Artesania Latina Santisima Trinidad 1/84

P.S.
If you doing the coppering buy amatis' copper plates with small trimming to fit the scale
bit expensive but they are the best looking ones.

A small update as it best illustrates "working from a square corner out" when building hatches made up of multiple gratings.

I know I said "no exotic wood" but I did have some bits of Ebony in the scrap bin so sorry I am using that for the framework. It will save masking and painting the framework black, the gratings will be varnished wood. I will mill recesses for the cannon balls once the item is fully assembled

A nice comparison between the kit supplied part and my version. I figured the single expanses of Grating in the kit are too large and would be very weak in reality.

Finally a pic of the deck after the first coat of varnish, it had "cupped" in the middle slightly hence it being clamped to the piece of Pearwood while I apply the finish.

The spirit based Polyurethane has been thinned 20% with white spirit and applied by brush. I expect to have to apply a multitude of coats with sanding to get the finish I am after

View attachment 408018View attachment 408019View attachment 408020
Hi Nigel, Thoroughly enjoying your build so far. Your doing some excellent work and updates. How did you upgrade the gratings? The ones that came with "San Juan Nepomuceno" AL kit are too big. Would be nice to be able to have better fitting or more acceptable sized ones to fit to the model. Cheers.

Thanks everyone for comments likes etc

Paul - Old employer, different role, it pays the bills until something more suitable comes up

Guy - I already had 5 packs of Amati photo etch plates in 1/72 in my stash for something else, I was planning on using these on this build. I am not planning on cutting them down, lot of work for minimal gain. They are 5 x 17 mm from memory which I feel is near enough

@ConsNZ - Easy, Caldercraft 1mm Gratings

Thanks everyone for comments likes etc

Paul - Old employer, different role, it pays the bills until something more suitable comes up

Guy - I already had 5 packs of Amati photo etch plates in 1/72 in my stash for something else, I was planning on using these on this build. I am not planning on cutting them down, lot of work for minimal gain. They are 5 x 17 mm from memory which I feel is near enough

@ConsNZ - Easy, Caldercraft 1mm Gratings
Thank you Nigel. Checked out link(s) but they are a little too expensive (£2 per 30mm square) for us elderly folk way down here. Plus mortgage size shipping/mail.

Back