Batavia VOC 1:72 Kolderstok by RobertD

I have only just found this build log. I grew up in Perth and I have visited the Batavia museum in Fremantle many times. In fact, it was that model of the Batavia in the museum that sparked off this whole ship modelling hobby for me. That museum is really something, even now you can still feel the desolation and emptiness, and how it must have been much worse for a bunch of stranded hungry Europeans. The best thing about that museum is that entry is STILL a gold coin donation (for non-Australians, an Australian gold coin is either $1 or $2) ... you can pay as much as you like or thought it was worth!

You are doing a great job with your model. I can't wait to see it finished.
Yes Keith , indeed a fascinating museum in Fremantle , not sure if there is a possibility to visit the Abrolhos site off Geraldton , perhaps they don’t want any tourists and fair enough

Make a few of you proudly jealous ! LOL , an incredible spot just north of CBD Sydney , 8am in the morning and this is Spring , the Batavia in her element adding shrouds and Ratlines , the Island in front of us is Scotland Island , water access only , so a ‘Tinny’ ( that’s what they call a tender) is required , on the right the Pittwater Peninsula , Palm Beach and the entrance towards the Tasman Sea, just added for your curiosity

IMG_2465.jpeg

IMG_2463.jpeg

IMG_2462.jpeg

Make a few of you proudly jealous ! LOL , an incredible spot just north of CBD Sydney , 8am in the morning and this is Spring , the Batavia in her element adding shrouds and Ratlines , the Island in front of us is Scotland Island , water access only , so a ‘Tinny’ ( that’s what they call a tender) is required , on the right the Pittwater Peninsula , Palm Beach and the entrance towards the Tasman Sea, just added for your curiosity

View attachment 405419

View attachment 405420

View attachment 405421
Wow! What a great view you have Robert.

View attachment 405419

View attachment 405420

View attachment 405421
Good morning Robert. Beautiful ship, beautiful home, beautiful view and a glorious day.....life is good!!! Cheers Grant

View attachment 405419

View attachment 405420

View attachment 405421

That sure is an incredible place to live.

View attachment 405419

View attachment 405420

View attachment 405421
I really hate these pictures, full of sunshine, especially since the weather over here took a turn for the worst: rain, storm and days shortening...

A model ship and a postcard backdrop! :)

So, how many clove hitchs will you have to make? More than a hundred per mast. o_O
I think justice has been served: boasting about how spring has arrived at this beautiful spot, just to make us on the northern hemisphere "proudly jealous" and still having to do a couple of hundred ratlines... :D

What a view and a great location to live!!! But more what a great ship she's become!
Back to the Dutch East Indies ! (Indonesia) to revive the trade of the VOC and history , of course a lovely lunch at Cafe Batavia , the old quarters of the Governor general’s office , sensational ! we sailed on the HAL Westerdam and the amount of history displayed on board very impressive

IMG_4496.jpeg

IMG_4468.jpeg

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_2460.jpeg

IMG_2462.jpeg

In the first photo you appear to be explaining, in detail, the merits of a using clove hitches on ratlines to your very captive audience, who, in turn, are praying for the conversation to come to an end ROTF
Just kidding. It looks like you had a magnificent trip Robert and I'm glad you enjoyed it Thumbsup

Back