Batavia VOC 1:72 Kolderstok by RobertD

Part of the research
Just pulled up a chair Robert, looking forward to watching your progress with Batavia. Good luck :)
Been away to see some friends interstate , however today worked on her , will post some of the progress tomorrow , in the meantime research and some parts I had to redo ( for some reason I misplaced the original supplied ) anyway I have the tools to rectify that , thank goodness ! I purchased the book ‘Shipbuilding in the Golden Age , so I can get away with my own interpretations in the build so now and then like Nicolaes Witsen , keep you posted

So far the progress , actually I follow Heinrich’s Batavia to the letter and much appreciated !I fitted the bulkheads to the help deck with a bit of glue and then slowly lowered the frames and help deck into the false keel position for a final fitting , must admit the quality of the laser cut is outstanding , No sanding required and all fits like a glove , I won’t go in all the detail as Heinrich’s built is more than adequate , just show my progress so now and then .

View attachment 377597

View attachment 377598

I'll follow the construction of your 'Batavia' with much interest.
I am living at some 40 kmtrs from Lelystad where I frequented the yard in the eighties where the 1:1 'Batavia was reconstructed and where she is still on her berth.

Building so far , the red encircled replaced , must have lost the original laser cut ones , anyway not such a big deal , the deck planking coated with sanding sealer , the stern not fixed as the windows have to be installed first up, I might start the Hull planking with Oak , yes the timber they used in those times , must admit it is pretty solid stuff ! to cut the planks initially using a cutter but that failed and broke the cutter, so using my model circular saw as from now on , the quality of the Kolderstok model is outstanding .

IMG_2292.jpeg

IMG_2291.jpeg

IMG_2290.jpeg

Good luck with this beautiful kit. Nice to know you ancesters came from Texel. Just been there for a week, and Texel has a rich history with the ships laying for anchor at the coast of Texel near the town Oudeschild. It was called the "Reede van Texel". Batavia was probably laying there as well before she set sail to sea and to the East.

Maquette-Reede-van-Texel_VVV-Texel.jpg
Funnily enough we have just sailed into oudeschilde yesterday from England and visiting the museum today or tomorrow!!

Worked on the planking upwards , however until I have my chamfer tool will leave the real bending work towards the keel till I have that little gadget , also I leave the nails (only) in the double planked Wales ,just more authenticity , it looks pretty rough when you look very closely but a bit of sanding hopefully will turn alright , as I mentioned before the planking is in Oak , pretty solid stuff and getting those little nails in is quite an effort , bending however is a breeze , actually I only use a steam Iron to great result

IMG_2325.jpeg

IMG_2327.jpeg

IMG_2324.jpeg

IMG_2323.jpeg

IMG_2319.jpeg

IMG_2321.jpeg

IMG_2322.jpeg

IMG_2328.jpeg

Worked on the planking upwards , however until I have my chamfer tool will leave the real bending work towards the keel till I have that little gadget , also I leave the nails (only) in the double planked Wales ,just more authenticity , it looks pretty rough when you look very closely but a bit of sanding hopefully will turn alright , as I mentioned before the planking is in Oak , pretty solid stuff and getting those little nails in is quite an effort , bending however is a breeze , actually I only use a steam Iron to great result

View attachment 383259

View attachment 383260

View attachment 383261

View attachment 383262

View attachment 383263

View attachment 383264

View attachment 383265

View attachment 383266
Looks good to me, nice work.

Good start on the planking Robert. That chamfering tool looks really handy, and probably a lot more accurate than doing it by hand. Look forward to watching your continued progress with this, good luck Thumbsup

View attachment 383259

View attachment 383260

View attachment 383261

View attachment 383262

View attachment 383263

View attachment 383264

View attachment 383265

View attachment 383266
Good morning Robert. All looking mighty fine. That chamfering tool looks a treat. Will be a pleasure to plank with accurate chamfered planks- snug and tight. Cheers Grant

View attachment 383259

View attachment 383260

View attachment 383261

View attachment 383262

View attachment 383263

View attachment 383264

View attachment 383265

View attachment 383266
great progress Robert, well done Thumbs-Up :)

Hi Robert

Definitely pulling up a chair for this one.
I have been looking at Kolderstoks "Die Seven provinces" for some time now, but have been unsure of how good/bad Kolderstok kits are regards parts/plans and instructions, so hopefully this will give me a better insight on what I decide.
I also love the history of the Dutch warships of this period of which I have/but not yet started, Mamoli's Dutch 80 gun "Friesland" kit, which incidentally I have posted an unboxing on here.

Really looking forward to how this progresses.

All the best
Rob.

Back