Basic training

I’m a huge fan of Olha Batchvarov’s site. She makes it look so easy but I know better… She is also very good at answering questions when asked. I believe she (and her husband) are members of SOS.
I also follow Prof Batchvarov's YouTube channel. Building and archaeological perspectives ont the same subject on occasion .

@ Ted R.: Thanks for starting this thread. The information and videos have been very helpful.

I've watched a number of videos, read several documents (i.e.: Beginners Guide to Planking, etc.) and as I am getting ready to begin the 1st planking of the Polaris, I find myself confused as to where to lay the 1st plank. The Occre instructions / video indicate starting below and tight to the bulwark and work the way down to the keel. I've read elsewhere that one leaves a small gap between bulwark. Others put temporary battens and divide the hull into 3 sections (banding). Others lay the garboard strake and work up from the keel. And there are other approaches.
This is my first POB build so any suggestions would be most helpful. If there are SoS threads that address my question, please point me there. Thank you.
...henry

@ Ted R.: Thanks for starting this thread. The information and videos have been very helpful.

I've watched a number of videos, read several documents (i.e.: Beginners Guide to Planking, etc.) and as I am getting ready to begin the 1st planking of the Polaris, I find myself confused as to where to lay the 1st plank. The Occre instructions / video indicate starting below and tight to the bulwark and work the way down to the keel. I've read elsewhere that one leaves a small gap between bulwark. Others put temporary battens and divide the hull into 3 sections (banding). Others lay the garboard strake and work up from the keel. And there are other approaches.
This is my first POB build so any suggestions would be most helpful. If there are SoS threads that address my question, please point me there. Thank you.
...henry
I understand you are confused, the manufacturers' guide -is not directly wrong but not clear. you will learn little by little.
In your case listen to an old Rat like me -more than 60 years of build- and follow the beginner's guide of planking. You will have to measure the widest bulkhead and dive it with the with of the plank- in many models about 4 mm - this will give you an idea of how many strikes you need, not only here but along the whole ship. This means that each strike will have to be cut -which will described in the beginner guide to planking - I sent the article out last week let's say midship you need 70, then you will need 70 on steam- naturally cut into it fit. I learned very early from an Old sailer, that from the start there are 3 main planks- nº 1 about 2 mm below the main deck, and the 2Nd is the GARDBORD ONE. then divide one in the middle. now as you mention the are builders who make 3 or more bands for a more exact measurement. It is correct some builders start from the top and go downwards, then at the same time go upwards. ay the end they will meet approximately in the middle
when done this itIS IMPORTANT to insert a BOWFILLER and some a stern filler.

291- BULÑKKEAD MESSURE.jpg

351-- HULL-MEASSURING.jpg

370-PLANKING.jpg

371-PLANKING.jpg

326- FALSE KEEL, BULKHEADS+GARDBOARD.jpg

274-PREPARATION FALSE KEEL.jpg

401-FILLER BOW.jpg

488-- HULL.jpg

616--HULL.jpg

630-HULL.jpg

...henry
Henry,
I have only completed one POB model. So I'm as new to this as you are. The instructions below a are excellent description of the process. Also watch Ariplantis and Paul Lester on you tube. Don't be afraid to toss a strake that didn't work out and just have fun. I now this is stressful but it's a learned skill.
It was recommended and I started a build log. when you run into trouble just post your problem with some photos. The members are very helpful and will provide you with options and solutions.
Also read a lot of build logs. I'm sure thier must be at least one OcCre Polaris build log.
Best of luck on your Polaris

@ El Capi & Ted R. Thank you for your responses. I've put the planking on hold as I'm going to install the bow and stern filler blocks. Also, I searched and read several build logs and found one that had a lot of excellent inputs from El Capi. I think the SoS member was xmtrdude and his Polaris build was in 2022. One of the suggestions was to install the keel before the planking. And following the Beginners Guide to Planking tutorial, I'll carve the bearding line and rabbet on the keel. Then I'll start the pre-measurements before the first plank goes down.
Again, thank you both !!

@ El Capi & Ted R. Thank you for your responses. I've put the planking on hold as I'm going to install the bow and stern filler blocks. Also, I searched and read several build logs and found one that had a lot of excellent inputs from El Capi. I think the SoS member was xmtrdude and his Polaris build was in 2022. One of the suggestions was to install the keel before the planking. And following the Beginners Guide to Planking tutorial, I'll carve the bearding line and rabbet on the keel. Then I'll start the pre-measurements before the first plank goes down.
Again, thank you both !!
Your welcome, have fun, don't get discouraged, use Pva glue so you can easily remove mistakes you can't live with.
I'm am speaking from experience

Again, thank you both !!
You are welcome to come back on time

Henry,
I have only completed one POB model. So I'm as new to this as you are. The instructions below a are excellent description of the process. Also watch Ariplantis and Paul Lester on you tube. Don't be afraid to toss a strake that didn't work out and just have fun. I now this is stressful but it's a learned skill.
It was recommended and I started a build log. when you run into trouble just post your problem with some photos. The members are very helpful and will provide you with options and solutions.
Also read a lot of build logs. I'm sure thier must be at least one OcCre Polaris build log.
Best of luck on your Polaris
What is a POB Model ?

Hi TR
I don’t have a special build log but i have photos from each buildphase of my model.Momentarily i finished the second planking.I have to make a small restoration because i wanted to add some color to this model and used blue red and white betw wales to symbolize the french warship.terrible mistake of mine.Namely During the 15 th century they actuaaly had golden lyle de france on blue background.So İ have to repair these colors and some other small improvements on the deck to simply next building steps.After that i will share photos what i already finished until now
Best Regards

I started my first bullet log on the Virginia Swift. It's completed except for final photos. Now I'm building one of the YQ plank on frame models. I just post photos as I go and type in my questions and other requests. Thank God for this site trying to build my first pot model and the instructions in Chinese. A couple of the completed build logs act as.step by step instructions with personal help from the builders. Love this site.

It appears that the pear wood on the YQ Bluenose starts oxidizing soon after sanding l. I've seen mention in the build logs of using a light coat of varnish to protect the wood and prevent discoloration from the char.
If I used the varnish now during frame construction would it prevent me from using linseed or tung.oil on the final finish?
Thank you
Ted

Just apply colorless nitrocellulose fiiling varnish (it contains stearate for easy sanding),then you can use your oil already solved in alcohol,butylacetate or cellulose based thinner on the dried varnished area.
İmportant: Try it on an independent piece of wood first if OK then on your model

Again, thank you both !!
Hi,
I will also install the keel before planking with my current build as I had troubles with installing it afterwards. Maybe the troubles came because it was my first build, but in my opinion (unfortunally after the first build) it should be easier this way to prevent gaps.
cheers

It appears that the pear wood on the YQ Bluenose starts oxidizing soon after sanding l. I've seen mention in the build logs of using a light coat of varnish to protect the wood and prevent discoloration from the char.
If I used the varnish now during frame construction would it prevent me from using linseed or tung.oil on the final finish?
Thank you
Ted
Hi, depending on the humidity in your area. Many types of wood need once a year an Oil treatment, as the wood can dry out. They are in different colours.

Back