Batavia VOC 1:72 Kolderstok by RobertD

The Chamfering tool , it works okay , but since the hull planks are in Oak it is hard to see because of the density of the wood , in hindsight I might give it a shot with other timbers .

Thank you for your response. I need to assemble that little gadget and try it out.

Jan

Dear Robert. You must be very pleased at the way your Batavia is turning out. It is a beautiful ship to build and yours is right up with the best ones I have seen. The rudder assembly looks perfect!

Dear Robert. You must be very pleased at the way your Batavia is turning out. It is a beautiful ship to build and yours is right up with the best ones I have seen. The rudder assembly looks perfect!
Thank you Heinrich , a great ship to build , I have been working on it everyday in my Man’s Cave whilst the Admiral is overseas to visit her grandchildren , I have used tiny nails to temporary secure the planks of Oak on the frames whilst the glue sets , that Oak is so dense to even get a nail in is tough !hope you had a nice break in SA , cheers Rob

working on the bow , gave a white under water coat , initially tried a spray paint , that was not so successful so used an acrylic brush source and a decent masking tape , of course there are always issues , I refer a lot to Nicolaes Witsen , ship building in the Dutch golden age for ideas , for instance I will use a lot of gold paint instead of yellow ( yes they used that as well during that time ) I black painted the guns , on the merchant vessels in that time hardly copper that was reserved for the Navy

IMG_2372.jpeg

IMG_2371.jpeg

IMG_2368.jpeg

Beautiful Robert. That oak hull looks wonderful and offsets the colors beautifully.

Nice work Robert! Wow, you do go through your modelling at a blistering pace? Very impressive Thumbsup

Last edited:
Beautiful Robert. That oak hull looks wonderful and offsets the colors beautifully.
Thanks Heinrich , the supposed to fabricate the Rudder hinges with the brass supplied would be a disaster with drilling holes and soldering hence I ordered

Rudder Hinge – Brass – 1/8″ X 43/64″ (3x17mm)​

No soldering needed , also an extra hole can be drilled easily , the nails in the kit are robust so used smaller nails from a different source in the wales , to be more authentic

IMG_2373.jpeg

Dear Robert. Can you please tell me where you sourced those hinges from? I think that is also the route I would like to follow on the Willem Barentsz.

working on the bow , gave a white under water coat , initially tried a spray paint , that was not so successful so used an acrylic brush source and a decent masking tape , of course there are always issues , I refer a lot to Nicolaes Witsen , ship building in the Dutch golden age for ideas , for instance I will use a lot of gold paint instead of yellow ( yes they used that as well during that time ) I black painted the guns , on the merchant vessels in that time hardly copper that was reserved for the Navy

View attachment 387900

View attachment 387901

View attachment 387902
Good morning Robert. I love it. The oak with the white below the waterline is beautiful. You are owning this. Cheers Grant

Progress so far , touched up the paintwork , had too! in natural light ,it shows the blemishes , I have from other sources hinges for the Gun Ports , they are non metal , I think they are pretty neat , working on the stern and aft part , the paint clolor , the admiral liked this better! of course I rectify and clean up as I go along ,

IMG_2382.jpeg

IMG_2381.jpeg

IMG_2379.jpeg

IMG_2377.jpeg

IMG_2376.jpeg

She has teeth! From what I can remember those 22 cannons add a bit of weight to the model!

She’s coming along nicely!
Luckily for you she's not one of those 100-gun behemoths.

Last edited:
Back