Batavia VOC 1:72 Kolderstok by RobertD

Worked on the planking upwards , however until I have my chamfer tool will leave the real bending work towards the keel till I have that little gadget , also I leave the nails (only) in the double planked Wales ,just more authenticity , it looks pretty rough when you look very closely but a bit of sanding hopefully will turn alright , as I mentioned before the planking is in Oak , pretty solid stuff and getting those little nails in is quite an effort , bending however is a breeze , actually I only use a steam Iron to great result

View attachment 383259

View attachment 383260

View attachment 383261

View attachment 383262

View attachment 383263

View attachment 383264

View attachment 383265

View attachment 383266
Robert, Looks like solid progress! You might find that some of your oak is denser than others in the batch. You can pre-drill a pilot hole in the areas that are troublesome. I have this chamfering tool, it does work pretty nice.

Robert, Looks like solid progress! You might find that some of your oak is denser than others in the batch. You can pre-drill a pilot hole in the areas that are troublesome. I have this chamfering tool, it does work pretty nice.
I don’t find Oak all that troublesome , it surely is denser than other timbers , but sands very well , drilling is no option for me , the nails are very tiny and finding a drill equal in size , bending the timber is easy , using a Steam Iron while bending

Hi Robert

Definitely pulling up a chair for this one.
I have been looking at Kolderstoks "Die Seven provinces" for some time now, but have been unsure of how good/bad Kolderstok kits are regards parts/plans and instructions, so hopefully this will give me a better insight on what I decide.
I also love the history of the Dutch warships of this period of which I have/but not yet started, Mamoli's Dutch 80 gun "Friesland" kit, which incidentally I have posted an unboxing on here.

Really looking forward to how this progresses.

All the best
Rob.
G‘day Rob , The Kolderstok plans are very accurate , the instructions in three languages are okay , in my case I follow it mainly in English however understand Dutch as well , the kit itself is superb , the laser cut couldn’t be any better , the nails I am using are from a third source not Kolderstok , and I love the Oak for planking , yes they used Oak in those days for the Hull and less density material for other areas , cheers

Nice progress Robert. I find it interesting that several times you have commented on how easy it is to work with the oak - others have reported different experiences...
The issue is the density of the timber , drilling is troublesome and using a hand cutter ( Artesania) is useless , I broke the blade once , so I cut the timber using a mini circular bench Proxxon saw

G‘day Rob , The Kolderstok plans are very accurate , the instructions in three languages are okay , in my case I follow it mainly in English however understand Dutch as well , the kit itself is superb , the laser cut couldn’t be any better , the nails I am using are from a third source not Kolderstok , and I love the Oak for planking , yes they used Oak in those days for the Hull and less density material for other areas , cheers
Hi Robert

That's great to news to hear about their kits and just the confirmation I needed. I was wondering about the planking too, and you have just enhanced my conception of using Oak wood instead of the Walnut as you well know they give you 2 options here.
Hoping those English instructions are OK and are workable, as I do not speak or read a second language.
"Die Seven Provinces" now just became more of a reality now, can't thank you enough for this insight into Kolderstok. I will however keep following your build with massive interest to see how she goes together.

All the best
Robert.

Hi Robert

That's great to news to hear about their kits and just the confirmation I needed. I was wondering about the planking too, and you have just enhanced my conception of using Oak wood instead of the Walnut as you well know they give you 2 options here.
Hoping those English instructions are OK and are workable, as I do not speak or read a second language.
"Die Seven Provinces" now just became more of a reality now, can't thank you enough for this insight into Kolderstok. I will however keep following your build with massive interest to see how she goes together.

All the best
Robert.
It can be confusing reading different languages , but I manage and the English version is pretty solid , however the instruction booklet lack the detailed process photographs that other manufactures have in their arsenal , so you have to resort to the original plans , and they are very accurate and the right scale , it means going back and forward , don’t get me wrong I also follow other Batavia builds as I go along to verify correctness and ideas , and on occasions change things a bit , for example I didn’t build the Gun Ports off site

It can be confusing reading different languages , but I manage and the English version is pretty solid , however the instruction booklet lack the detailed process photographs that other manufactures have in their arsenal , so you have to resort to the original plans , and they are very accurate and the right scale , it means going back and forward , don’t get me wrong I also follow other Batavia builds as I go along to verify correctness and ideas , and on occasions change things a bit , for example I didn’t build the Gun Ports off site
Hi Robert

I can relate to that regards to the English instructions and lack of building photos where you need to relate bk and forth from plans to instructions mostly and of course any relevant references we have at our disposal. I have a Corel kit which although I haven't started it's quite similar in what you have said as is the 2 Mamoli kits I also have, but all are definitely workable withe regards to great sets plans.

A few more planks , the areas pointed out not glued against the frames , they have to removed at a later stage anyway and I don’t want glue stains , just used them as a support . the front end , apart from sanding smooth leaving the double planking towards the first frame only , double decked as initially to low so adjusted , looks a bit bit better now.

IMG_2335.jpeg

IMG_2329.jpeg

IMG_2336.jpeg

Dear Robert. I am so glad that you are building the Batavia and enjoying the kit. Like you said, @Kolderstok quality is superb. The hull in oak will look splendid and is well worth the extra time and effort it takes. The oak is certainly not too difficult to bend, but the bent planks do tend to have a fair amount to spring back to them compared to the walnut. The saving grace is on the Batavia is that the bends are relatively gradual, long and sweeping.

Dear Robert. I am so glad that you are building the Batavia and enjoying the kit. Like you said, @Kolderstok quality is superb. The hull in oak will look splendid and is well worth the extra time and effort it takes. The oak is certainly not too difficult to bend, but the bent planks do tend to have a fair amount to spring back to them compared to the walnut. The saving grace is on the Batavia is that the bends are relatively gradual, long and sweeping.
Actually I am quite impressed with the Oak , it bends easy using an steam iron , don’t have to wet or soak just bend as we go along , the pinholes apart from on double planks on the

IMG_2349.jpeg

IMG_2348.jpeg

IMG_2347.jpeg

IMG_2346.jpeg

IMG_2345.jpeg

Used a Sikkens Stain ( yes a Dutch paint manufacturer also around the time the Batavia was built, I won’t be surprised the builders used their products , who knows , anyway I gave it a shot , I have received the little gadget for the hull planks and ordered some rudder hinges , didn’t like the brass strip that came with the kit . should be in the mail by next week so another task

received the Rudder hinges today and thought why not place them on the rudder , also the grating on deck , instead of cutting the individual segments I measured the total length and saw the individual pieces using my mini Proxxon saw bench , I don’t know how anybody cannot do or work without these tools , you might say it is looking a bit rough with hull planks with filler , mind you these will be painted.

IMG_2354.jpeg

IMG_2353.jpeg

IMG_2352.jpeg

IMG_2351.jpeg

Just catching up on your log, I'm fascinated by the Dutch ships, I have two in progress. Your planking looks great. I would be interested to see what you think of the Chamfering tool. I recently was "gifted one" and haven't assembled it yet.

Jan

Once sanded down the planking will look great. Just curious are you painting under the Waterline white or another colour ?

Just catching up on your log, I'm fascinated by the Dutch ships, I have two in progress. Your planking looks great. I would be interested to see what you think of the Chamfering tool. I recently was "gifted one" and haven't assembled it yet.

Jan
The Chamfering tool , it works okay , but since the hull planks are in Oak it is hard to see because of the density of the wood , in hindsight I might give it a shot with other timbers .

Back