Basic training

JUST ASK for what you need. I ship from A to Z, even before you start, taking into account the money costs, finding the right kit to start with, tool rooms, NESASARIE MINIMUM TOOLS, and then more professional tools- depending on how much you want to spend. then different glues, paints etc,
2Nd parts is about building up the Hull -keel. false keel, before you insert the bulkhead- this can take up to a year.
this part I am not strictly following instructions manuals, as I would never inset the gecks. as per instruction. I built the hull completely before adding the deck- but this a little too early for many,
Thank you

Read a build log and then ask the owner of the log for more details when you have questions. You can learn a lot very quickly. Members here respond very well to private messages with questions, yet most new members are afraid to ask. Some question/answer dialogs I have had in the past were added to my build log because they were interesting.
Thank you

My basic problem is that I don't know any basic procedures. IE, how do you prepare a plank for first or second planking. Are all four sides sanded in preparation. Are the surface edges rounded slightly in the second planking layer. How do you handle tear outs when sanding.What to do when glue contaminated the finish. Plus a hundred other building procedures.
I guess I'm looking for a book that is a basic / intermediate primer. Not one associated with any particular build. I'm on a limited budget
Any suggestions are appreciatedm
I suggest taking a look at build practicums done by professional modelers to teach modelers of all levels technique as well as in depth instructions on specific models. One such source is Lauckstreetshipyard.com which is Bob Hunt’s college of model ship building. He has practicums for beginner to experienced, for kit builds and how to do scratch builds. You pay for a practicum that meets your needs but it is more that worth the cost! Bob Hunt is an easy straight forward instructor and I guarantee you will learn the basics!

Thanks for your response. Are you referring to online or this site I follow about six or eight online builders on YouTube but they never show how the actually figure out where to taper a plank or even when it becomes necessary. Another example is doing the brass for wife's, etc. Are they ane they anealing the brass
Btw, just found model ship world today.
It may provide a lot of what I'm looking for
On YouTube search for "tapering hull planks" and there are several dozen videos. Here are just two...

Thank you
Hi Ted
I started the final 2. planking on the primary planking of my new model La Couronne from Corel. The attachments can give you an idea for tapering and positioning of the stripes.The material of the stripes for this part of the planking are mahagoni,which needs much care while longitudinal tapering and during hot and wet bending. They are very brittle because the kit is from 1990. I am using CA glue for the planking. I could have also used aliphatic glue or Uhu Hart but hey take more time to dry
Cheers

2Planking LaCou (2).JPG

2Planking LaCou (3).JPG

2Planking LaCou (4).JPG

2Planking LaCou (5).JPG

2Planking LaCou (1).JPG

Hi Ted
I started the final 2. planking on the primary planking of my new model La Couronne from Corel. The attachments can give you an idea for tapering and positioning of the stripes.The material of the stripes for this part of the planking are mahagoni,which needs much care while longitudinal tapering and during hot and wet bending. They are very brittle because the kit is from 1990. I am using CA glue for the planking. I could have also used aliphatic glue or Uhu Hart but hey take more time to dry
Cheers

View attachment 429986

View attachment 429987

View attachment 429988

View attachment 429989

View attachment 429990
Thank you for the photos including the selfie in the mirror. It nice to be able to visualize the person I'm texting with.
What a beautiful ship and I like your workshop layout.
I couldn't help but notice the bending jig on your worktop. Did you make this?

The bending jig on the photo consists of a simple wooden plate with randomly drilled holes (just for different bending angles) The articles made out of wood in the picture are made by myself ,the rest are bought .
With water soaked stripe part which should bend is gently worked out with allready heated soldering iron headpiece incrementally on the bending jig till the desired bending effect is reached (specific head attached)..The pins can be made out of alumunium or s-steel or even out of hard wood to avoid possible rust if sometimes the bended part has to stay wet on the bending jig.
The attachments include my working place and the models i built and building at the moment. My first ship Adler von Luebeck is not on the photo I included a better photo of mine too for a more detalied visualisation than the unintended taken selfie in the previous attachments .

WRKS (2).jpg

WRKS (3).jpg

WRKS (4).jpg

WRKS (1).jpg

Sorry, my english is not that good ,what do you mean writing "Of course I'm out of the smaller line due to I believe kit shortages". Are parts missing from your kit which you want to build.

Very mysterious.
The copy of your full message which you posted to me is as below;
"What a fleet of beautiful models
Thank for the close up of your bending jig. I just finished my third model today except for rigging the mainsail deadeyes.
Of course I'm out of the smaller line due to I believe kit shortages."

Anyway, thank you for your appreciation ,wish you a nice weekend and a healthy and a happy modeling

My basic problem is that I don't know any basic procedures. IE, how do you prepare a plank for first or second planking. Are all four sides sanded in preparation. Are the surface edges rounded slightly in the second planking layer. How do you handle tear outs when sanding.What to do when glue contaminated the finish. Plus a hundred other building procedures.
I guess I'm looking for a book that is a basic / intermediate primer. Not one associated with any particular build. I'm on a limited budget
Any suggestions are appreciatedm
have a look at the MSB JOURNAL. Another one is an article, that I have sent out various times about planking for beginners - my bible - this is what you need. I very seldom use dobbel planking, because following the instruction, you do not need in most cases to do a 2Nd planking, if it is not needed for other reasons.
Apart from that, in my databank I have :from Before You Begin; Find You Right Model and its difficulties, Toolroom or other working space, the minimum amounts of tools, more tools including professional tools, glues: paints; All things you need before you begin.
then building up the Hull from Keel, False Keel, stern and bow part, and the bulkheads: The way I was building was to make the DEcks -all made outside using a dobbelside glue.: next all things to be fastened to the Deck (deckhouses, etc.
: The Galleries (one of my speciality) Later Masts and its part, Yards.:them standing riggen completes. next, the Running Riggen was divided into two: One for maintaining the Yarfs and mast. The second is to maintain sails-furled or not, set up right to the wind etc

BB-09-02 MESURING.jpg

BB-09-01 MESURING BULKH.jpg

BB-09-05-SCALE.jpg

Attachments

• BB-10-00.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
This is exactly what I have been looking for. I believe it is going to be very helpful in developing the skills I need for ship modeling.
Thank you very much

This is exactly what I have been looking for. I believe it is going to be very helpful in developing the skills I need for ship modeling.
Thank you very much
YOU are welcome to ask and come back when you need, I have only 50 plus on my back building. started in 1962. I was 3 years working in the neighbour town where Billing Boat started,

have a look at the MSB JOURNAL. Another one is an article, that I have sent out various times about planking for beginners - my bible - this is what you need. I very seldom use dobbel planking, because following the instruction, you do not need in most cases to do a 2Nd planking, if it is not needed for other reasons.
Apart from that, in my databank I have :from Before You Begin; Find You Right Model and its difficulties, Toolroom or other working space, the minimum amounts of tools, more tools including professional tools, glues: paints; All things you need before you begin.
then building up the Hull from Keel, False Keel, stern and bow part, and the bulkheads: The way I was building was to make the DEcks -all made outside using a dobbelside glue.: next all things to be fastened to the Deck (deckhouses, etc.
: The Galleries (one of my speciality) Later Masts and its part, Yards.:them standing riggen completes. next, the Running Riggen was divided into two: One for maintaining the Yarfs and mast. The second is to maintain sails-furled or not, set up right to the wind etc

View attachment 431169

View attachment 431170

View attachment 431171
Thank you so much for the planking guide!!

Back