Basic training

My basic problem is that I don't know any basic procedures. IE, how do you prepare a plank for first or second planking. Are all four sides sanded in preparation. Are the surface edges rounded slightly in the second planking layer. How do you handle tear outs when sanding.What to do when glue contaminated the finish. Plus a hundred other building procedures.
I guess I'm looking for a book that is a basic / intermediate primer. Not one associated with any particular build. I'm on a limited budget
Any suggestions are appreciatedm

To further explain I probably need a book in intermediate tups and techniques. I am adept at reading plans and schematics and understand the basic building process

Thanks for your response. Are you referring to online or this site I follow about six or eight online builders on YouTube but they never show how the actually figure out where to taper a plank or even when it becomes necessary. Another example is doing the brass for wife's, etc. Are they ane they anealing the brass
Btw, just found model ship world today.
It may provide a lot of what I'm looking for

There are an amazing amount of videos on you tube that will help you out. Also I think it is very helpful to start out with a simple kit or series of kits like I have. The Model expo people have a great 3 kit collection their model shipwrights collection. You can also buy each kit separately if you wish. As a great bonus if you finish the dory, take a picture of it and send it to them they will give you full credit of the price of you dory for your next buy.

I found it a great way to start!

There are an amazing amount of videos on you tube that will help you out. Also I think it is very helpful to start out with a simple kit or series of kits like I have. The Model expo people have a great 3 kit collection their model shipwrights collection. You can also buy each kit separately if you wish. As a great bonus if you finish the dory, take a picture of it and send it to them they will give you full credit of the price of you dory for your next buy.

Yes, indeed. I built the first two. And was very happy with them. I moved on to the AL Virginia Swift for my third model. The kit is so old, 1983, the the plywood delaminates when touched with and heat. The word tears out when sanded and the second planking for the deck varies from .3 to .6mm in thickness. I Soldiered on and am about halfway completed. I found Model Shipworld online today and started reading some of their tutorials.
I think I have the simpler skills in hand but want some directionoving to intermediate levels.

Hello Ted,

A few years ago, I was in the same position you are in now, not knowing much about ship modeling. I wanted to build a model of the USS Constitution. Browsing the internet I found LauckstreetShipyard.com. You can purchase various practicums, some specific to certain ships, that will describe in detail everything you need to know, including techniques and tools needed. After contacting Bob Hunt, who produced the practicums, I decided to build the HMS Vanguard 1/72 scale. His practicum has been immeasurably helpful to my ship modeling effort. I currently have a build log of my Vanguard on Ships of Scale. This is my first build.

Hello Ted,

A few years ago, I was in the same position you are in now, not knowing much about ship modeling. I wanted to build a model of the USS Constitution. Browsing the internet I found LauckstreetShipyard.com. You can purchase various practicums, some specific to certain ships, that will describe in detail everything you need to know, including techniques and tools needed. After contacting Bob Hunt, who produced the practicums, I decided to build the HMS Vanguard 1/72 scale. His practicum has been immeasurably helpful to my ship modeling effort. I currently have a build log of my Vanguard on Ships of Scale. This is my first build.
I checked out the Bluenose practicum. I will keep him in mind when selecting my next model

I actually built the first two. Also took advantage of the rebate. Thanks for your suggestion

My basic problem is that I don't know any basic procedures. IE, how do you prepare a plank for first or second planking. Are all four sides sanded in preparation. Are the surface edges rounded slightly in the second planking layer. How do you handle tear outs when sanding.What to do when glue contaminated the finish. Plus a hundred other building procedures.
I guess I'm looking for a book that is a basic / intermediate primer. Not one associated with any particular build. I'm on a limited budget
Any suggestions are appreciatedm
will come back. In fact I have (had ) an idea to make a type of booclet of "HOW TO BUILD A MODEL FROM A-Z. Covering all aspec, but for the moment not much interest

I have a file with more than 40 GB, which I have built up over the past 10 years, as not building any more. some of your questions you can be found under el Capi. Anyhow if somebody needs info. I am always ready to help even with riggen bloks etc- el capi

I have a file with more than 40 GB, which I have built up over the past 10 years, as not building any more. some of your questions you can be found under el Capi. Anyhow if somebody needs info. I am always ready to help even with riggen bloks etc- el capi
JUST ASK, I my wife problems, it can be sooner or later- ei capi

if fotr more private questions you can use my mail_PEANDERSEN1098@GMAIL.COM

I actually built the first two. Also took advantage of the rebate. Thanks for your suggestion
JUST ASK for what you need. I ship from A to Z, even before you start, taking into account the money costs, finding the right kit to start with, tool rooms, NESASARIE MINIMUM TOOLS, and then more professional tools- depending on how much you want to spend. then different glues, paints etc,
2Nd parts is about building up the Hull -keel. false keel, before you insert the bulkhead- this can take up to a year.
this part I am not strictly following instructions manuals, as I would never inset the gecks. as per instruction. I built the hull completely before adding the deck- but this a little too early for many,

Read a build log and then ask the owner of the log for more details when you have questions. You can learn a lot very quickly. Members here respond very well to private messages with questions, yet most new members are afraid to ask. Some question/answer dialogs I have had in the past were added to my build log because they were interesting.

Read a build log and then ask the owner of the log for more details when you have questions. You can learn a lot very quickly. Members here respond very well to private messages with questions, yet most new members are afraid to ask. Some question/answer dialogs I have had in the past were added to my build log because they were interesting.
Agee.

Back