loads of detail - way to go. Luckily only 6….and then rigging of these little fellows. Cheers Grant

Back