Batavia VOC 1:72 Kolderstok by RobertD

Just received in good order the ‘Batavia’ kit from Kolderstok my next project ! that will keep me going for a while , why did I like this project you might ask ? first of all my ancestors originated from the Island of Texel , seafarers from way back and in our blood , the Brouwer Route from Cape of Good Hope towards Western Australia to save
voyage time and speed on the ‘Roaring Forties’ , instead of via Madagascar and Ceylon towards Strait Sunda , not to forget the mind boggling atrocities that happened on the first and last voyage

IMG_0333.jpeg

IMG_0332.jpeg

IMG_0331.jpeg

IMG_0330.jpeg

IMG_2285.jpeg

Last edited:
Just received in good order the ‘Batavia’ kit from Kolderstok my next project ! that will keep me going for a while , why did I like this project you might ask ? first of all my ancestors originated from the Island of Texel , seafarers from way back and in our blood , the Brouwer Route from Cape of Good Hope towards Western Australia to save
voyage time and speed on the ‘Roaring Forties’ , instead of via Madagascar and Ceylon towards Strait Sunda , not to forget the mind boggling atrocities that happened on the first and last voyage

View attachment 377378

View attachment 377379

View attachment 377380

View attachment 377381

View attachment 377382
Good morning Robert. I have pulled up a chair. She has some connection to my part of the world so very keen to see some of those wonderful pictures on your balcony sometime.Cheers Grant

Hi Robertd, I'll take a seat next to Grant and follow the construction again and above all enjoy the beautiful view.

Good morning Robert. I have pulled up a chair. She has some connection to my part of the world so very keen to see some of those wonderful pictures on your balcony sometime.Cheers Grant
Just opened the box and contemplate the ‘plan of attack’ so to speak , frames first on the false keel or lower deck , what works best , yes an interesting build for sure , actually when sailing myself as a deck officer on ‘Safocean Albany’ between Australia and SA we sometimes took the route close to Amsterdam Island towards Australia in the roaring forties , have to admit not pleasant , ship rolling endless

Recently read the book so interested how you go with this one, I shall watch from the sidelines.

Good luck with this beautiful kit. Nice to know you ancesters came from Texel. Just been there for a week, and Texel has a rich history with the ships laying for anchor at the coast of Texel near the town Oudeschild. It was called the "Reede van Texel". Batavia was probably laying there as well before she set sail to sea and to the East.

Maquette-Reede-van-Texel_VVV-Texel.jpg

Good luck with this beautiful kit. Nice to know you ancesters came from Texel. Just been there for a week, and Texel has a rich history with the ships laying for anchor at the coast of Texel near the town Oudeschild. It was called the "Reede van Texel". Batavia was probably laying there as well before she set sail to sea and to the East.

Maquette-Reede-van-Texel_VVV-Texel.jpg
Absolutely fabulous ! would love to see it , my wife is pressing me to go there already ! to do some research and investigation ,

Absolutely fabulous ! would love to see it , my wife is pressing me to go there already ! to do some research and investigation ,
This is a picture taken of a maquette of "De Reede". It's located within the museum Kaap Skil in Oudeschild. In this museum all kinds of ships wreck treasures, cannons, porcelain etc are displayed. Most recently a royal dress (probably house of Stuart) from around 1640. It has been on the bottom of the sea for almost 400 years and still looks stunning with gold and silver inlay!

Objecten-De-Jurk-donkere-achtergond-c-Provincie-Noord-Holland-Kees-Zwaan-1.jpg

So far the progress , actually I follow Heinrich’s Batavia to the letter and much appreciated !I fitted the bulkheads to the help deck with a bit of glue and then slowly lowered the frames and help deck into the false keel position for a final fitting , must admit the quality of the laser cut is outstanding , No sanding required and all fits like a glove , I won’t go in all the detail as Heinrich’s built is more than adequate , just show my progress so now and then .

IMG_2288.jpeg

IMG_2287.jpeg

Just opened the box and contemplate the ‘plan of attack’ so to speak , frames first on the false keel or lower deck , what works best , yes an interesting build for sure , actually when sailing myself as a deck officer on ‘Safocean Albany’ between Australia and SA we sometimes took the route close to Amsterdam Island towards Australia in the roaring forties , have to admit not pleasant , ship rolling endless
Robertd . I have been contemplating the Batavia as a next build after my Santa Maria, I was thinking that the freight from Holland might add to much cost wise to Aus.
I wish you the best for a mighty project ,and will follow you with interest

Robertd . I have been contemplating the Batavia as a next build after my Santa Maria, I was thinking that the freight from Holland might add to much cost wise to Aus.
I wish you the best for a mighty project ,and will follow you with interest
Unfortunately shipping is an added cost of 35 Euros= Aus$ 56, anyway it is a beautiful project and quality

Back