Artesania Latina SWIFT Virginia Pilot Boat/1805

I bought the boat model from Model Expo back in 1989 along with the solid hull Phantom which will be another re started build!
I framed it up and planked the deck and used toothpicks for the treenails, using a sharpie around the edges of the deck planking!
I then performed the first hull planking and this is how I left it since 1989! My hopes are with my renewed interest in model ship building I will finally finish what I started decades ago! Tonight I added one more plank to the hull both side of the hull since then now understanding tapering! More building and pics to follow!

IMG_4356.jpeg

IMG_4358.jpeg

IMG_4357.jpeg

IMG_4355.jpeg

IMG_4359.jpeg

I, too Look forward to your progress with interest. Nice Start. Keep it up and you'll have a really nice model to be proud of!
I started the "Sultana" in 1967 and finished it in 2007. My first kit, the Model Shipways "Young America" extreme clipper I got for Christmas 1955 and finished it in 2021! See "Images of completed models" :D
Pete

Very nice thus far. I like the neatly cut water escapes.(Too large to be called scuppers I think, but somebody will correct me on that, I suppose).
How will you finish the hull? Natural wood, varnished? Or paint. Possibly with a coppered bottom?
The wood work as is is very attractive.:)

Pete

Yeah the scuppers are a bit exaggerated! You know you open this one a bit then open that one and oh Fuch got to go back to the first one to make the second one even then move to the third one and ! I hav an idea on trimming them down bit more to come!

IMG_0783.jpeg

Actually, they look fine to me. Some Clipper Ships and windjammers had great gaping rectangular holes in their bulwarks covered with hinged lids, that look like curiously oversized, oblong gunport lids, which opened on the leeward side, when the ship was heeled over to let the seas roiling on deck escape. Hence "water escapes". The scuppers were smaller and closer together. The Clippers had both, scuppers on the forecastle and quarter decks, water escapes in the high sided bulwarks in between.
HMRY " Britannia" had them all along her bulwarks to either side. Only the covers were hinged just forward of center top and bottom, and they opened like gills on a fish on the leeward side in heavy seas. Your pilot boat has pretty high bulwarks, but these craft were pretty wet in heavy seas. On my diorama model you can see them closed on the starboard side of the model and open on the port side to leeward, letting the water run out off the deck. Only they're pretty well obscured by seafoam on that side.

Pete

Last edited:
Actually, they look fine to me. Some Clipper Ships and windjammers had great gaping rectangular holes in their bulwarks covered with hinged lids, that look like curiously oversized, oblong gunport lids, which opened on the leeward side, when the ship was heeled over to let the seas roiling on deck escape. Hence "water escapes". The scuppers were smaller and closer together. The Clippers had both, scuppers on the forecastle and quarter decks, water escapes in the high sided bulwarks in between.
HMRY " Britannia" had them all along her bulwarks to either side. Only they were hinged just forward of center top and bottom of the flaps, and they opened like gills on a fish on the leeward side in heavy seas. Your pilot boat has pretty high bulwarks, but these craft were pretty wet in heavy seas. On my diorama model you can see them closed on the starboard side of the model and open on the port side to leeward, letting the water run out off the deck. Only they're pretty well obscured by seafoam on that side.

Pete
Thank you for sharing this information! It’s always good to learn!

The water escape lids are visible on the outside of the bulwarks on my1:192 model of the "Young America" clipper. Probably a little hard to see in the photos. The water escape ports are suggested on the insides of the bulwarks with a thin black line and gray shadow defining them.

Pete

Ok I’m in need of opinions on my dilemma! I’m at the point of installing the Bowsprit and the short one in the picture is the correct one off the plans, the longer one is what I think is a more suitable or accurate for the boat but I’m a newb and not sure!

IMG_4888.jpeg

IMG_4889.jpeg

IMG_4890.jpeg

IMG_4887.jpeg

Back